Blue Jeans Quilt Ideas

Category Ideas
Blue Jeans Quilt Ideas
Recycling blue jeans into craft projects is a great way to reuse this sturdy fabric. This is a guide about blue jeans quilt ideas.

Old jeans recycled to make a quilt with a flannel backing.

Approximate Time: 12 hours

Instructions:

The jeans and flannel are pre-washed, before cutting. After the desired shape of the quilt block is determined, cut your cardboard to the shape. I usually do a simple shape and start cutting the jean pieces.

After the jean pieces are all cut I find it easier to pin each on the flannel sheet and cut. I then sew a basting stitch around the 2 pieces and start making my stacks. I like my quilts BIG, so I usually try to use the biggest flannel sheet I can find. You don't usually have much waste of the sheet.

When I start piecing them together, I put a whole row together and lay it across a bed to get a idea of how many rows I will need, then I snip all the edges and continue to sew the rows together.

After I have all the rows sewn together I wash the quilt. It will be frayed on every edge, but because the edges are all snipped it makes it easier to pull all the threads. I put it in the dryer and dry it only about 90% dry. Jean material is very giving and can be pulled to shape. I then lay it on a clothes line in the basement and start pulling threads, this takes awhile, but it sure turns out nice.

By Sue from Whitinsville, MA

I had 5 pairs of my children's old jeans and were beyond repair. So I cut them into 8 x 8 squares and some were 8 x 4 rectangles. I arranged them as I desired. Using 1/2-inch seam allowance and with right sides together.

Sew the squares to each other forming one row. Then sew rows to each other.

With right sides together, I used an dark blue flat sheet as the back of the quilt.

Sew the front to the back (like a pillow case). Leave an opening for turning the right way. Then I sewed the last edge together.

And I have a quilt that will last a life time to pass on to my children's children. From jeans that my kids once wore.

By Tracey

Blue Jeans Quilts don't have to look like they are made from old blue jeans. I made this one using a purchased panel from Walmart and different colored old jeans plus some beads and a fleece backing to make this Indian style quilt for my sister. The blocks are laid out to represent the 4 directions and the beads (hard to see in the photo) also represent the 4 directions.

By Pat J

This is the first quilt that we made with our old jeans. It came out sew sew. Notice the pockets on the bottom. What a great place to put our clickers in.

By granylou98