Soup StocksSoups

Bone Broth

Bone broth is incredibly healthy, and can be made at home with a slow cooker or on the stove. The collagen and calcium available in bones, as well as the contents of the marrow, provide many wonderful health benefits to everyone. When made right, this broth provides a wonderful flavor to all stews.

Prep Time: less than an hour

Cook Time: 8+

Yield: 1 gallon

Source: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/common-mistakes-bone-broth

1. Wash your bones.
  2. Put in the slow cooker with gallon of water and cup of vinegar. The vinegar helps the calcium leech into the broth.
  3. Add salt to taste, and pepper as well.
  4. Leave for 8 to 12 hours. Some folks leave it cooking for three days, if they do not have a crockpot or slow cooker.
  5. After it's finished, let it cool. Separate into pint-sized containers and freeze.
  6. Now you will always have nutritious broth to use as a base in any soup or stew!

I would like to make this, but have heard it smells terrible when cooking. Does it?

It definitely SMELLS, especially when you add the vinegar. As to it smelling terrible? I've definitely smelled (and eaten) worse smelling things ;)

I've made this twice, the first time in a pot on the stove and it DID smell overwhelming. The second time we opted to put the slow cooker outside, under an awning, when it wasn't raining, overnight.

If you have a slow cooker and can stick it on a porch or basement you'll probably do fine

Does not smell bad...I add lots of veggies. Use only grass Fed beef bones. I have not had to have my second hip replaced ...the pain is gone

Thank you.

I suggest that you access the source that Jean posted to learn more before you make the broth. I did and I taught me a lot - mostly about what mistakes I could make - although I think I'm already pretty good at making mistakes on my own. Jean didn't have enough space to include what the source did. It's long. Thank you Jean for posting this, Jean. I've been seeing "Bone Broth" all over the place and thought it would be to much trouble. You've inspired me!

thanks :)