Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

My tomatoes are beginning to get color but on the bottom of each tomato is a brown spot that grows as the tomato ripens. The inside of the tomato at the bottom is black. Any ideas?

Judy from Yelm, WA

Answers:

Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

Sounds like it could be a bad fungus infection. Is there any brown or rust color on the plant leaves? Check the underside especially as the brown/black seems to form only on the bottom of the fruit. If so, a mix of 1 tsp dish soap, 1 tsp baking soda in one quart of water sprayed on throughly and repeatedly should do the trick. No matter what; it's cheap and won't hurt the plants at all.

It would also be helpful if you could grow the plants in a drier, sunnier location if it's a mold. I just went through a rust problem on some lilies and this really worked well for me. (08/25/2008)

By NY_Gardener

Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

It is called "Blossom End Rot" and is caused by erratic watering schedules. The tomatoes are OK once you cut off the rot. (08/25/2008)

By Roz

Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

Also caused by lack of calcium in soil. I read that 2 to 3 months before planting tomatoes, mix some lime into soil. I myself am going to try this next year. Good luck. (08/28/2008)

By lamaromasa

Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎄