Bobbin Isn't Picking Up Top Thread

I have a new singer 4166. The bobbin casing will not move to pick up the top thread. What is wrong? I checked the thread top and bobbin, but nothing will work, I can't sew.

Sherry

Answers:

Bobbin Isn't Picking Up Top Thread

First, I would check: is your needle in correctly, with the hole in the correct place? Is your bobbin in with the thread going the right direction? And lastly, do you have it set to sew, or is there a switch you have to move between sewing and bobbin filling? (01/07/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

Bobbin Isn't Picking Up Top Thread

I don't know if this will help with your problem or not, but my new Singer gave me fits with the bobbin thread so I took it back to JoAnn's Fabric. They showed me I was putting the bobbin in the case incorrectly. The bobbin needs to go in the case with the dangling tail of the thread on the left side. It would look like the letter "p" if you held the bobbin and looked at it. Also, to insert the bobbin case into the machine you have to hold the case by the little latch or arm on the case. It has to be extended out then you snap the case into the machine and fold the arm down. My 40 year old sewing machine wasn't picky about how you inserted the bobbin thread/case so this was news to me. Good luck as it sure is frustrating. Singer has a customer service : http://www.singerco.com/company/contact_us.html (01/08/2009)

By MaryCrane

Bobbin Isn't Picking Up Top Thread

Are you using a Singer needle? That seems to be important. I think there is a minute difference in length. (01/09/2009)

By siris

Bobbin Isn't Picking Up Top Thread

First rule of thumb for any sign of trouble: always replace the needle. They can become damaged with just 5 minutes of use, although that doesn't happen too often. Then go on to solving the problem. Also, make sure you have the tension set at the proper number for the needle, thread, and the cloth.

Your machine could also be a dud. I once had a Singer machine (brand new) that never worked very well, and that's because some other company was making them for Singer. That was a waste of my money and time. Before you drive yourself nuts over this problem, contact Singer and ask if they have recalled the machine, which I should have done many years ago and didn't! I know better now. (01/10/2009)

By cookwie

Bobbin Isn't Picking Up Top Thread

I had a similar problem with my machine and it had to do with the type of thread. I was using an upholstery thread on a project and had to switch back to cotton thread. Hope this helps! (01/10/2009)

By http://all-4-thebest.blogspot.com

Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
🎉
🎄