Bumps and Lumps on a Dog

It is disturbing, even frightening to discover a strange bump or lump on your dog while petting her. This is a guide about bumps and lumps on a dog.

An adult labrador dog.
Filter Sort

Question: Lumps on My Dog

By raemariah12 1

I have a 5 year old dog. He's a mutt and weighs about 50 pounds. He went to the vet yesterday for a bad ear infection that he's had awhile. When I picked him up I got papers telling me how he did also informing me of things that may need to be checked out, including his teeth and skin masses. The vet didn't say anything to me about his skin masses so I'm hoping that means they didn't find it threatening. I went ahead and made him another appointment to get the lumps on him checked out, but this waiting until I know is killing me. I want some information to maybe get an idea of what it might be until I get him in.

I checked his body and so far that I can tell I found 2 lumps. There is one very small lump on the back of his left ear and 1 a little bigger than the other underneath his left arm in the armpit area. Both are underneath the skin. There are no openings on the lumps and no discharge. I felt around both lumps and they don't seem to be causing him any pain. I have only had my dog for 7 months and I don't know if he had these lumps while I've had him or before I got him. I haven't see any change in him since I've had him. He's always acted the same. Is there anything anyone can tell me to help me know what to look forward to at the vet? Please and thank you.

Lumps on My Dog

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rosetta 1 1 Flag

Usually not cancerous. Once we had a dog with large lumps on his underside which we had removed for comfort. You are doing the right thing by visiting the vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: My Dog's Tumor

By Leslie 1

I have made a terrible error in judgment. About 1 year ago my female rottie was 8 years. old. She developed a lump about the size of a walnut on her side. My vet stated that; 1) her age is against her for being a good candidate for surgery, 2) if we do operate to remove the tumor,we may find cancer everywhere inside her, and 3) it felt like soft tissue to him but he did leave it up to my decision.

Well being selfish and fearful of losing her during surgery and her not showing discomfort, I had chosen not to operate to remove. My vet told me lots of dogs live fine with such a tumor and never have operation.

It is now approx. 1 year into this and the tumor has grown very slightly but I am thinking... so just what the heck are we supposed to do now, as the tumor has grown a bit. What are we supposed to just let it grow and grow?

I have very little money to pay for care for my best friend and I hate myself right now but I do think we (we is me and her) should try to do something for her before this thing grows who knows how big, even if it wasn't life threatening.
    Any suggestions?

Chicka510 from Hayward, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Oh I can only say thanks to all whom responded to my post. After reading everyones input I feel so much more at ease, probably because my girl has shown no signs of suffering and I probably really do tend to be a worry wart with her. While reading everyones responses I realized that part of my fear was the feeling of being alone, all of the responses just made me feel so much like I do not have to be alone with this. There are plenty of caring people in this world, I just tend to shut out people and rely a lot on the companionship of my dog.

THANK YOU ALL for the responses, each and everyone is invaluable to me.

Respectfully, Chicka510

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Strange Bump On Dachshund's Belly

By Lori 1

I have a 4 year old dachshund. For about 2 weeks (or more) she has had this funny looking bump/growth on her belly above her navel. Do you know what it could be and if there is anything I can do for it? It is not draining and is not sore. It started out as a red rashy kind of skin, like she had scratched there. She had a herniated navel at birth just below the bump. Please help!

Lori from Spring Hope, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The bump on my Dachsund went away & has never returned nor has anymore popped up. THANK YOU very much for ALL the information & advice. God Bless, Lori & Bailey (Dachsund)

From Spring Hope, NC

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Red Lump on Puppy

red lump on puppyIt started 3 wks ago and it was the size of a nickel and white, but solid, and now its the size of a quarter and very red. At first my 7 1/2 month old puppy didn't show any signs of discomfort and it was assumed and suggested that it was a bug bite and would go away within a week.
    I'm extremely worried now because it has not and he is always whining and licking at it. A friend suggest that it may just be a cyst and to keep warm compress on it, but as soon as I run warm water for a bath on the spot he starts crying. I feel horrible and don't have a lot of money and can't really afford a couple hundred spent on vet visit and testing for it to be something that needs to pass on its own. I'm looking for suggestions on what it may be.

By MaRita A

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

There is no way for most of us who post here to know what your puppies lump is. But in not finding out you put his life at risk. Assuming the correctness of the opinion of someone who really is just guessing is putting his life at risk. If you really dont have the money for a trip to the Vet, ask your local Vets if they have a fund for animals of folks who cant pay. Most all of them do. Or perhaps you could take a second look at you budget and make some changes. Many Vets allow time payments. You need to make a decision. It is not OK to just hope something turns out OK, when you need to be doing a lot more to make it turn out OK.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Puppy Has Fast Growing Lump

By janet 1

I bought a puppy from a reputable breeder three weeks ago. Over the Christmas holiday, she started scratching just where her ribs are. This turned into a lump that has grown and grown. I took her to the vet and she said that it was attached to the muscle. She took a sample of cells, and said it might be necessary to do a biopsy.

I'm worried as my insurance won't cover the cost because although she is insured, the small print mentions pre-existing conditions. It seems very young for a dog to have a tumor. I read all the other posts, but the dogs seem older. The vet doesn't reopen till Tuesday and I can't stop thinking about costs and worse case scenario, the puppy can't be saved. Any ideas please?

By Janet from Essex

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By doshe 2 42 Flag

Don't assume the worse. My puppy had quite a few growing lumps as a pup and they all turned out to be just fatty tumors. More of an aggravation than something threatening. Just wait it out and don't worry too much, take her to the vet when it opens.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lumps on Dog's Side

By armani 1

My dog has 2 strange lumps on his side. They cause him no discomfort or anything. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and a light pink color. He has a smaller one lower on his side, the same color and shape, just smaller. There are also these really weird patches on his torso everywhere and they are like dry skin patches. I think the patches turn into the bumps, but I am not sure. It is really scary not knowing what they are or how to get rid of them.

light pink bump

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

As some dogs age they can develop skin tags, fatty tumors, warts, and lipomas. It is best to notice any changes in color and growth and after doing online research as much as possible about each of these mentioned and you feel uncomfortable still, then take your dog to the vet and have it checked out. I do not believe the other problem your dog has is related to any of the above lump issues and for this reason, I'd take the dog to the vet promptly and have both looked at while there.

Cocker Spaniels which we own get fatty tumors and warts when they are six years and above. They've all been benign. When you see tiny clusters or pinkish color warts forming in one area around legs and leg pits, that's when I'd take great concern as one of my dog's had cancer and it was removed only to reappear w/i a year and we had to have the dog put down as he was experiencing pain and a second surgery was out of the question as cancer had advanced internally.

I believe it's always better to be safe than sorry and get a professional's diagnosis more than an opinion in regards to a pet's skin changes and you get peace of mind to a degree.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bump on Dog's Eyelid

I have a small black hunting dog. I've noticed a bump on her eye that pink. It's like a bubble on her eyelid, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her. What should I do?

By Rena

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Susie21 17 Flag

See your Vet. It may be easy to cure with an antibiotic ointment or drops. As the "bump" grows, it becomes painful as it presses on the eyeball.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Small Black Lumps on Dog's Belly

I have a female English Bull Terrier/Staffi, which is 3 years old. I noticed while stroking her belly, she has multiple weird black/dark lumps, around the size of a small bead. These are located around her belly and her sides. We go for a walk around once a fortnight as I'm quite ill at the moment, but we try give her as much exercise as possible, our walks consist of walking along the beach onto a field where she gets let off the leash so she can run freely. The spots have been there for maybe around 3 weeks.

As I'm quite low on money because of Christmas, I would be deeply upset if something was seriously wrong, the spots are making me very concerned about my pet as she's been a part of my family since she was a pup.

By Jodi H.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

Call your local Humane society for low cost Vet care. Most offer it, or know where you can find it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Small Lump on Dog

Lump on dog.I have a 3 year old Chihuahua and I discovered that he has a small lump on his side. I took him to the vet already and they prescribed medication saying that it might be an allergic reaction to something such as a bug bite. They did no blood tests or anything so they can't be sure. After giving my dog the medication as they prescribed it for 10 days, I have now noticed had the bump is still there, but now there seems to be a scab and some hairless around the area. What do you think this could be? Should I take him back to the vet or could this be a sign of healing?

By Mercedes from Chicago

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

With no disrespect to your current Veterinarian get a second opinion and insist on a blood test. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Puppy Has Red Bumps on Skin

By Kaylee Brown 3

My Lilly girl is about 3 1/2 months old. The past few days I noticed some bumps on her skin. Some are worse than others. They look almost like blisters, but others are just red bumps. What could this be? Should I take her to the vet?

bumps on tummyPuppy Has Red Bumps on SkinPuppy Has Red Bumps on Skin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

These are not flea bites. They could be a skin infection. They can be dangerous. Yes to the Vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Puppy Has a Scab and Lump on Belly

By Megan O 2

My puppy is a 9 week old female Boxer. She has this strange yellowish scab by her belly and her vagina and when I put my hand to see what it was there was a lump at the side of it. I'm so worried I don't know what it could be! She's not yet had her second needle so you can see why I'm so worried.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Could be an abscess. This is when the puppy gets a small puncture wound that gets infected. The infection grows under the skin and creates that lump. So if that's what it is the whole thing is infected and she needs to see the vet before her next shot is due.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bump on my Dog

I noticed today on my dane/lab dog there is a big red bump on his shoulder/chest area. He is constantly licking it but it doesn't seem to hurt him. What will happen to it? Will it harm him in any way?

By Jessica T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By joan 7 141 Flag

Feel is the bump seems to be contained under the skin or attached to the muscle underneath. No harm done if you apply quite warm hot saline compresses for about 5 min two or three times daily. If it is an abscess it will help draw it to a head. When a head forms a pin will open in to allow it to drain. Work it out with the saline cloths until some blood comes. If there isn't a little bleeding it may seal up and come back.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Belly Bumps on Dachshund

My Dachshund is 8 years old. He has had these bumps under his belly for the longest time. They don't bother him, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what they are?

By M from WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Chances are these are benign fatty nodules some dogs get. They can look scary but aren't harmful. If they start to turn red, itch or get bigger consult your vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Has a Bump at the Base of Tail

bump at base of dog's tailOur Redbone Hound has a bump at the base of his tail. It's hard, like a callous. We took him to a vet and $90 later the vet said, it could get bigger, could get smaller, keep an eye on it. We had to encourage him to do a test on it. He said it's a solid bump of cells, an abnormal something. Anyone else have a dog with a similar bump?

By George

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jean L. 21 Flag

My Shih Tzu has one on her chest, and our vet's advice was the same. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets bigger or seems to bother the dog then have it removed. After 3 years, it has grown a little, but doesn't bother her, so it is still there. I believe it is called a fatty lipoma.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dachshund Has a Non-painful Bump at the Base of His Tail

By Betty 104 753

My 4 year old Dachshund has a bump on the top of his tail right up where it connects to his body. I'm talking about the tail that wags; not the butt. That's the only way I know how to explain it. I've taken him to two different vets. They can't tell me anything without surgery and a biopsy.

A technician working for one of the vets said she sees these all the time on dogs and they are, I think she called them cysts. She said sometimes they come back after having them removed. I know she's not a vet, but she sees a lot of dogs.

Neither vet would give their opinion as to what they think it may be. Both vets said I could have it removed or I could just watch it to see if it gets any bigger. The funny thing is, one day it's barely noticeable and like a dry spot, then a day or so later it's much bigger again. It worries me, but he doesn't act like it bothering him in any way and I haven't noticed him biting or licking it. I'm asking my Thrifty Funpals if their dog has had these and if it could possibly be coming from his diet.

By Betty

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

You need to change Veterinarian's ! You need a solid opinion on what's wrong. They can certainly do a biopsy and fine out which type of growth she has. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mini Dachshund Has Bumps on Head

By LoveSerenity17 1

I have a beautiful 14 week old female mini Dachshund. She is a total lover, but every night she gets these black bumps on her head. They look like hives, but she doesn't even notice they are there. I took her to a vet and he said they would just go away. The problem is the bumps are getting bigger and I'm getting worried. She is my whole world. Should I be worried? Does anyone know what I need to do? Please help my baby.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By BettyG 7 56 Flag

My dachshund gets these frequently. My vet seems to think it's an allergy. They go away for awhile and then after awhile he's get more. Sometimes he looses a bit of hair on those spots. Right now he has a couple larger bumps on his tail that wags. He had surgery to remove a large on on the same spot. It's back but smaller. He was in my lap in the car once which irritated it and it bled. At some point I may have to have the removed again. They don't seem to bother him.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 3, 2013
            ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
            bag of sugar
            Getting Rid of Lumps in Sugar
            Fixing Lumpy Paint
            Fixing Lumpy Paint
            Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
            Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
            Itchy Puppy
            Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 6:04:12 PM on 10.0.0.218 in 786 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
            NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
            Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
            BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
            CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings