Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

By Ellen Brown

Question:

I have a Burning Bush that does not turn red in the fall. Any suggestions on how to make it turn red would be appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Thanks,
Sue from Hingham, MA

Answer:

Sue,

I've dealt with this problem myself in the past. I bought three Burning Bushes several years ago and planted them on the north side of my house. They were young shrubs when I purchased them, around 12-15 inches high, and I could hardly wait for them to turn red in the fall. It never happened. Some of the leaves developed a slightly red tinge to them, but I never got them to produce the brilliant red color I was hoping for. Despite the fact they were on the north side of the house, I felt they were getting ample amounts of sun in the location they were planted. Apparently I was wrong.

Two years ago I moved them to full sun on the south side of my house. I applied mulch around the base of each shrub and watered them regularly, but never fertilized them. The first fall after I moved them the leaves turned a dull red again, and it was quite late in the fall before I saw any color. It may have been weather related. This past fall they finally turned the brilliant color I was hoping for. They also produced tiny orange-red berries and they've nearly doubled in height. I would advise you to take a good look at their sun exposure. Are any nearby trees or buildings casting a shadow on them for even part of the day? All day sun will get you the best color.

Ellen Brown

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

Burning Bush (Euonymus Alatus) need sun to turn red in the fall. If it is not out in full sun, I would transplant it to a sunny location this fall. (10/09/2006)

By Chris

Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
🎄