Brown Sugar Substitute

Did you know that Brown Sugar is really only White Sugar with Molasses mixed in with it? I was so surprised when I found that out. I feel so clever when I mix my own batch of brown sugar for baking etc. It is so simple, saves storage space, and is much cheaper.

For 1 cup of brown sugar I add approximately 1 Tbsp of molasses. I add more or less molasses depending if I want the light brown sugar or the dark. No more worries now when I don't have enough brown sugar for that recipe. I never seem to run out of white sugar, but always of brown sugar.

Happy Baking!

By Sue from Calgary, Alberta

Answers:

Brown Sugar Substitute

Whoever gave you the tip is WRONG! Brown sugar is just less refined than white sugar! (03/21/2008)

By R. Smith

Brown Sugar Substitute

I've made my own brown sugar for years and don't bother buying it in the grocery store. I also make my own confectioners' sugar with a high speed blender and mix a small amount of cornstarch along with it. (03/21/2008)

By MCW

Brown Sugar Substitute

The brown sugar that R. Smith is speaking of is "sugar in the raw" and that IS less refined that white sugar. I too have been making my own brown sugar for years. (03/21/2008)

By tnrfitz

Brown Sugar Substitute

Thank you sue, I did not know that, Does anyone know if muscovado sugar is just white with something added?

Here is an article about Muscovado. It looks like it is a natural process.

(03/21/2008)

By Tracy from Coventry

Brown Sugar Substitute

White sugar is just brown sugar with the molasses removed from it at the refinery. (03/21/2008)

By sheilamay

Brown Sugar Substitute

How do you make the brown sugar? Do you heat up the molasses and stir it into the white sugar? It seems the molasses would be too thick to coat the white sugar properly. I appreciate any help to this question.

Donna from Victoria B.C. (03/24/2008)

By preppy56

Brown Sugar Substitute

Brown sugar is not as refined as white sugar, the molasses is debunked now! (04/26/2008)

By chiquan.

Brown Sugar Substitute

I don't know about the refining part as discussed in previous postings, but I do know this: white sugar with molasses added looks, cooks, and tastes like the common brown sugar sold in stores. Making it yourself is cheaper and yields the same results. (11/22/2008)

By Francene V.

Make Your Own Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
spoon with drizzling agave syrup
Using Agave Nectar
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄