Bread Machine Tips and Tricks

Saving time and energy baking bread at home can be accomplished with a bread machine. This page contains bread machines tips and tricks.

June 22, 2006 Flag

When making bread machine bread, I make one recipe for the machine, and another one for the zip bag. I omit any liquid or fat from the bag, and write the measurements for the water, oil, etc, and temperature/baking time on the label. You could make up as many of these homemade bread mixes as you wanted. I store mine in the refrigerator.

If I need fresh bread all the drudgery of getting the ingredients out is gone. Just heat up the water to activate the yeast, throw in the dry mix, add hot water and oil, and turn on the bread machine. It's so darn quick I wonder why I didn't think of it sooner. I always let the dough do it's second rising in a real bread pan, and bake the loaf in the oven. The machine came with scads of recipes for variety.

I like serving a loaf of bread that I know contains no preservatives, and all the ingredients are fresh. The stores can't beat my fresh loaf for the little bit it cost me for the ingredients and my time is well worth it. The bread makes a nice surprise for a neighbor or friend, too.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Do you have any bread machine tips? Post your ideas below!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

King Arthur Flour - web site has some very good receipts for bread machines. I use my bread machine often. I especially like to use in summer. Then I can have fresh bread without the heat of the oven.

May 25, 2012 Flag

Nothing smells any more awesome that homemade bread baking. And nothing is more loved than fresh bread. Bread has received a bad name. Oh, the carbs! The wheat! But you can make your bread, and eat it too! In my family we love bread. Not the chemical laden bread sold on a shelf with a price that takes your breath away. But a piping hot fresh loaf, fresh from the oven or the bread machine.

I am one busy woman. I can mix and knead bread by hand with the best of them, but I simply do not have the time. Several years ago I was laughed at by an in-law who looked down her nose at my using a bread machine. She informed me she made "real bread". And insinuated I did not know how to. Funny thing, she now owns two of them. :-)

I purchased my first bread machine years ago, it has long since worn out. Actually, through the years, I have worn out several of them. But I never purchased another one. I have picked them up in pristine like new condition for a song at thrift stores, or I have had them given to me. The one I am using now was purchased as a wedding gift for a couple and they decided they did not want it, and they gave it to me unused. Thank you!

Most of the time I admit I use my machine to make dough, and shape them into rolls and use a conventional oven to bake it is, especially in the winter time. But in the hot weather I allow my bread machine to bake it for me. If you are too busy to make your own bread, you are in luck! You can set the timer and have wonderful homemade bread when you come home from work.

Do you like pizza? Me too! I use my bread machine to mix up a batch of awesome homemade dough that makes a melt in your mouth pizza crust! Using olive oil and wheat flour it is certainly a lot healthier than the local pizzeria fanfare. And for those with a sweet tooth, cinnamon rolls are a snap using your bread machine to make the dough. (Yes, you can actually make them fairly healthy using wheat bread and diabetic friendly sweeteners.)

A search on the internet will find you scores of tried and true bread machine recipes that you can adjust to your liking and dietary needs. Jalapeno cheese, oatmeal raisin, the options are unlimited! Along with the machine you will need to make sure you have your supplies ready. I do not buy small packages of yeast, the cost per tiny pack is way too high. I prefer to buy a "block" of yeast; a huge one or two pound vacuum sealed package of yeast is enough to last me a long time. I store mine in a huge plastic jar in the freezer, so that it stays fresh.

I keep a supply of wheat flour, soft wheat flour, and a little all-purpose flour (just in case I choose to mix them). The cost is so much cheaper than store bought bread, the taste is SO much better, and unwanted preservatives are left out. So, if you are a bread eater, the next time you see a shiny bread machine beckoning to you from a thrift store shelf, consider giving it a good home.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are so right! Grocery store bread is outrageous - and not nearly as healthy as they want us to believe. We see loaves of dark brown bread there and think they must be whole wheat. But they are actually colored with molasses (if you are lucky) or with who knows what kind of chemical.

I make loaves of stone ground wheat with rye, and they are not as dark as store bought.

What is worse is the high fiber breads. The label tells you the bread has cellulose in it - guess what? that means wood. Yup, they are putting the equivalent of saw dust in our bread and charging and arm and two legs for it! We tend to think that food labels are complete - nope.

They don't have to put anything on the label that they call "proprietary" - in other words, if they say it is a secret ingredient that would give their recipe away to competitors, they don't have to list it.

What is worse, they do not have to tell regulators what that secret ingredient is! They can put anything in so long as there is not a law requiring disclosure of a specific food, such as peanuts. Making bread for your family is truly a special gift that everyone will love!

May 11, 2004 Flag

This tip includes a recipe. The tip is for using a bread machine, but still having that "Old-Fashioned" Homemade loaf of bread.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 13, 2008 Flag

We just got another bread machine and have been waking up to the utterly heavenly aroma of fresh bread and coffee, set to finish just as our first alarm rings.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 6, 2006 Flag

I use vegetable oil in my bread machine recipes instead of margarine. The taste and texture is much better. I use 1/4 cup oil for a 1 1/2 lb loaf...

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2010 Flag

I got this old bread machine at a sale. The model is Welbilt #ABM-100-4. Am I able to just make the bread dough mixture in this? I don't know how to do this as I do not have the instructions for it. By the way how old is this machine any way? Thank you.

Gladys

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello again, I googled your bread maker & this site has your manual & recipes for your bread maker. Go to: (www.creativehomemaking.com)

[PDF] Welbilt ABM-100-4 Manual & Tips - THE BREAD MACHINEFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

(MODEL ABM-1OO-4.) Please take a few minutes to read ABM-100-4. Congratulations on owning a (Welbilt) automatic bread machine. For best www.creativehomemaking.com/.../Welbilt_ABM-100-4_Manual.pdf - Similar

:) KJ

A simple google got this:

http://www.scri  -Machine-Manuals

I had posted this a few days back for someone asking the same question.

May 16, 2011 Flag

What's the difference between bread machine yeast and regular yeast? Thanks.

By Cindy from OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The yeast used in bread machines is the instant dry yeast, which can also be used for baking without a bread machine. There are other types of yeast, and different ways of using them, so you should follow the instructions in a recipe for the type, amount and method of usage.

The rapid cycle in a bread machine is for bread or cake made without yeast but with another form of raising agent such as baking powder or bicarb of soda.

The difference is that you do not need to proof your yeast. I have used both successfully in a bread machine, however. My bread machine calls for the wet ingredients to be put in first and then the dry ingredients with the yeast on top. If I am making a whole wheat or rye bread, I often use extra gluten for that too. You can buy yeast much, much cheaper if you go to an Amish or Mennonite community. They buy things in bulk and repackage and it saves a bundle. They also carry all kinds of flour to make your bread baking interesting. Another good site is www.kingarthurflour.com. They have excellent tutorials on a lot of things.

May 8, 2008 Flag

I have a bread machine (ABM-100-3SN 37128644). I set the machine on French bread, pushed start, it starts kneading, then stops in 10 min. then nothing. Timing Set is not on. I have tried timing but still no results. Please help. I need bread today, but my machine did not come with instructions. I have all ingredients in. What buttons do I need to push to make bread? Thanks.

Mike

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For french bread, the cycle is:

Primary kneading 15 minutes

Primary rising 60 minutes

Secondary kneading 18 minutes

Secondary rising 20 minutes

Loaf shaping 2 seconds

Final rising 75 minutes

Baking 23-50 minutes

Cooling 42-15 minutes

After the primary kneading, the dough will just set there and rise; the machine will seem to do nothing. The timer button is used only when you want the machine to make bread later that day--I never used mine.

I've had the welbilt bread machine for a while and just started to use it today. I threw in the ingredients and it started it up... nothing happened... I waited for it to mix... and nothing 2 hours later... I know for whole wheat it says you should wait so the liquid can absorb the dry ingredients? But I'm making a sweet bread, so I chose that function. I pulled out the pan and felt the heat wire, and it was hot... is this normal? I've plugged and unplugged several times now... help please

June 22, 2014 Flag

Can I make bread in a bread machine without the paddle?

By Carolyn from Dunnellon, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would try making up the batter by hand and then put it in the machine to rise and bake.

I use mine to mix the bread but take it out to rise and bake as my machine does not cook it as well as the oven does.

December 7, 2013 Flag

What is the preferred order for adding ingredients when using a Hitachi bread machine?

By GEM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Always add your liquids first. Then add the dry ingredients and your yeast last.

September 9, 2013 Flag

The shaft on my Hitachi bread machine will not go back and forth. The blade comes out, so that is not stuck. I had to knead the bread by hand. I boiled the bread pan in water for about 15 minutes with water around the pan and inside the pan. How can I get this to work? Last time I used it it was fine.

By Karen from Mason City, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you take three or four pictures of the mixing/baking pan inside and underneath. That might give one of we viewers an idea of how to fix. I had shaft problems with my Oster 2 pounder and with just a couple of simple fixes I'm using it again with no problems.

June 29, 2013 Flag

Will my bread machine continue with its regular cycle after a power surge? My bread machine was in the "rising" mode when we had a power surge. I don't have a manual because it was purchased at a yard sale. Can you tell me if the machine will continue with the cycle or do I need to just throw out the dough?

By Valorie R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't think it will be a problem. Just continue the programme and see what happens.

I make my bread by hand now. 18 ounces of flour, mixed with 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 and a quarter teaspoons of salt, rub in 1 ounce of butter, stir in 1 and a half teaspoons of dried yeast, 10 fluid ounces of warm water, knead for about 10 minutes, leave in tin for about an hour, only one rise required. Cook in hot oven for about half an hour.

March 13, 2013 Flag

I use a Welbilt Bread Machine ABM 3100. I have had this bread machine for a long time and it worked fine. The last 2 times the bread didn't rise. I bought new yeast and the flour is new bread flour. The machine doesn't seem warm during the rising time. I thought I remember it being warm during that time. When the bread cooks it only is half the container. Does anyone know if their machine is warm during the rising time of the dough?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a bread machine that did the same thing and I finally just pitched it. Bad mistake. Since then, I found another one on Craigslist and got it for $20.00. I didn't like the way it baked the bread so now I use it just to mix my dough. Ater it is mixed well, I pour the dough out into a baking pan sprayed with Butter Pam. I set the oven to warm and let it rise in the oven for about 45 minutes. Afterwards, I bake it in the oven. I like my bread baked in the oven much better than baked in the bread machine.

October 4, 2007 Flag

I need bread machine recipes for breads that are on the sweet side, for snacks. Also, I need recipes to feed an extremely picky 10 year old.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gondola Bread

1 c warm water

1 egg

2 T olive oil

1/2 c sugar

3 2/3 c. all purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp yeast

Put in dough cycle. Take out, divide into 2. Roll each with your hands to make 12 in "worms". Place on greased cookie sheet, Let rise for 20 minutes. Bake 350 for 9-11 minutes.

Sweet Bread

2/3 c. milk (warm)

1 egg

1 1/2 T marg

1/2 c. sugar

2 c bread flour

2 1/2 tsp yeast

Bread - dough cycle - take out and place in bread pan. Let rise till double. Bake 350 for 30 minutes. Tent top of bread with aluminum foil for all 30 minutes, Remove and brown top in about 2 minutes. It keeps from over browning top of bread.

Cinnamon Bread - take out after dough cycle. Gently shape into 9x12. Lay on grease surface. Combine 1/2 c sugar, 1 T flour, cinnamon to taste. Pour over top of bread and roll up. Follow above baking instructions.

This makes wonderful dinner rolls.

Good luck

I would be better able to reply to the request for recipes for the picky 10 year old if I either 1/ knew what he or she DID like or 2/ what he or she DOES NOT LIKE (whichever list is shorter. I have lots of recipes, but I will need help from you to narrow it down.

February 27, 2014 Flag

Do I have to set the timer for the bread to complete the cycle? I have the Welbilt AB 100-4 machine. I set the bread setting and clicked on start. It kneaded and is rising. Will it heat up on its own or was I supposed to set the timer?

By Grace B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 8, 2013 Flag

I'm using the "dough" mode. After it is done and I make rolls. Do I need to make the rolls and let it rise again or is it ready to bake right out of the bread machine? Thank you.

By Sue from KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2013 Flag

Can I bake a 2 lb. loaf in my Pillsbury model 1021 bread maker?

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2013 Flag

We got our machine from the thrift store and tried it for the first time today, after washing it and all that.

It left a funny, almost plasticy taste in the bread. Anyone have a solution for that?

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2013 Flag

I have a ABM 3100 bread machine I've had for awhile with no manual. It worked fine, but lately the bread only rose to half way. I thought the machine was warm in the time the bread was rising, but last 2 times its wasn't. I changed flour and replaced my yeast which was still good. Does anyone have a Welbilt? Does it feel warm when the bread is rising?

By lindachinook

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2010 Flag

My niece gave me an extra bread machine she has as mine broke. The book for the Welbilt ABM1L23 does not say if you are able to make just dough in the dual pan machine. Can any one tell me if this is possible?

Thanks from Ohio.

By Janet from Mt. Blanchard, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 31, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to use a bread machine to make regular bread? I want the bread machine to do the work and then put it in a regular bread pan to finish and look like a real loaf of bread.

Tricia

Answers:

Making Regular (Baked) Bread in a Bread Machine

I make bread like this all the time. Just put your ingredients (enough for 1 loaf of bread) in the bread machine. First put in the liquid and the shortening or oil, then add the salt, sugar, flour and yeast. Set your bread machine to the "Dough" cycle. After a few minutes of mixing and kneading, it will beep. At this point, click the Stop or Off button.

Remove the pan from the machine, and dump the dough into a greased bowl. Turn once, cover with a towel and let rise until double in bulk. Shape into a loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Turn the oven on to 375 degrees F to preheat. Let it rise again until just a little above the edge of the pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let set for about 2 minutes and then dump from the pan onto a thick towel. Wrap hot bread in the towel and let it set until cool. Slice and eat or store in a plastic bag until ready to slice and serve.

Harlean from Arkansas (06/24/2004)

By Harlean from AR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsMay 27, 2012
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
bread loaf in a bread machine pan
Keeping Bread From Sticking in a Bread Machine
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 6:17:28 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.