Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Bumps and Lumps on a Dog

0 0EmailFollow
An adult labrador dog.

It is disturbing, even frightening to discover a strange bump or lump on your dog while petting her. This is a guide about bumps and lumps on a dog.

Here are questions related to Bumps and Lumps on a Dog.

Question: Small Lump on Dog

Lump on dog.I have a 3 year old Chihuahua and I discovered that he has a small lump on his side. I took him to the vet already and they prescribed medication saying that it might be an allergic reaction to something such as a bug bite. They did no blood tests or anything so they can't be sure. After giving my dog the medication as they prescribed it for 10 days, I have now noticed had the bump is still there, but now there seems to be a scab and some hairless around the area. What do you think this could be? Should I take him back to the vet or could this be a sign of healing?

By Mercedes from Chicago

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]12/31/2013

With no disrespect to your current Veterinarian get a second opinion and insist on a blood test. Good luck.

Question: Belly Bumps on Dachshund

My Dachshund is 8 years old. He has had these bumps under his belly for the longest time. They don't bother him, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what they are?

By M from WI

Most Recent Answer

By Timothy Alan11/13/2014

My wife and I had a Jack Russell mix. He had a bump. I believe its fatty tissue. If that is what it is, it's nothing to worry about.
Take care
Timalan

Question: Dog Has a Bump at the Base of Tail

bump at base of dog's tailOur Redbone Hound has a bump at the base of his tail. It's hard, like a callous. We took him to a vet and $90 later the vet said, it could get bigger, could get smaller, keep an eye on it. We had to encourage him to do a test on it. He said it's a solid bump of cells, an abnormal something. Anyone else have a dog with a similar bump?

By George

Most Recent Answer

By Jean L.09/02/2014

My Shih Tzu has one on her chest, and our vet's advice was the same. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets bigger or seems to bother the dog then have it removed. After 3 years, it has grown a little, but doesn't bother her, so it is still there. I believe it is called a fatty lipoma.

Question: Red Lump on Puppy

red lump on puppyIt started 3 wks ago and it was the size of a nickel and white, but solid, and now its the size of a quarter and very red. At first my 7 1/2 month old puppy didn't show any signs of discomfort and it was assumed and suggested that it was a bug bite and would go away within a week.
I'm extremely worried now because it has not and he is always whining and licking at it. A friend suggest that it may just be a cyst and to keep warm compress on it, but as soon as I run warm water for a bath on the spot he starts crying. I feel horrible and don't have a lot of money and can't really afford a couple hundred spent on vet visit and testing for it to be something that needs to pass on its own. I'm looking for suggestions on what it may be.

By MaRita A

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]07/25/2014

There is no way for most of us who post here to know what your puppies lump is. But in not finding out you put his life at risk. Assuming the correctness of the opinion of someone who really is just guessing is putting his life at risk. If you really dont have the money for a trip to the Vet, ask your local Vets if they have a fund for animals of folks who cant pay. Most all of them do. Or perhaps you could take a second look at you budget and make some changes. Many Vets allow time payments. You need to make a decision. It is not OK to just hope something turns out OK, when you need to be doing a lot more to make it turn out OK.

Question: Small Black Lumps on Dog's Belly

I have a female English Bull Terrier/Staffi, which is 3 years old. I noticed while stroking her belly, she has multiple weird black/dark lumps, around the size of a small bead. These are located around her belly and her sides. We go for a walk around once a fortnight as I'm quite ill at the moment, but we try give her as much exercise as possible, our walks consist of walking along the beach onto a field where she gets let off the leash so she can run freely. The spots have been there for maybe around 3 weeks.

As I'm quite low on money because of Christmas, I would be deeply upset if something was seriously wrong, the spots are making me very concerned about my pet as she's been a part of my family since she was a pup.

By Jodi H.

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]02/24/2014

Call your local Humane society for low cost Vet care. Most offer it, or know where you can find it.

Question: Dachshund Has a Non-painful Bump at the Base of His Tail

My 4 year old Dachshund has a bump on the top of his tail right up where it connects to his body. I'm talking about the tail that wags; not the butt. That's the only way I know how to explain it. I've taken him to two different vets. They can't tell me anything without surgery and a biopsy.

A technician working for one of the vets said she sees these all the time on dogs and they are, I think she called them cysts. She said sometimes they come back after having them removed. I know she's not a vet, but she sees a lot of dogs.

Neither vet would give their opinion as to what they think it may be. Both vets said I could have it removed or I could just watch it to see if it gets any bigger. The funny thing is, one day it's barely noticeable and like a dry spot, then a day or so later it's much bigger again. It worries me, but he doesn't act like it bothering him in any way and I haven't noticed him biting or licking it. I'm asking my Thrifty Funpals if their dog has had these and if it could possibly be coming from his diet.

By Betty

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri [6]03/31/2011

You need to change Veterinarian's ! You need a solid opinion on what's wrong. They can certainly do a biopsy and fine out which type of growth she has. Good luck.

Question: Puppy Has Fast Growing Lump

I bought a puppy from a reputable breeder three weeks ago. Over the Christmas holiday, she started scratching just where her ribs are. This turned into a lump that has grown and grown. I took her to the vet and she said that it was attached to the muscle. She took a sample of cells, and said it might be necessary to do a biopsy.

I'm worried as my insurance won't cover the cost because although she is insured, the small print mentions pre-existing conditions. It seems very young for a dog to have a tumor. I read all the other posts, but the dogs seem older. The vet doesn't reopen till Tuesday and I can't stop thinking about costs and worse case scenario, the puppy can't be saved. Any ideas please?

By Janet from Essex

Most Recent Answer

By doshe [2]01/07/2011

Don't assume the worse. My puppy had quite a few growing lumps as a pup and they all turned out to be just fatty tumors. More of an aggravation than something threatening. Just wait it out and don't worry too much, take her to the vet when it opens.

Question: My Dog's Tumor

I have made a terrible error in judgment. About 1 year ago my female rottie was 8 years. old. She developed a lump about the size of a walnut on her side. My vet stated that; 1) her age is against her for being a good candidate for surgery, 2) if we do operate to remove the tumor,we may find cancer everywhere inside her, and 3) it felt like soft tissue to him but he did leave it up to my decision.

Well being selfish and fearful of losing her during surgery and her not showing discomfort, I had chosen not to operate to remove. My vet told me lots of dogs live fine with such a tumor and never have operation.

It is now approx. 1 year into this and the tumor has grown very slightly but I am thinking... so just what the heck are we supposed to do now, as the tumor has grown a bit. What are we supposed to just let it grow and grow?

I have very little money to pay for care for my best friend and I hate myself right now but I do think we (we is me and her) should try to do something for her before this thing grows who knows how big, even if it wasn't life threatening.
Any suggestions?

Chicka510 from Hayward, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Chicka510 (Guest Post)07/07/2008

Oh I can only say thanks to all whom responded to my post. After reading everyones input I feel so much more at ease, probably because my girl has shown no signs of suffering and I probably really do tend to be a worry wart with her. While reading everyones responses I realized that part of my fear was the feeling of being alone, all of the responses just made me feel so much like I do not have to be alone with this. There are plenty of caring people in this world, I just tend to shut out people and rely a lot on the companionship of my dog.
THANK YOU ALL for the responses, each and everyone is invaluable to me.
Respectfully, Chicka510

Question: Strange Bump On Dachshund's Belly

I have a 4 year old dachshund. For about 2 weeks (or more) she has had this funny looking bump/growth on her belly above her navel. Do you know what it could be and if there is anything I can do for it? It is not draining and is not sore. It started out as a red rashy kind of skin, like she had scratched there. She had a herniated navel at birth just below the bump. Please help!

Lori from Spring Hope, NC

Most Recent Answer

By Lori (Guest Post)08/15/2008

The bump on my Dachsund went away & has never returned nor has anymore popped up. THANK YOU very much for ALL the information & advice. God Bless, Lori & Bailey (Dachsund)
From Spring Hope, NC

Solutions: Bumps and Lumps on a Dog

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!