Brown Areas on My Green Bell Peppers

Why do my young green peppers develop brown areas on the bottom or bottom sides?

By Steven

Hi Steven, Mine also did that one time so I had to do some homework. Some causes are sunburn and if this is the case, you won't be able to cure the ones already affected but in the next batch, give them plenty of nitrogen fertilizer in the beginning. This will help produce a lot of foliage which will help to protect the fruit. Some other possibilities are a cold snap and/or the soil. Peppers need fertile, well drained soil. Peppers are susceptible to a few diseases but they are fun to grow and if it were me, I'd start another plant or two since it's still early in the season. Not to mention that it's great to be able to pick and eat the ones you grow yourself. I also learned that it's best, once the peppers start growing, they don't touch each other. Some times this causes weird growth and bruising. Good Luck!

It might be blossom-end rot, a condition that affects peppers and tomatoes amongst others. Affected fruits tend to get brown or black rotted patches along the bottoms. It's due to calcium deficiency and can be caused by over or under-watering. You might want to search for more info to see if you think it's what you've got, and how to treat it. Hope you get it taken care of!

By the way, there are sprinkle-on additives for your garden to give calcium. You can even clean, bake, and crush eggshells and toss them into your soil, work them in, though I go with the additives that you sprinkle on to prevent lack of calcium blossom-end-rot.

Looks like blossom end rot. Add 1 Tablespoon powdered milk to 1 gallon of water. It will provide them with calcium. Start watering with this after the flower forms.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMay 29, 2011
Stuffed Yellow Peppers
Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Storing Bell Peppers
🎄
🍂