Black Spots on Tomatoes

I have a brother and sister that are getting tomatoes that have a large black soft area on one side of the tomato. What is this and what can they do to prevent this? Thank you in advance for your help.

Stephen from N.E. Kansas

Black Spots on Tomatoes

if it's on the end opposite the stem, it may be 'blossom end rot'.... and that's caused by a lack of calcium in the soil... it should be fixed early in the season before planting.... but for now and this year's tomatoes, there's a spray available at a nursery or feed store that will help... and I've used crushed up TUMS dissolved in water, poured around the plant and then watered in lightly.... those with the black ends are goners... but those that will come from the next flowers should be a lot here for more info.. (07/17/2007)

By unfetteredsoul

Black Spots on Tomatoes

Blossom end-rot, which this sounds like it is can be caused by lack of calcuim but also can be caused by either too little water or too much water. I took have found this problem with my tomatoes and when I water correctly I don't have this happen, have only lost about 4 tomatoes to this. (07/26/2007)

By celticwench

Black Spots on Tomatoes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes