Boston Brown Bread

I am looking for a Boston Brown Bread recipe. My mom use to make one that she baked in tin cans. We loved it. It is a a moist bread and great with butter or cream cheese spread on it.

Liz from New Baden, IL

Boston Brown Bread

My Mom used to make one in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, with molasses and raisins, is that what you are thinking of? At least for the taste? It was amazingly easy and so good! We could hardly wait for it to cool before we'd slather it with butter. Let me know and I can get the recipe from my book, it's really easy. (11/09/2006)

By Michawn

Boston Brown Bread

No molasses in it. Robin I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head. Thank you both. (11/10/2006)

By Ole Lulu

Boston Brown Bread

You will need 3 10-ounce coffee cans to bake this bread, although it can also be baked in 8X4 loaf pans (but then you will not have the beautiful rounds that make this bread special). The loaves can be frozen for up to 1 month. This recipe is from Massachusetts' infamous baker René Becker of the Hi-Rise Bread Company.

Boston Brown Bread

• 2 1/3 cups organic rye flour
  • 1 1/4 cups organic all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups organic whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup organic oat flour
  • 3/4 cup coarse stone-ground yellow cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup dried currants or raisins(4 ounces)
  • 1 quart milk
  • 3/4 cup molasses

Remove one of your oven racks and preheat oven to 300°.
Generously butter three 10-ounce coffee cans. In an extra large mixing bowl combine all the flours. Stir in cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt and dried fruit.

In a separate bowl, whisk the milk with the molasses. Slowly add to the dry ingredients, stirring until the batter is smooth and combined.
Pour the batter into the greased coffee cans. Stand the cans in the center of the oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the loaves are springy to the touch. Place cans on wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes, then unmold. Slice bread into rounds and serve.

When the loaves have reached room temperature, they can be wrapped in wax paper and placed in a thick plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Boston Brown Bread

These recipes are from Moody's Diner in Maine.

Mom's brown bread

• 1 cup rolled oats
  • 3 cups graham flour
  • 3 cups buttermilk or sour milk
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 3t. b.soda

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, and mix well Pour batter into greased coffee cans,2/3 full. Cover top with tin foil and steam 3 hours. Makes four 1 lb. loaves.

• 1 cup graham flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
  • 1 1/2 t. b. soda

Combine dry ingredients.
add buttermilk and molasses , and mix thouroughly.
Pour batter into 2 well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with was paper and secure with elastic band. Steam 2 hours. (11/11/2006)

By Megan's mom

Boston Brown Bread

Robin's Boston Brown Bread is exactly the recipe I have that my mum & Granny made for years. They called it "War Cake" It's really tasty! (03/14/2008)

By Mairmie

Boston Brown Bread
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Brown Bread
Slow Cooker Boston Brown Bread Recipes
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree