Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

My tomatoes are beginning to get color but on the bottom of each tomato is a brown spot that grows as the tomato ripens. The inside of the tomato at the bottom is black. Any ideas?

Judy from Yelm, WA

Answers:

Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

Sounds like it could be a bad fungus infection. Is there any brown or rust color on the plant leaves? Check the underside especially as the brown/black seems to form only on the bottom of the fruit. If so, a mix of 1 tsp dish soap, 1 tsp baking soda in one quart of water sprayed on throughly and repeatedly should do the trick. No matter what; it's cheap and won't hurt the plants at all.

It would also be helpful if you could grow the plants in a drier, sunnier location if it's a mold. I just went through a rust problem on some lilies and this really worked well for me. (08/25/2008)

By NY_Gardener

Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

It is called "Blossom End Rot" and is caused by erratic watering schedules. The tomatoes are OK once you cut off the rot. (08/25/2008)

By Roz

Brown Spots On Ripening Tomatoes

Also caused by lack of calcium in soil. I read that 2 to 3 months before planting tomatoes, mix some lime into soil. I myself am going to try this next year. Good luck. (08/28/2008)

By lamaromasa