Home RemediesHealth & Beauty

Brown Sugar as First Aid

Yes! Definitely so true! Brown sugar can actually cures wounds and bruises. If you have been lately in an accident, like falling from a bicycles or falling from trees, and you get bruises and wounds, you can immediately apply brown sugar.

Just a tap a small amount of water just to make sure the sugar stick into the skin where there is the wound or the bruises. In just 2 minutes, you can't feel the pain on the area where it is affected. The blood will stop pouring on the affected area and the bruise will be prevented. It's so safe!

That's an awful strong statement, Joan. Bruises are caused by cellular damage beneath the skin surface where topically applied sugar wont reach.

'Cure' is a word even doctors are reluctant to use. I don't think brown sugar can cure anything. An ulcer is a type of wound usually not caused by external factors. Sugar has been applied to ulcers for many years, not because it cures ulcers, but because it creates conditions under which the body can better do the actual healing.

The body cures itself, not what you put on it or in it. All any medications or home remedies can do is make conditions more favorable for the body to heal itself.

In your favor:

In one study, 1980, involving 120 patients, it was found that

: (1) treatment with sugar destroys bacteria nonspecifically, (2) sugar's action is controlled by water activity, (3) sugar treatment draws macrophages toward the wound, (4) the action of sugar treatment promotes cleansing of the wound, and (5) sugar acts as a remover of edema and a local reducer of inflammation in wounds.

For you to say that it's an awful statement for bruises, but it actually really is. But if you based it on medical reason it won't apply to it for you. It's a home remedy or a first aid to any family member that won't be suffering pain, first of all I share this tip to you guys to be aware on what to do if any thing happens to any person or loveones who's in pain. The main reason I want to share this tip about this brown sugar, that bruises aside from pain you feel, the discoloration on your skin can be wiped out from brown sugar. It's not awful, I was trying to help.

Joan,

I meant no offense. I used the word 'awful' in the same sense one would use the word 'very'. Perhaps I should have said, 'That is a very strong statement'.

Some of our best medicines started as home remedies. Salicylic acid from willow bark gave us aspirin and derivatives of the foxglove plant gave us digitalis.

I've nothing against home remedies, but for me, they need to be proven safe and effective in clinical trials; just as all our prescription medications do.

I have never heard of any "cures" or benefits derived from using brown sugar so I am glad to read all of the comments.

I certainly agree that cure is a strong word and agree that it should be used very sparingly about any remedy - even from a doctor.

I do not believe that likekinds said there could not be or were no benefits from using brown sugar (or even plain sugar).

This is definitely something I will research because sometimes we are in situations where medical supplies are limited and may need an alternative.

Thank you posting as many things may be of benefit to one person more than another.

Thanks to likekinds for reminding us that most of the time, research on any "healing claim" should be researched and final decision made by our own decision to try or not to try.