Bumps and Lumps on a Dog

Category Health
It is disturbing, even frightening to discover a strange bump or lump on your dog while petting her. This is a guide about bumps and lumps on a dog.

My dog has 2 strange lumps on his side. They cause him no discomfort or anything. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and a light pink color. He has a smaller one lower on his side, the same color and shape, just smaller. There are also these really weird patches on his torso everywhere and they are like dry skin patches. I think the patches turn into the bumps, but I am not sure. It is really scary not knowing what they are or how to get rid of them.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

As some dogs age they can develop skin tags, fatty tumors, warts, and lipomas. It is best to notice any changes in color and growth and after doing online research as much as possible about each of these mentioned and you feel uncomfortable still, then take your dog to the vet and have it checked out. I do not believe the other problem your dog has is related to any of the above lump issues and for this reason, I'd take the dog to the vet promptly and have both looked at while there.

Cocker Spaniels which we own get fatty tumors and warts when they are six years and above. They've all been benign. When you see tiny clusters or pinkish color warts forming in one area around legs and leg pits, that's when I'd take great concern as one of my dog's had cancer and it was removed only to reappear w/i a year and we had to have the dog put down as he was experiencing pain and a second surgery was out of the question as cancer had advanced internally.

I believe it's always better to be safe than sorry and get a professional's diagnosis more than an opinion in regards to a pet's skin changes and you get peace of mind to a degree.

My dog is 10 and I just smoothed his tail and all down it are bumps and I'm so worried. He is a cross Staffy who is my world. He sleeps with me and eats with me. The only thing he doesn't do is wee with me.

He's another son, as I've got two sons. He's our baby of the family and he's so loving and gentle it's just unbelievable, but that's his nature.

We got him at 5 weeks old and his mum was a full black Staffy. We had a cat, all black, and Shankley my dog followed him around for weeks trying to suckle of him and my cat Marley was so cool about it. I thought it was so cute as my cat was kissing and cleaning him. They grew older together. My cat sadly passed a few months ago and Shanks has been missing him really badly. We have a grave and we go there, down at the bottom of the garden and I'm just so upset to think my boy will go too.

How people are nasty to animals it beats me, as my dog Shankley is my son and I will love him with all my heart for the rest of his life, but it will hurt me for mine.

Sorry for being so, um, what's the word morbid I think, but my son/dog Shanks is my baby. Thanks for letting me speak my thoughts.

Is he scratching the area at all? It could be very temporary but if it lasts long, you'll want to take him to a vet for antibiotic therapy or a ph balanced animal shampoo.

My fur baby has a lump down there ever since she gave birth a couple years ago. I noticed it since, but didn't think nothing of it cause it didn't seem to bother her. But then she recently felt distressed and when I examined her, I felt it tighten and it was making her cry. It lasted for a few minutes cause I started to massage her softly to calm her right near the spot as if it could have been a pulled muscle or something. The tightness seemed to have gone away, but the lump is still there.

Any idea what this may be just from describing the issue? Thank you in advance. I will be taking her to the vet for tests, but in the mean time, I just wanted some info of possibilities. Other than that, she is eating good, loves to play, and is full of energy. My little Pepper.

I would think it is probably a hernia, but if she is having noticeable pain, her intestines could be pinched or trapped cutting off blood supply, and she would need emergency surgery to keep her bowel from dying. Hope she is ok!

My little puppy is 7 months old and about 40 pounds. This morning we noticed she had this large under the skin bubble, we can squish it and push on it and it does not bother her. It almost covers her entire head, right above her eyes. She eats and plays like normal and it doesn't hurt to touch the bubble. But do I need to be worried about something serious? I do not have the money to take her to the vet as we just got her back from them; she had an ear infection and kennel cough. What is wrong with my little fur baby?

Anonymous

I had a cat who got these fluid-filled bumps on her head. The first one was on her eyelid, so I got the vet to remove it. (He'd drained it once, and it filled back up.)

The next one was right on top of her head. I drained it, using a syringe several times, but it always came back. Finally, after draining it, I tied a thread around it. That choked it off and after a few weeks, it fell off and never came back.

It started 3 wks ago and it was the size of a nickel and white, but solid, and now its the size of a quarter and very red. At first my 7 1/2 month old puppy didn't show any signs of discomfort and it was assumed and suggested that it was a bug bite and would go away within a week.
I'm extremely worried now because it has not and he is always whining and licking at it. A friend suggest that it may just be a cyst and to keep warm compress on it, but as soon as I run warm water for a bath on the spot he starts crying. I feel horrible and don't have a lot of money and can't really afford a couple hundred spent on vet visit and testing for it to be something that needs to pass on its own. I'm looking for suggestions on what it may be.

By MaRita A

Answer Was this helpful? 1

There is no way for most of us who post here to know what your puppies lump is. But in not finding out you put his life at risk. Assuming the correctness of the opinion of someone who really is just guessing is putting his life at risk. If you really dont have the money for a trip to the Vet, ask your local Vets if they have a fund for animals of folks who cant pay. Most all of them do. Or perhaps you could take a second look at you budget and make some changes. Many Vets allow time payments. You need to make a decision. It is not OK to just hope something turns out OK, when you need to be doing a lot more to make it turn out OK.

I have a female English Bull Terrier/Staffi, which is 3 years old. I noticed while stroking her belly, she has multiple weird black/dark lumps, around the size of a small bead. These are located around her belly and her sides. We go for a walk around once a fortnight as I'm quite ill at the moment, but we try give her as much exercise as possible, our walks consist of walking along the beach onto a field where she gets let off the leash so she can run freely. The spots have been there for maybe around 3 weeks.

As I'm quite low on money because of Christmas, I would be deeply upset if something was seriously wrong, the spots are making me very concerned about my pet as she's been a part of my family since she was a pup.

By Jodi H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Call your local Humane society for low cost Vet care. Most offer it, or know where you can find it.

I have a 4 year old dachshund. For about 2 weeks (or more) she has had this funny looking bump/growth on her belly above her navel. Do you know what it could be and if there is anything I can do for it? It is not draining and is not sore. It started out as a red rashy kind of skin, like she had scratched there. She had a herniated navel at birth just below the bump. Please help!

Lori from Spring Hope, NC

Answer Was this helpful? 2

The bump on my Dachsund went away & has never returned nor has anymore popped up. THANK YOU very much for ALL the information & advice. God Bless, Lori & Bailey (Dachsund)

From Spring Hope, NC

My Boston Terrier pup has a large red bump right at the end of his nose. It's gotten bigger it seems like every other day. It's not super hard or soft. It just looks like a really big zit. Any suggestions on what it is?

Did you find out what is is? My dog has he same thing.

I just noticed my female 7 yr old Pit Bull/Lab mix Has what looks like a blood clot tag on her chest right by her front leg. it doesn't seem to cause her and pain. I thought maybe I could just squeeze the blood clot out, but it isn't moving. It is very soft and flattens when you do squeeze it, but it goes right back to being full again after a few seconds. I am wondering if I should be worried about cancer or not?

Hi. Did you by chance get the results from your dogs labs? I have noticed my pit has one of these exactly how you described it on his stomach. I too have spent hours trying to find another online, and your response is the best I've found! I hope your pit is doing well from having it removed!!

Any advice would be appreciated. My Pit Bull/Mastiff pup had what looked like a couple of bumps on his leg and body. It's been a week now and the bumps on his legs have become hard and clustered. The hair is gone in this area. I am concerned because I am not sure if it is something I should be concerned with. Tank is my baby, and I don't want to risk taking any chances. I made him a vet appointment for tomorrow, but was wondering if I could get some insight from anyone who has experienced this before.

I'm glad youre' going to vet, bcause obviously it is best to get it checked out with the vet.

This looks like some sort of allergic reaction.

also here's a useful article: "Many dogs and cats have lumps and bumps, and not all of these masses are malignant (cancerous) tumors. In fact, most tumors are benign (not cancer). So if you find a lump while petting your dog, or your vet finds one during a physical exam, don't just monitor it."

http://www.dogc  -a-veterinarian/

My Pit Bull has a large red bump. I need to know what to do. Here's a picture. He won't stop licking it and it was bleeding for a couple days and draining blood and now it's dry but he won't stop licking it.

It appears to be a lick granuloma.

http://www.petm  tology_nightmare

I saw this thing on my dog and I can't decide if it's a mole or something more serious, does anyone have any insight?

Obviously it is best to get it checked out with the vet. It looks like it could be some sort of growth or a skin tag

here's a useful article: "Many dogs and cats have lumps and bumps, and not all of these masses are malignant (cancerous) tumors. In fact, most tumors are benign (not cancer). So if you find a lump while petting your dog, or your vet finds one during a physical exam, don't just monitor it."

http://www.dogc  -a-veterinarian/

My friend and I went to go see about a Craigslist ad for free puppies about a week ago. I had no intention of getting one; I just wanted to go along for the ride. However, upon my arrival, my eye was caught by this beautiful, lazy dark colored puppy sleeping under the front porch rocking chair of the ad placers' home.

I claim to dislike dogs, but my only legitimate reason is the licking and slobbering. I thought, a lazy dog won't lick and slobber! So I picked the puppy right up and immediately fell in love. See, he was the only dark one in the litter; the rest were white and yellow. The mom is a Great Pyrenees and the dad is a mystery. (Maybe German Shepherd, seeing as Maxx's coloring seems identical to GSD coloring.)

Anyway, we rode in the back seat for an hour back to my town, and I noticed a mat on his leg. When we reached my best friend's house, she and I bathed our puppies and dried them off, giving them each their own bowl of puppy food. We had gone to Walmart and gotten collars and some flea prevention stuff to put on the backs of their necks. I went home, and my mom also fell in love with Maxxavier. She took me to Petco to get all the basics. Later, we went to the vet because we figured with his big potbelly he must have had worms. Which he did. The vet gave him some shots and gave us a complimentary deworming kit, and the next day I could tell Maxx was feeling so much better.

He kept chewing at the mat on his leg, and I figured he was just grooming himself. He eventually chewed all the hair right off, revealing a scab and a little bump under his skin. He won't let me touch it for very long. (By the way, he is 10 weeks old.) Over a few days the bump has grown a little bigger, and he keeps licking at it. My mom said we will take him to the vet when she gets the money for it, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure it out. Like I said, there is a scab, so I'm thinking it might just be an infection? It's not a very hard bump, but it moves around under the skin instead of just squishing down when I poke it. Should I try to drain it? Should I call my vet and ask about payment methods? I don't want to let money be the only thing keeping my baby from being comfortable and healthy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vet bills are part of owning a dog. Start a fund and keep it up until you have a reasonable amount. For this trip borrow from somebody. Your puppy can't wait.

On a trip to a field I noticed a crusty red bump on the outside of my dog's ears. I have been with him all day prior to the spotting and I never saw a thing. He is only 2 years old and it a Jack Russell cross Bishop. Can someone help? I don't know what to do.

A vet visit would probably be a good idea. However, this site provides insights as to what to expect from such conditions:

"Many dogs and cats have lumps and bumps, and not all of these masses are malignant (cancerous) tumors. In fact, most tumors are benign (not cancer). So if you find a lump while petting your dog, or your vet finds one during a physical exam, don't just monitor it."

http://www.dogc  -a-veterinarian/

My dog has a lump right next to her front right leg. I don't know what it is and I've looked everywhere and I haven't found a clear answer. Should I take her to the vet?

I believe that any time you see anything worrisome on your dog, especially if it doesn't clear up in a week, you should take her to the vet. This could be an insect bite or some sort of tumor.

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua and I discovered that he has a small lump on his side. I took him to the vet already and they prescribed medication saying that it might be an allergic reaction to something such as a bug bite. They did no blood tests or anything so they can't be sure. After giving my dog the medication as they prescribed it for 10 days, I have now noticed had the bump is still there, but now there seems to be a scab and some hairless around the area. What do you think this could be? Should I take him back to the vet or could this be a sign of healing?

By Mercedes from Chicago

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would get a second opinion from another vet.

Load More