Bleach Stain on Formica Counter Top

I left a cleaner with bleach in it on top of my Formica countertop. Now there is a bleached out ring. Is there anything I can try before replacing the entire top?

Valerie from Florida

Answers:

Bleach Stain on Formica Counter Top

There is nothing you can do once the bleach has taken the colour out. It happened to me. However I did sort of solve the problem, I got the local hardware store to mix up a perfect match MELAMINE paint, very carefully applied 2 layers to the offending bleach stain (NOTE** allow the first layer to completely cure for 24 hours before applying the 2nd) and it worked quite well. It was 2 years before we were ready to replace the counter top, and the painted area held up extremely well.

Make sure the Melamine paint is in the same finish as your counter top ie: matte, semi-gloss, high gloss

Make sure you use a very small foam roller > a brush will leave stroke marks and look like an eyesore

Good Luck. (06/12/2007)

By hedera

Bleach Stain on Formica Counter Top

I would try and get a permanent marker pen in a similar colour, apply it to an old rag and brush lightly over the ring in circles I doubt it would wash off. I wouldn't colour the ring direct but apply it on a slightly damp rag. (06/13/2007)

By cazpumpkin

Bleach Stain on Formica Counter Top

Try Kaboom. Spray it on and let it sit--keep repeating if necessary. This has worked for me, but I did spray it immediately after the bleach left its mark.

I hate Formica Countertops--they stain so easily!

Good Luck! (06/15/2007)

By ginger

Bleach Stain on Formica Counter Top

A temporary fix that I have found works is any oil based wax. It re-darkens the area (which is now more porous due to the bleaching). I used a beeswax based wood care product and it held up for weeks. I simply reapply now and then. (07/20/2007)

By Hawaii Guy

Bottle of Clorox bleach.
Repairing Bleach Stains on Formica
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Counter Top Dishwasher
Buying a Counter Top Dishwasher
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 6:02:55 PM on 10.0.0.42 in 957 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.