Bridal Shower Gift Ideas

Choosing just the right gift for an upcoming bridal shower can be difficult, there are so many possibilities. This is a guide about bridal shower gift ideas.

When going to a wedding shower, I purchase two sets of booties. I nicely wrap 1 blue bootie and 1 pink bootie. I wrap the 2 booties and put a note in the box. I do not sign the card. The note reads something like this.

Will it be a boy, or
Will it be a girl?
Invite me to your baby
Shower and you will get
The 2nd bootie at that time.

- Anonymous

I have even gone to another city and had it mailed to the address on the RSVP, just so the bride has no idea where it came from. Hard to keep it a secret, but it gets everyone wondering "who sent it". That really throws everyone off.

By Cathy from Plainfield, IL

I agree with veda815. What if the couple does not want, or can not have children?

This is adorable! If the bride is a good friend, you will know what household items to use in creating your custom-made Kitchen Maid. And today, some couples have joint wedding showers, so you can also build a Kitchen Mate for the husband-to-be. Here's how:

Instructions:

1. Begin with an ironing board to be the body of the Maid or Mate.
  2. Tie an apron with pockets around the middle to make a waist. Fill them with smaller kitchen items, utensils or tools.
  3. Attach a plunger on one side of the back of the ironing board as an arm and a toilet bowl brush or feather duster as the other arm.
  4. Add a dustpan at the wide end of the ironing board for feet or set the ironing board on top of a vacuum and bind with several elastic cords under the apron (as we did in the photo).
  5. Secure a string mop as the head of hair to the back of the ironing board with the mop portion flopped over the top narrow end of the ironing board.
  6. Create a face with nylon net scrubbies for the eyes, a small sponge for the nose and a nailbrush for the mouth.

Use your imagination to make this an amusing, but useful, addition to the wedding shower party. Just remember to make the Kitchen Maid or Mate with anything you think the bride or groom will need for their new life together.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

So cute. Clever, as well. By the time I was ready to get married, my mother had totally filled my "hope

chest", with such practical things as this; along with sets of dishes, flatware, and pots 'n pans. This allowed me to add to it along the way, so that when the day arrived, I would have 'completed' my shower gifts with things seldom thought of. You would be the exception in putting together so many needed items the couple might not even know they need until they get into their home? Yet, with so many living together for years ahead, we'd better KNOW our couple fairly well before choosing or making ANY gift, right? God bless you for all the effort it took to do this and with your pure heart! : )

Do you need a last minute bridal shower or wedding gift and don't have much cash? For the cost of a pack of index cards you can write or print out all of your favorite recipes and start a recipe collection for your person of honor.

Wrap them with a ribbon or you could go further and buy a recipe box with dividers. If you don't have time to write out more than one or two recipes, you could buy a baking dish and enclose one or two recipes they could make and bake in that dish that you gave them.

By Tawnda

Thanks ladies. I am totally out of the loop on this type of thing and I'm going to a shower today. I was fretting because I had NO idea of where to even start! So glad I found this site!

Buy a nice basket or ceramic jar and fill it full of all sorts of kitchen cooking utensils. I had someone do this for me and I appreciated it so much.

If you're having a hard time thinking of a shower gift for the bride-to-be, a good present might be a gift wrapping center. Get one of those tall storage containers for the long roll wrap, add some bows, scissors, tape, etc. By June S.

I am looking for some unique bridesmaid's gifts. Does anyone have any ideas? The ages of everyone in the bridal party is 17-26. There are four girls. Do people normally give the maid of honor a slightly better gift? How does this work? Thanks!

Dana from Omaha, NE

I bought a beautiful charming multi gems gold bracelet for my sister who is my maid-of-honor and bracelet watches from Guess for my two bridesmaids.

http://www.part  ng-planning.html

Have you ever checked out sammoon.com? They have some amazing jewelry and accessary ideas. They have cute necklaces - some are only $5.95 each!! Or look at their luggage. A makeup case is about $6.95. Very inexpensive but very elegant!

I am a wedding florist. I often suggest a beautiful vase that the attendants can use to place their bouquets in on the head table during the reception. It makes a nice keepsake, and isn't something you would buy for yourself.

My gift to my bridesmaids? I'm paying for their dresses (and, if I can afford it, hair and makeup on the day) ... they appreciate not having to spend cash on dresses they're never wearing again!

Is it customary to buy a gift for both the Bridal Shower and the wedding? Also, if so, do I get both gifts from the Bridal registry list?

DJ4JC from Washington, IN

If you are invited to the shower and the wedding, you need to buy a gift for both events. It is customary to buy them from the registry or you can give money for the wedding gift.

Yes, it's customary to give to both. And no, the register is just a suggestion. It'll give you an idea of the bride and groom's wants, colors, etc. The gift giver ultimately decides what he/she wants to give. Often several individuals chip in what they can afford to give a nice or monetary gift. More is spent on the wedding than the shower gift usually. Amount is dictated by the area you live in and varies greatly. Don't go over what you can afford though. Where I live, $100 is extremely generous and rarely given, even by the family (except for parents or grandparents) for the wedding.

Sometimes Bridal Showers have a theme. IE Kitchen, Bathroom etc. Then of course you could get something that goes with that theme. You never have to get things from the registry. That is just a suggestion of things the couple wants and needs. You may come up with an idea that is even better that they hadn't thought of. My daughter gave her cousin a recipe box filled with recipes for a shower gift. Some where family related such as the stew you liked when you came for your last visit. Most had little notes attached that gave little stories or where the recipe originated from. This was one of her fav gifts and definitely not on her registry list.

like the web-site but you need 2 post pic's of the items!!!

I just wanted to know if you can give me some tips on what to get the bride:)

By Juliana from Seattle, WA

If you have been invited to a shower or wedding you must know somebody that knows what they want or need.

It depends on age and circumstances of bride. Very young - not lived on her own or barely out there bride: be very practical: Appliances, linens, towels, bowl sets, pots and pans, silverware. Some unusual ideas: cookbook, spices or spice kits (Penzey's has excellent spices), set of scissors (I got this as a young bride and loved it), gift certs at practical stores (target, Walmart, etc) and check for bridal registrations. Older, more established brides: more extravagant items such as what you might find at Crate and Barrel, Wms. Sonoma, gift certs, check for bridgal registeries, lingerie.

Frames are always a great bet. Small and fancy to Larger and practical, your bride will have tons of photos once the wedding is over. If you are crafty, make a special frame with crocheting or sewing. I hope this helps. I Googled homemade wedding frames and got tons of ideas.

http://www.goog  ames&spell=1

PBP

Check the bridal dept. of your local department stores to see if the bride is registered there. That way you will be able to purchase something she wants and keep within your price range. Most brides today register at a local store.

Many years ago I had a craft magazine that showed how to make a mop bride. Does anyone have the instructions? I remember you use sponges in the hair for curlers and funnels for breasts. I can't remember much other, but I would love to make one of these for a dear friend getting married soon.

By Angie F.

Angie,

I have that craft magazine for I made that mop bride for my daughter's wedding shower back in 1992 so please if you still need those instructions, can you let me know as I have hundreds of magazine's to look through, as I will start with 1992 and work backwards. I think it was in Crafts N' Things magazine, I do have all my magazine's filed by dates so it shouldn't take to long to find but don't want to search if you have found the instructions already and can you give me a time frame as to when you need it?

Thank You,

Elaine

My best friend is getting married and I want to make her something special. I want to make something for her from a piece of my veil. It has lace and bead work on it. I have thought of a hanky, but can't figure out how to do it. Any gift suggestions or ideas on the hanky?

By Sarah C.

Anonymous

Cut material in small rectangle and fold in half. Turn fabric inside out and sew each side. Fill it with potpourri and tie with ribbon from the bridesmaids. She can put in dresser to make clothes smell good and refill scent when needed.

I am looking for the instructions and the poem for making a bridal shower mop maid. I use to have both the poem and the instructions but have lost them. I am willing to buy the poem and the instructions.

By Patricia K