Bleach Stains on Countertop

Category Miscellaneous
Bleach
Depending on the type of material used to make your countertops, using bleach to clean them may not be a good idea. Bleach can actually cause discoloration, when used on some countertops, that may be difficult or impossible to remove. This is a guide about bleach stains on countertop.

Is there any way to get rid of a bleach stain out of an orange countertop?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

I need some good advice on how to remove a white stain from my dark green countertop. I've tried vinegar, Oxy-Clean, Household Cleaner, and even Rubbing Alcohol to get it out. I'm not sure what caused it, but looks like the base of a tumbler that kids use when brushing their teeth. Not sure if it is stained from toothpaste or soap, bleach or what?

It's very obvious, except when it's wet, seems to disappear and there is not obvious sign of a stain until the area dries. When wet, the grain and design of the countertop are not damaged, but the 1/2 moon stain will gradually reappear as it dries.

Use liquid silver polish, tarn-x. Will take it out in seconds.

The only way I sometimes get dye out of my countertops (I dye fabric) is to bleach it, then take out the bleach stains with the tarn-x.

Thanks illiaccrest, TarnX did the job. I had tried most other tricks without success.

And I had a big stain on white formica.( It took all of five minutes!)

Do not use bleach on your white counter tops. They leave horrific yellow stains. I tried shout and lemon juice and the stains aren't as yellow, but they are still. I am going to try Tarnex next.

Hi, I have yellow stains on my white countertop that were caused by a soap dish that I bought from target. I have tried many things to get rid of them, but nothing is working, can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it!

I have a fountainhead molded counter top that has been stained by tea. How can I get the stains out? I have tried comet with bleach and other cleaners without success. Is there a protective coating I can apply once I get it clean. I need help. Thanks bwright @ Abilene.com

My white Corian counter has yellowed over time. How can I bring it back to white? I can't afford a new counter and am getting my house ready for this awful market.

I don't know of anything for bleach stains. But for coffee, tea, kool-aid, jello, and I-don't-know-what-in-the-world-this-is stains, I've successfully used a paste of baking soda. If mild rubbing doesn't remove it, I'll cover the paste with a wet cloth and leave it until the frustration of failure leaves me -- sometimes overnight (lol). It hasn't failed me yet for the types of stains I've been subjected to. Good luck.

I have a solution for the yellow discoloration left by bleach products on formica countertops. Try Silver Jewelry Cleaner. This will remove he yellow discoloration in seconds. I used the liquid stuff with the little basket inside the jar for the jewlery. It can be found at most stores with jewelry counters. I have purchased it at Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond ($4.99) The brand that I use is Connoisseurs Revitalizing Silver Jewelry Cleaner. Just wet a cloth and rub it on the countertop. The discoloration will disappear in seconds. I have white formica countertops and have also experienced the same yellow discoloration with the use of bleach products. This really works.

Thanks so much for that information about the silver cleaner. I went to wal-mart right away and could not believe how well it worked. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks, I used Tarnx and it worked great.

I have a white patterned formica counter top that I've used bleach on many times to get a coffee stain, kool aid stain, etc, and it worked fine with no bleach stains. However, I had a recent issue when I was soaking something in bleach water, and the water somehow leaked on to the counter, then leaving a yellowish stain. Going to try the Tarnx today. I'll post my results!

I just ruined my white counter tops with Westley's bleach white! Nothing works, there are mustard yellow stains everywhere? Please help.

By HUDSON121 from Frisco, TX

I would try to clean it all with regular comet cleanser, Good luck!

You might try a cleaner like "Dawn Power Dissolver" or a cheaper alternative and just as effective is a product you can buy at Dollar General and it is called "Awesome". I paid $1 for it at my Dollar General. A jar of pickled beets got tipped in my frig and the juice stained the white plastic parts of my frig. It took it right off where other products did not.

Try something called "Bar keepers Friend". I have used it numerous times to get stains out of my white formica countertops, and it works great. You may have to make a "paste" with some water and let it set on the stain for a while, depending on how long the stain has been there. I have great success with this product, works well on sinks too. It is in the isle close to the Comet in your grocery store.

I freaked out when my I noticed the countertops in my brand-new apartment had turned a disgusting yellow. I could not figure out what it was. I used bleach over and over again...not realizing that it was the bleach that was creating the problem. I have always used Clorox clean-up and had never had a problem in the past. I googled the problem looking for a solution and found this website. Thank God! One of the users suggested Tarnex and it worked in 30 seconds or less. I was blown away that the suggestion actually worked. I was prepared for disappointment. It worked fabulously.

I used bleach to clean my white counter tops now they have yellow streaks; it looks horrible. Any help?

We sprayed bleach onto our new laminate worktops, which has left a faded look where the bleach was sprayed. Any ideas on how to cover or remove the bleach ? Maybe a coating?

By Paul E