Bumps and Lumps on a Dog

Category Health
An adult labrador dog.
It is disturbing, even frightening to discover a strange bump or lump on your dog while petting her. This is a guide about bumps and lumps on a dog.

My dog has 2 strange lumps on his side. They cause him no discomfort or anything. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and a light pink color. He has a smaller one lower on his side, the same color and shape, just smaller. There are also these really weird patches on his torso everywhere and they are like dry skin patches. I think the patches turn into the bumps, but I am not sure. It is really scary not knowing what they are or how to get rid of them.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

As some dogs age they can develop skin tags, fatty tumors, warts, and lipomas. It is best to notice any changes in color and growth and after doing online research as much as possible about each of these mentioned and you feel uncomfortable still, then take your dog to the vet and have it checked out. I do not believe the other problem your dog has is related to any of the above lump issues and for this reason, I'd take the dog to the vet promptly and have both looked at while there.

Cocker Spaniels which we own get fatty tumors and warts when they are six years and above. They've all been benign. When you see tiny clusters or pinkish color warts forming in one area around legs and leg pits, that's when I'd take great concern as one of my dog's had cancer and it was removed only to reappear w/i a year and we had to have the dog put down as he was experiencing pain and a second surgery was out of the question as cancer had advanced internally.

I believe it's always better to be safe than sorry and get a professional's diagnosis more than an opinion in regards to a pet's skin changes and you get peace of mind to a degree.

I have a 4 year old dachshund. For about 2 weeks (or more) she has had this funny looking bump/growth on her belly above her navel. Do you know what it could be and if there is anything I can do for it? It is not draining and is not sore. It started out as a red rashy kind of skin, like she had scratched there. She had a herniated navel at birth just below the bump. Please help!

Lori from Spring Hope, NC

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Hi, I have a pit bull with the same trouble. Here is what the vet said to me. First put some benadryl cream on the spot and see if it heals. (it could be an allergy spot) The other thing she told me was to put Preparation H cream on it. That will shrink it and get rid of it. I hope that helps

Lisa

bambi69147 AT hotmail.com

Could be just a benign mass. Get your vet to aspirate the mass and look at it under the microscope. It might just be a histiocytoma or a mole-like growth. But noone can tell by looking at a picture. Get her examined.

We had a beautiful black cocker spaniel, as she got older the vet advised us to surgically repmove her tumors like growth as the one in your picture. They never stop growing. After several very expensive treatments she was diagnosed with skin cancer. It broke our hearts but we had to let her go. If the vets would have examined those tumors a little bit closer "Fuzzy" would still be with us today. Make sure your vet treat this as it was the worse condition. You may be able to help your best friend live longer. I ounf theis web page that may have good iformation in the subject: (http://www.thep  m/exa/lumps.html) Good Luck!

My little fat beagle has something that looks just like this. It did not get any larger. They told us it was just a fatty tumor. They had tested it to see what was inside of it. They said as she gets older she may get more, but they are harmless.

Please take your pet to the vet and find out what you are dealing with instead of wasting what might be precious time trying home remedies.

My dog a little Chihuahua had a place on her back leg look like that looks,took her to Va Tech Vet School and it was CANCER HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE please take your dog to a good Vet. We had Daisy's removed been about a year and as of yet nothing has returned but if I had waited it would have spread fast. Only the VET can test it and know for sure what it is.

Lois

Don't mess around. Take the dog to a vet and get it checked out. It looks similar to a skin tumor that my daughter's pit bull had removed a few months ago. The tumor was benign, but it would not have gotten better and gone away on it's own. It had to be removed.

One of our dogs had a similar spot. It burst. There was puss inside. After it burst, we cleaned it and let it drain and put an antiseptic the vet had given us for another treatment and it cleared up. I would advise you to take your dog to the vet. This could be caused from a cat bite known as cat scratch fever and can be fatal if untreated. Maybe an insect bit your dog and it is infected. Either way, the vet is your best and safest if you really care about your pet. Your dog could have a fever which is another indication of an infection. It is red which leads me to believe it is "active" and not a dead growth.

I have a female English Bull Terrier/Staffi, which is 3 years old. I noticed while stroking her belly, she has multiple weird black/dark lumps, around the size of a small bead. These are located around her belly and her sides. We go for a walk around once a fortnight as I'm quite ill at the moment, but we try give her as much exercise as possible, our walks consist of walking along the beach onto a field where she gets let off the leash so she can run freely. The spots have been there for maybe around 3 weeks.

As I'm quite low on money because of Christmas, I would be deeply upset if something was seriously wrong, the spots are making me very concerned about my pet as she's been a part of my family since she was a pup.

By Jodi H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Call your local Humane society for low cost Vet care. Most offer it, or know where you can find it.

It started 3 wks ago and it was the size of a nickel and white, but solid, and now its the size of a quarter and very red. At first my 7 1/2 month old puppy didn't show any signs of discomfort and it was assumed and suggested that it was a bug bite and would go away within a week.
I'm extremely worried now because it has not and he is always whining and licking at it. A friend suggest that it may just be a cyst and to keep warm compress on it, but as soon as I run warm water for a bath on the spot he starts crying. I feel horrible and don't have a lot of money and can't really afford a couple hundred spent on vet visit and testing for it to be something that needs to pass on its own. I'm looking for suggestions on what it may be.

By MaRita A

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have made a terrible error in judgment. About 1 year ago my female rottie was 8 years. old. She developed a lump about the size of a walnut on her side. My vet stated that; 1) her age is against her for being a good candidate for surgery, 2) if we do operate to remove the tumor,we may find cancer everywhere inside her, and 3) it felt like soft tissue to him but he did leave it up to my decision.

Well being selfish and fearful of losing her during surgery and her not showing discomfort, I had chosen not to operate to remove. My vet told me lots of dogs live fine with such a tumor and never have operation.

It is now approx. 1 year into this and the tumor has grown very slightly but I am thinking... so just what the heck are we supposed to do now, as the tumor has grown a bit. What are we supposed to just let it grow and grow?

I have very little money to pay for care for my best friend and I hate myself right now but I do think we (we is me and her) should try to do something for her before this thing grows who knows how big, even if it wasn't life threatening.
Any suggestions?

Chicka510 from Hayward, CA

Hi, I'm sorry to hear of your distress, I appreciate how worrying this can be. Within the last few weeks we found a lump to one side of our almost 8 yr old border collie/cattle dog's chest. We do have a friend who is a vet, not everyone is so lucky, and she came to our home and did a biopsy which she took away to test. It turned out to be benign, thankfully. She told us that older dogs are more prone to these lumps and while many are harmless, it's always a good idea to check. While this one resulted in good news, she advised us to keep an eye on him for any changes in size of the lump, etc.

She told us if they prove 'safe' it's best not to remove them by surgery. We fully trust her opinion.

If you could find out the cost of a biopsy and could afford that just to put your mind at rest, it might help.

I hope you can work something out, it's quite worrying to think of our best friend in pain or poor health.

You did what you thought was right at the time. My furbaby is 13yrs.and has medical issues. I to have limited funds. I saw this site awhile back and just remembered it from your post So I'm not sure how or if it works:carecredit.com also ask your vet for agencies that will help.

God Bless. Hope I helped. Let us know.

retraction...carecredit.com is the wrong info.I'll find the correct one.sorry..

My black labrador also developed a lump on her side but our vet told us not to worry about it and never gave us a diagnosis. That was 7 years ago...she is now 14 years old and whenever I walk her, other dog owners can't believe she is 14 years old. It has never held her back from having a full life. Your vet knows best...but what if it is the same situation? Don't do anything drastic like euthanizing your pet. As long as she is pain free, and she gets lots of love, she can live a long happy life. Good luck to you.

We had a golden who develop such a tumor. The vet aspirated the tumor and was able to put it under the microscope and he did find cancer. It was not very expensive to have the test done and then you would know either way. I know it will be a hard decision but always remember quality of life they can't make that decision and I know its a heart breaker but always remember quality of life when it comes to it. But on the bright side hopefully its a fatty tumor the docs should be able to tell.

My parents' rat terrier has several lumps that were basically fatty tumors. They are benign, and the vet said they would return if removed. I don't know if this is what you are describing, but it is something older dogs can develop. It comes down to how much you trust your vet, and if the dog is showing any signs of discomfort.

After having spent a lot of money on pets and their illnesses over the years, I know what you mean about the money side of things. I'm about to face a tough decision about my 18 year old toy poodle who has glaucoma in both eyes, because I know that she has lived a good life and that her age is going to play a big part in the decision (not to mention the $2500 price for surgery). Like someone suggested, maybe a biopsy, or a second opinion would make you feel better about a course of treatment. If you have a veterinary school in your area, you might check with them and see if they could do that for a reduced fee.

My dog had a large tumor on his side for many years. He was old and the vet. advised us to leave it be as it caused him no pain. He lived a long wonderful life. I'm grateful we did not put him through surgery. Please don't torture yourself with guilt. Peace, Sharon

My first cocker spaniel developed fatty tumors about eight years and he did well until a cancerous tumor appeared in a tiny cluster under the pit of his front leg and when it noticeably enlarged, I had it removed and it came back again. Less than one year later, I decided to put him to sleep at the point where he began to feel discomfort and spare him another surgery as the outcome wasn't going to be a cure and the cancer had begun to spread in other areas. My dog lived 11 years. He had a good life and I sure hated to make the decision to let go of him and it hurt at the time, but he wasn't going to get better.

Do not feel bad. My beloved Buddy (Irish Wolf Hound/Lab) had formed a tumor the size of a quarter. At that time I have just lost my dad to cancer. I decided after watching my father suffer with treatment and surgeries to let Buddy be and live his life. Sure the tumor grew but he lived 4 1/2 more good years. He was 125 pounds and we could not afford treatment for him and like I said about my father. We had to put Buddy down 3 years ago, he was 11. He was a great dog and I sure do miss him a lot. The tumor was quite large and I knew Buddy was uncomfortable so we put him down. I know in my heart I did the right thing for him. Sure we could have spent all the $$$ and done the surgerys and treatments but it might of prolonged his life maybe a year more and through the treatments he would have been miserable.

Hello -

You've had some good answers here ! I would agree with them. You love your dog, Rotties don't have the longest life anyway (no big dog does), if I were you I'd put up with the lump not looking too nice, but not causing your dog any problems. When they start getting opened up, there seems to be not much but trouble following. Just love your Woofer, and forget the lump. She's 9 now, you'll probably have her until she dies with no problems from it.

Enjoy your dog, and try not to worry about her.

All the best to both of you. Leah from Down Under

We recently noticed a lump on our 10-yr-old dog's side and took her to our vet. We were advised that it is a fatty tumor (lipoma) and doesn't need to be removed unless it gets a lot larger or starts bothering her. Our neighbor's dog has had a similar lump for a year or more and hasn't had it removed yet. If your vet didn't indicate what kind of tumor he thought it might be (I think they can tell by feeling it if it's a fatty tumor), I'd get another opinion.

It seems older dogs are prone to these things, and they are usually harmless.

I would ask the vet how much a biopsy would cost...if you can afford that, then you would know what you are dealing with and can go from there....explain to them that you don't have much money and ask if they know of any place you could get some help to pay for the treatment....if your dog needs surgery, you could go to your local newspaper and tell them you have a "human interest story"...tell them of your plight...I live in a fairly large city and the residents here are very generous in donating cash to those in need, if it tugs at the heart strings, and almost anyone would help a poor dog.....good luck and keep us informed...

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua and I discovered that he has a small lump on his side. I took him to the vet already and they prescribed medication saying that it might be an allergic reaction to something such as a bug bite. They did no blood tests or anything so they can't be sure. After giving my dog the medication as they prescribed it for 10 days, I have now noticed had the bump is still there, but now there seems to be a scab and some hairless around the area. What do you think this could be? Should I take him back to the vet or could this be a sign of healing?

By Mercedes from Chicago

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My fur baby has a lump down there ever since she gave birth a couple years ago. I noticed it since, but didn't think nothing of it cause it didn't seem to bother her. But then she recently felt distressed and when I examined her, I felt it tighten and it was making her cry. It lasted for a few minutes cause I started to massage her softly to calm her right near the spot as if it could have been a pulled muscle or something. The tightness seemed to have gone away, but the lump is still there.

Any idea what this may be just from describing the issue? Thank you in advance. I will be taking her to the vet for tests, but in the mean time, I just wanted some info of possibilities. Other than that, she is eating good, loves to play, and is full of energy. My little Pepper.

I bought a puppy from a reputable breeder three weeks ago. Over the Christmas holiday, she started scratching just where her ribs are. This turned into a lump that has grown and grown. I took her to the vet and she said that it was attached to the muscle. She took a sample of cells, and said it might be necessary to do a biopsy.

I'm worried as my insurance won't cover the cost because although she is insured, the small print mentions pre-existing conditions. It seems very young for a dog to have a tumor. I read all the other posts, but the dogs seem older. The vet doesn't reopen till Tuesday and I can't stop thinking about costs and worse case scenario, the puppy can't be saved. Any ideas please?

By Janet from Essex

Don't assume the worse. My puppy had quite a few growing lumps as a pup and they all turned out to be just fatty tumors. More of an aggravation than something threatening. Just wait it out and don't worry too much, take her to the vet when it opens.

My little puppy is 7 months old and about 40 pounds. This morning we noticed she had this large under the skin bubble, we can squish it and push on it and it does not bother her. It almost covers her entire head, right above her eyes. She eats and plays like normal and it doesn't hurt to touch the bubble. But do I need to be worried about something serious? I do not have the money to take her to the vet as we just got her back from them; she had an ear infection and kennel cough. What is wrong with my little fur baby?

My Boston Terrier pup has a large red bump right at the end of his nose. It's gotten bigger it seems like every other day. It's not super hard or soft. It just looks like a really big zit. Any suggestions on what it is?

My dog is 10 and I just smoothed his tail and all down it are bumps and I'm so worried. He is a cross Staffy who is my world. He sleeps with me and eats with me. The only thing he doesn't do is wee with me.

He's another son, as I've got two sons. He's our baby of the family and he's so loving and gentle it's just unbelievable, but that's his nature.

We got him at 5 weeks old and his mum was a full black Staffy. We had a cat, all black, and Shankley my dog followed him around for weeks trying to suckle of him and my cat Marley was so cool about it. I thought it was so cute as my cat was kissing and cleaning him. They grew older together. My cat sadly passed a few months ago and Shanks has been missing him really badly. We have a grave and we go there, down at the bottom of the garden and I'm just so upset to think my boy will go too.

How people are nasty to animals it beats me, as my dog Shankley is my son and I will love him with all my heart for the rest of his life, but it will hurt me for mine.

Sorry for being so, um, what's the word morbid I think, but my son/dog Shanks is my baby. Thanks for letting me speak my thoughts.

I just noticed my female 7 yr old Pit Bull/Lab mix Has what looks like a blood clot tag on her chest right by her front leg. it doesn't seem to cause her and pain. I thought maybe I could just squeeze the blood clot out, but it isn't moving. It is very soft and flattens when you do squeeze it, but it goes right back to being full again after a few seconds. I am wondering if I should be worried about cancer or not?

My Pit Bull has a large red bump. I need to know what to do. Here's a picture. He won't stop licking it and it was bleeding for a couple days and draining blood and now it's dry but he won't stop licking it.

My friend and I went to go see about a Craigslist ad for free puppies about a week ago. I had no intention of getting one; I just wanted to go along for the ride. However, upon my arrival, my eye was caught by this beautiful, lazy dark colored puppy sleeping under the front porch rocking chair of the ad placers' home.

I claim to dislike dogs, but my only legitimate reason is the licking and slobbering. I thought, a lazy dog won't lick and slobber! So I picked the puppy right up and immediately fell in love. See, he was the only dark one in the litter; the rest were white and yellow. The mom is a Great Pyrenees and the dad is a mystery. (Maybe German Shepherd, seeing as Maxx's coloring seems identical to GSD coloring.)

Anyway, we rode in the back seat for an hour back to my town, and I noticed a mat on his leg. When we reached my best friend's house, she and I bathed our puppies and dried them off, giving them each their own bowl of puppy food. We had gone to Walmart and gotten collars and some flea prevention stuff to put on the backs of their necks. I went home, and my mom also fell in love with Maxxavier. She took me to Petco to get all the basics. Later, we went to the vet because we figured with his big potbelly he must have had worms. Which he did. The vet gave him some shots and gave us a complimentary deworming kit, and the next day I could tell Maxx was feeling so much better.

He kept chewing at the mat on his leg, and I figured he was just grooming himself. He eventually chewed all the hair right off, revealing a scab and a little bump under his skin. He won't let me touch it for very long. (By the way, he is 10 weeks old.) Over a few days the bump has grown a little bigger, and he keeps licking at it. My mom said we will take him to the vet when she gets the money for it, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure it out. Like I said, there is a scab, so I'm thinking it might just be an infection? It's not a very hard bump, but it moves around under the skin instead of just squishing down when I poke it. Should I try to drain it? Should I call my vet and ask about payment methods? I don't want to let money be the only thing keeping my baby from being comfortable and healthy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a small black hunting dog. I've noticed a bump on her eye that pink. It's like a bubble on her eyelid, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her. What should I do?

By Rena

Any advice would be appreciated. My Pit Bull/Mastiff pup had what looked like a couple of bumps on his leg and body. It's been a week now and the bumps on his legs have become hard and clustered. The hair is gone in this area. I am concerned because I am not sure if it is something I should be concerned with. Tank is my baby, and I don't want to risk taking any chances. I made him a vet appointment for tomorrow, but was wondering if I could get some insight from anyone who has experienced this before.

I saw this thing on my dog and I can't decide if it's a mole or something more serious, does anyone have any insight?

On a trip to a field I noticed a crusty red bump on the outside of my dog's ears. I have been with him all day prior to the spotting and I never saw a thing. He is only 2 years old and it a Jack Russell cross Bishop. Can someone help? I don't know what to do.

My dog, Nevaeh, is a blue nose Pit mix. She's 1 and a half years old. She has had a strange bump appear on the right side of her upper chest. It is now a month later and it is still there. It is now the size of a nickel and red with a black scab. It seems painless and has not grown since it reached the size it currently is. What should I do?

I have a 12 wk. old Lab pup. I just noticed a grape size lump on his spine. It does not move. It seems like it popped up suddenly, because I have scratched and petted him on his back and never noticed it. Any ideas? I am really concerned. I will probably take him to the vet, but short on funds

I have a 5 year old dog. He's a mutt and weighs about 50 pounds. He went to the vet yesterday for a bad ear infection that he's had awhile. When I picked him up I got papers telling me how he did also informing me of things that may need to be checked out, including his teeth and skin masses. The vet didn't say anything to me about his skin masses so I'm hoping that means they didn't find it threatening. I went ahead and made him another appointment to get the lumps on him checked out, but this waiting until I know is killing me. I want some information to maybe get an idea of what it might be until I get him in.

I checked his body and so far that I can tell I found 2 lumps. There is one very small lump on the back of his left ear and 1 a little bigger than the other underneath his left arm in the armpit area. Both are underneath the skin. There are no openings on the lumps and no discharge. I felt around both lumps and they don't seem to be causing him any pain. I have only had my dog for 7 months and I don't know if he had these lumps while I've had him or before I got him. I haven't see any change in him since I've had him. He's always acted the same. Is there anything anyone can tell me to help me know what to look forward to at the vet? Please and thank you.

I have a beautiful 14 week old female mini Dachshund. She is a total lover, but every night she gets these black bumps on her head. They look like hives, but she doesn't even notice they are there. I took her to a vet and he said they would just go away. The problem is the bumps are getting bigger and I'm getting worried. She is my whole world. Should I be worried? Does anyone know what I need to do? Please help my baby.

Load More