Boy-Girl Sleepover Advice

Teens roasting marshmallows around a campfire.
Parents can find themselves struggling with the request by their child to host a co-ed sleepover. This is a guide about boy-girl sleepover advice.

Would you let your 10 year old daughter have a boy/girl sleepover?

Sariah

Answers

Never in a million years! I wouldn't mix both male and female, you'd be asking for trouble.

Not even at gunpoint.

Never! A a co-ed sleepover isn't necessary or appropriate ever.

This same question was posted by someone else a few weeks ago, go back in search for it. I think it had like 80+ post on it. You'll find most post were 12 yr olds saying yes, very few adults/parents respond and the ones who did strongly suggest NO. Being a mother of an already grown daughter I can tell for sure you will regret it so I say you definitely should not. My thought on it is this" anything that can done in fun should end when its time to go to sleep and send them all on home" because the nights over then and nothing else is left to do. And you should not lose sleep all night watching them and only problems can occur from it. The other post was a boy/girl party sleepover, I think they were ages 12-14 yrs. Even if it's not your child who would get curious, other kids there might and if they got too curious and ended up pregnant or found out too much info you would feel terrible. I see you just mean two kids of age 10 boy/girl but I think it would set a beginning problem for you down the road when they would want more demands or request for more situations like that one. But, that's just my opinion due to prior experience of motherhood.

Never! No,no, a thousand times no! Please do not let your girl have or attend one of these.

I vote with the overwhelming "no" faction, a reallllly big NO!

Absolutely no way. Maybe a slumber party with just girls. I personally think that boys and girls are put into situations where they are together and there is no need for it at these tender ages. Let the kids be kids while they can. I remember having just girl slumber parties and we spent the better part of the time talking about boys and that was always fun. Good luck in your decision..deb

NO! I wouldn't let a child of any age have a boy/girl sleepover.

I teach high school. Trust me, it is hard enough keeping things under control in a classroom sometimes. I'd hate to be the adult responsible for keeping things under control in the living room overnight.

absolutely NOT!

If my son got an invitation from your daughter for a sleepover I would ask him not to socialize with her at all. The invitation would make your whole family look morally bad.

I don't think that a co-ed sleepover is appropriate at any age. A party for both boys and girls might be fun, but usually kids of this age prefer girls only or boys only for a birthday. It is not a matter of trust; it is a matter of what is appropriate for the age. Girls of 10 should be still playing with Barbies or maybe doing each other's hair. Boys should be wrestling or playing soccer. I am sorry if that sounds sexist, but I teach kids this age, and this is the sort of thing they are interested in.

You are setting up a path for a lot of future bad decisions. Tell your kid NO no matter how much they pout. You are the parent & they are the kid. Most parents would disapprove of you for allowing such a thing to happen. I would not want YOU to be in charge of my child or grandchild in any way. This is very irresponsible to even consider such a thing.

You would be responsible for what goes on & if something should happen you would be liable & we're talking possible jail time here. Be the parent & say no way. Let's think of something else that would be fun or it will be family time only.

My 12 year old daughter wants to have a boy and girl sleepover, but I don't think its a good idea. Any advice?

Thanks,
Aryana

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My 12 year old daughter wants to

have a boy and girl sleepover, but I don't think its a good idea. Any advice?

Thanks,
Aryana

Answers:

12 Year Old Sleepover?

Unless you want to stay up all night with the kids, I don't think a boy/girl sleepover is such a hot

idea. It also might not go over well with many parents.

See if your local skating rink has something called an "all night skate". The kids stay over night

and are watched in most places. I remember doing this with my friends and family members for years as

a kid. (06/16/2005)

By zoombit

12 Year Old Sleepover?

It would depend on how much I trust and know my daughter. Is she "into" boys or they just friends? I

might allow it and have the boys sleep in another room or in a tent in the back yard. (06/16/2005)

By Suitsme

12 Year Old Sleepover?

I have to agree that a mixed gender sleepover is a poor idea. Maybe the boys could come over for a

certain amount of time under supervision and the girls could stay the night. That skating rink idea

sounds like a good alternative as well. (06/16/2005)

By Suzanne S.

12 Year Old Sleepover?

I would never even consider this whether she is boy crazy or not. Do the all night skating, but if

your at home and fall asleep your totally responsible for anything that happens in your home, at

least in public it would be easier to stay awake. (06/16/2005)

By boo

12 Year Old Sleepover?

No. I have allowed boys to attend the pizza part of a party and then hang around with the girls on

the trampoline (they mostly sat on it and listened to music) and then the boys went home. However, my

daughter was older when she had this party. (06/16/2005)

By Ann

12 Year Old Sleepover?

Have a supervised nighttime party with both girls and boys. Make it fun and crazy with silly games

and hilarious prizes, karaoke, volleyball, a neighborhood scavenger hunt, or other stuff the kids may

enjoy doing together. Let them play their music as loud as they want and have lots of pizza, pop and

other kid fare on hand. The girls can sleep over and the boys go home after the party. Don't

broadcast it to the boys that the girls are sleeping over, or they may come back around and pull

pranks late at night, unless boys have changed a lot since we were young. (06/16/2005)

By Mary

12 Year Old Sleepover?

By the time I was a senior in high school, back in 1992, many of my acquaintances, even my fellow

"good girl" friends, had taken the plunge and unwittingly exposed themselves to AIDS or had had

pregnancies or abortions. This situation was very stressful for them and they were in high school.

However, this waltz with risky behavior began earlier than you can even imagine for most of us, even

the level-headed ones.

I'm not sure of your generation, but please consider that high school students in states all over

the country are caught engaging in mass orgie parties, have learned to expect these sleepovers as a

means of hooking up, and tend to consider oral sex to be as regular a thing to do, even at 12 years

old, as holding hands or kissing. The pressure to perform and the acceptability of performing out of

the range of personal comfort grows in group situations, which I'm sure you might remember.

To be honest, our parents in that generation were far too permissive or just plain lazy and

negligent. But now bi-gender sleepovers between 12 year olds now, to be honest, is even more

dangerous than bi-gender sleepovers then. Don't go there. You are responsible for more than just your

child and her health. You are teaching them how to parent, when the time is right of course, and how

to distinguish between what is appropriate in society vs. what they can manage to get away with.

This is a time to teach your daughter about the fragility of reputation as well. Her life at

school can be easily wrecked by a boy with a taste for vengeance or with bragging on his mind, or a

girl out to take her down socially. Putting her in that situation only makes her more vulnerable to

this frenzied group of hormonal curious and socially insecure beings. (07/06/2005)

By JW

12 Year Old Sleepover?

OK, I am 14 and though I have a boy friend, I would "never" even dream of him or any of my other guy

friends spending the night. Also I have been invited to one of my guy friend's parties, because they

see me as "one of the guys" if you know what I mean. So I went to the party part, but left at about

8ish.

So if I were in your position, I would say no. She is only 12 there is no way she is old enough to

have a boy friend let alone a boy/girl sleep over. You are the mom. My mom and I are really close and

I trust her judgment. Maybe you and your daughter can make a compromise, meet in the middle.

My guy friends understand that I am not able to spend the night with them, they just give me full

recaps in e-mails or at lunch. So you need to stand your ground, but if the guys that your daughter

wants to spend the night are truly her friends, they will understand that she is not able to have guys

spend the night.

Tomoko (07/26/2005)

By Tomoko

12 Year Old Sleepover?

No would probably be the best answer. As to all the people that say no because of the boys, the girls

are just as likely to start something these days. Just keep that in mind when you are answering. I

just graduated HS and you wouldn't believe how common it was for the girl to start something. The

reputation thing is right, but girls can also ruin other girl's if they are jealous. Don't mean to

make anyone mad. Just wanted to let you know what happens in the schools from somebody who is there

all the time.
(08/01/2005)

By Ashley

12 Year Old Sleepover?

Sure. Go ahead. Yes. It will make your child really happy and she will have lots of fun. Just make

sure that you watch her and that she doesn't do anything bad. So just check on her every once in a

while. (08/06/2005)

By Janet

12 Year Old Sleepover?

Trust is not the issue here. It is inappropriate to allow boys to sleep over even if "nothing"

happens. I can understand why some of the children advised you to say yes they are not yet able to

make a sound judgement. What I can't understand is why any of the adults would agree. I guess growing

up doesn't always result in common sense.

You are setting yourself and your daughter up for trouble if you allow it. Like I said, even if

"nothing" happens, there is still gossip to contend with. I don't ordinarily advise people to do

something just to avoid gossip, but this situation would be so scandalous that you can expect it to

be discussed in impolite society for years. It can easily destroy a young girl to be talked about

like that. Gossip is deadly and I wouldn't encourage anyone to gossip about your child by setting her

up for it.

Moral issues aside, having boys at a sleepover even at 16 or 17 really does invite trouble. At 12

it invites disaster. 12 year olds still don't know just how bad the pressure can get, and they aren't

prepared to say no should the situation arise. They may think they can, and they may be determined to

do what they know they should. But their experience levels aren't in agreement yet. It's not a matter

of trust, even the best kids can get caught in an unexpected situation and find themselves less in

control of their own actions than they thought they were. It takes years to learn how to resist

powerful urges like a full blown sex drive, so even good kids need to be careful. It is better for

you to sit down with your daughter and explain to her that having the boys stay overnight is not a

good idea. Girls need time to just be with other girls anyway. It is an important part of their

development.

There are some good suggestions here. I would use them. It is good that your daughter wants to

spend some time with boys in a social situation. This should be encouraged. But I suggest you

politely escort the boys to the door when it is getting to be time to change into pajamas. Your

daughter might even thank you, if not immediately then later.

Denise (09/23/2005)

By Denise2003

12 Year Old Sleepover?

This sounds really fun. Maybe if your child has a brother the boys can sleep in his room? Keep

checking on them, but don't make anyone feel unconformable. Thanks (11/30/2008)

By Katy