Bumps and Lumps on a Dog

It is disturbing, even frightening to discover a strange bump or lump on your dog while petting her. This is a guide about bumps and lumps on a dog.

August 12, 2015 Flag

My dog has 2 strange lumps on his side. They cause him no discomfort or anything. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and a light pink color. He has a smaller one lower on his side, the same color and shape, just smaller. There are also these really weird patches on his torso everywhere and they are like dry skin patches. I think the patches turn into the bumps, but I am not sure. It is really scary not knowing what they are or how to get rid of them.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

As some dogs age they can develop skin tags, fatty tumors, warts, and lipomas. It is best to notice any changes in color and growth and after doing online research as much as possible about each of these mentioned and you feel uncomfortable still, then take your dog to the vet and have it checked out. I do not believe the other problem your dog has is related to any of the above lump issues and for this reason, I'd take the dog to the vet promptly and have both looked at while there.

Cocker Spaniels which we own get fatty tumors and warts when they are six years and above. They've all been benign. When you see tiny clusters or pinkish color warts forming in one area around legs and leg pits, that's when I'd take great concern as one of my dog's had cancer and it was removed only to reappear w/i a year and we had to have the dog put down as he was experiencing pain and a second surgery was out of the question as cancer had advanced internally.

I believe it's always better to be safe than sorry and get a professional's diagnosis more than an opinion in regards to a pet's skin changes and you get peace of mind to a degree.

December 19, 2016 Flag

My little puppy is 7 months old and about 40 pounds. This morning we noticed she had this large under the skin bubble, we can squish it and push on it and it does not bother her. It almost covers her entire head, right above her eyes. She eats and plays like normal and it doesn't hurt to touch the bubble. But do I need to be worried about something serious? I do not have the money to take her to the vet as we just got her back from them; she had an ear infection and kennel cough. What is wrong with my little fur baby?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a cat who got these fluid-filled bumps on her head. The first one was on her eyelid, so I got the vet to remove it. (He'd drained it once, and it filled back up.)

The next one was right on top of her head. I drained it, using a syringe several times, but it always came back. Finally, after draining it, I tied a thread around it. That choked it off and after a few weeks, it fell off and never came back.

August 7, 2016 Flag

My Boston Terrier pup has a large red bump right at the end of his nose. It's gotten bigger it seems like every other day. It's not super hard or soft. It just looks like a really big zit. Any suggestions on what it is?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cute Boston Terrier.

I'm worried this might be skin cancer. Let a vet biopsy and diagnose this mass.

July 9, 2016 Flag

I just noticed my female 7 yr old Pit Bull/Lab mix Has what looks like a blood clot tag on her chest right by her front leg. it doesn't seem to cause her and pain. I thought maybe I could just squeeze the blood clot out, but it isn't moving. It is very soft and flattens when you do squeeze it, but it goes right back to being full again after a few seconds. I am wondering if I should be worried about cancer or not?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi. Did you by chance get the results from your dogs labs? I have noticed my pit has one of these exactly how you described it on his stomach. I too have spent hours trying to find another online, and your response is the best I've found! I hope your pit is doing well from having it removed!!

July 22, 2014 Flag

It started 3 wks ago and it was the size of a nickel and white, but solid, and now its the size of a quarter and very red. At first my 7 1/2 month old puppy didn't show any signs of discomfort and it was assumed and suggested that it was a bug bite and would go away within a week.

I'm extremely worried now because it has not and he is always whining and licking at it. A friend suggest that it may just be a cyst and to keep warm compress on it, but as soon as I run warm water for a bath on the spot he starts crying. I feel horrible and don't have a lot of money and can't really afford a couple hundred spent on vet visit and testing for it to be something that needs to pass on its own. I'm looking for suggestions on what it may be.

By MaRita A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is no way for most of us who post here to know what your puppies lump is. But in not finding out you put his life at risk. Assuming the correctness of the opinion of someone who really is just guessing is putting his life at risk. If you really dont have the money for a trip to the Vet, ask your local Vets if they have a fund for animals of folks who cant pay. Most all of them do. Or perhaps you could take a second look at you budget and make some changes. Many Vets allow time payments. You need to make a decision. It is not OK to just hope something turns out OK, when you need to be doing a lot more to make it turn out OK.

April 27, 2016 Flag

My friend and I went to go see about a Craigslist ad for free puppies about a week ago. I had no intention of getting one; I just wanted to go along for the ride. However, upon my arrival, my eye was caught by this beautiful, lazy dark colored puppy sleeping under the front porch rocking chair of the ad placers' home.

I claim to dislike dogs, but my only legitimate reason is the licking and slobbering. I thought, a lazy dog won't lick and slobber! So I picked the puppy right up and immediately fell in love. See, he was the only dark one in the litter; the rest were white and yellow. The mom is a Great Pyrenees and the dad is a mystery. (Maybe German Shepherd, seeing as Maxx's coloring seems identical to GSD coloring.)

Anyway, we rode in the back seat for an hour back to my town, and I noticed a mat on his leg. When we reached my best friend's house, she and I bathed our puppies and dried them off, giving them each their own bowl of puppy food. We had gone to Walmart and gotten collars and some flea prevention stuff to put on the backs of their necks. I went home, and my mom also fell in love with Maxxavier. She took me to Petco to get all the basics. Later, we went to the vet because we figured with his big potbelly he must have had worms. Which he did. The vet gave him some shots and gave us a complimentary deworming kit, and the next day I could tell Maxx was feeling so much better.

He kept chewing at the mat on his leg, and I figured he was just grooming himself. He eventually chewed all the hair right off, revealing a scab and a little bump under his skin. He won't let me touch it for very long. (By the way, he is 10 weeks old.) Over a few days the bump has grown a little bigger, and he keeps licking at it. My mom said we will take him to the vet when she gets the money for it, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure it out. Like I said, there is a scab, so I'm thinking it might just be an infection? It's not a very hard bump, but it moves around under the skin instead of just squishing down when I poke it. Should I try to drain it? Should I call my vet and ask about payment methods? I don't want to let money be the only thing keeping my baby from being comfortable and healthy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vet bills are part of owning a dog. Start a fund and keep it up until you have a reasonable amount. For this trip borrow from somebody. Your puppy can't wait.

February 23, 2014 Flag

I have a female English Bull Terrier/Staffi, which is 3 years old. I noticed while stroking her belly, she has multiple weird black/dark lumps, around the size of a small bead. These are located around her belly and her sides. We go for a walk around once a fortnight as I'm quite ill at the moment, but we try give her as much exercise as possible, our walks consist of walking along the beach onto a field where she gets let off the leash so she can run freely. The spots have been there for maybe around 3 weeks.

As I'm quite low on money because of Christmas, I would be deeply upset if something was seriously wrong, the spots are making me very concerned about my pet as she's been a part of my family since she was a pup.

By Jodi H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Call your local Humane society for low cost Vet care. Most offer it, or know where you can find it.

May 27, 2008 Flag

I have a 4 year old dachshund. For about 2 weeks (or more) she has had this funny looking bump/growth on her belly above her navel. Do you know what it could be and if there is anything I can do for it? It is not draining and is not sore. It started out as a red rashy kind of skin, like she had scratched there. She had a herniated navel at birth just below the bump. Please help!

Lori from Spring Hope, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The bump on my Dachsund went away & has never returned nor has anymore popped up. THANK YOU very much for ALL the information & advice. God Bless, Lori & Bailey (Dachsund)

From Spring Hope, NC

May 23, 2016 Flag

My Pit Bull has a large red bump. I need to know what to do. Here's a picture. He won't stop licking it and it was bleeding for a couple days and draining blood and now it's dry but he won't stop licking it.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What to do? You must take him to your vet immediately as there is obviously something very wrong!!! Appears infected and probably needs antibiotics. Further delay will only make it worse and more expensive!

July 9, 2016 Flag

I have noticed a lump on the back of my dog's leg above the paw. The lump is on both legs, but I never noticed it before.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is just part of his paw. Totally normal.

February 15, 2016 Flag

I have a 12 wk. old Lab pup. I just noticed a grape size lump on his spine. It does not move. It seems like it popped up suddenly, because I have scratched and petted him on his back and never noticed it. Any ideas? I am really concerned. I will probably take him to the vet, but short on funds

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take him to your vet ASAP as the lump could be cancerous and any delay could mean more expensive treatment and possibly early death. On the other hand, the lump could be noncancerous but you will not know until your vet can evaluate your pup.

February 4, 2016 Flag

I have a 5 year old dog. He's a mutt and weighs about 50 pounds. He went to the vet yesterday for a bad ear infection that he's had awhile. When I picked him up I got papers telling me how he did also informing me of things that may need to be checked out, including his teeth and skin masses. The vet didn't say anything to me about his skin masses so I'm hoping that means they didn't find it threatening. I went ahead and made him another appointment to get the lumps on him checked out, but this waiting until I know is killing me. I want some information to maybe get an idea of what it might be until I get him in.

I checked his body and so far that I can tell I found 2 lumps. There is one very small lump on the back of his left ear and 1 a little bigger than the other underneath his left arm in the armpit area. Both are underneath the skin. There are no openings on the lumps and no discharge. I felt around both lumps and they don't seem to be causing him any pain. I have only had my dog for 7 months and I don't know if he had these lumps while I've had him or before I got him. I haven't see any change in him since I've had him. He's always acted the same. Is there anything anyone can tell me to help me know what to look forward to at the vet? Please and thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog had them and they might be sebaceous cysts. http://dictiona … browse/sebaceous cysts.

They are fatty tissues under the skin. Most are not harmful. Here is a link found on google through webmd...

http://www.webm … ebaceous%20cysts

There are lots of sites you can visit to be well informed. I hope your little guy keeps giving you tons of love for years to come. PBP

May 30, 2016 Flag

I noticed this bump 5 days ago. My dog doesn't seem to notice it or be bothered by it, only when I try to clean it. I have no idea what this could be?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog is obviously bothered when you touch the bump so something is wrong. Please take your dog to your vet to check for the possibility of infection, cancer, etc. The sooner the better as some problems can become worse and cost far more in vet costs later on.

May 26, 2016 Flag

My dog, Nevaeh, is a blue nose Pit mix. She's 1 and a half years old. She has had a strange bump appear on the right side of her upper chest. It is now a month later and it is still there. It is now the size of a nickel and red with a black scab. It seems painless and has not grown since it reached the size it currently is. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your dog to your vet immediately as the bump may be cancerous. The sooner the vet can check the bump and provide treatment, the better! Further delay in treatment can be more expensive and dangerous to your dog.

April 28, 2016 Flag

My Doberman is recovering after MMP-TTA knee surgery. It was 4 months ago without any complications other than his wound took a little longer to heal. Yesterday I noticed a small hard lump on the spot where his wound was. It doesn't seem to hurt him or cause any discomfort. Does anyone have an idea what it could be and if it is serious?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should ask your vet about the bump. Very difficult to know what it could be from your description and picture.

October 16, 2015 Flag

I have a beautiful 14 week old female mini Dachshund. She is a total lover, but every night she gets these black bumps on her head. They look like hives, but she doesn't even notice they are there. I took her to a vet and he said they would just go away. The problem is the bumps are getting bigger and I'm getting worried. She is my whole world. Should I be worried? Does anyone know what I need to do? Please help my baby.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dachshund gets these frequently. My vet seems to think it's an allergy. They go away for awhile and then after awhile he's get more. Sometimes he looses a bit of hair on those spots. Right now he has a couple larger bumps on his tail that wags. He had surgery to remove a large on on the same spot. It's back but smaller. He was in my lap in the car once which irritated it and it bled. At some point I may have to have the removed again. They don't seem to bother him.

April 1, 2016 Flag

I have a Pit/Lab mix. I got him last May and we love him completely. A few months ago he got a mole on his back leg, and over time, it's gotten bigger, being the size of a dime now. It is completely round and raised above the skin. It started out a reddish color and felt almost like a ball of cartilage or something. When you move it, the whole thing moves. He's started licking it a lot, and now it's blotchy and white and pink. I think he started licking it because it had a crusty top. I scratched it a little, and brought it to his attention. I don't think he noticed it before. Now I think he has licked the skin clean off of it. Thank you all.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take him to your vet NOW as this may be a cancerous growth that needs to be removed. It is possible, if it is cancer, that the cancer has spread beyond the bump considering the length of time since you noticed it.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 3, 2013
bag of sugar
Getting Rid of Lumps in Sugar
Fixing Lumpy Paint
Fixing Lumpy Paint
Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:48:20 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.