After leaving a pot unattended, the sugar I was trying to boil burned to a cinder. The entire pot is coated with black "tar." It is a standard stainless steel pot (sauce pan) with a lid, it has a double clad bottom. I hate to throw it away. The pot alone would be $40 to $50 to replace. Any suggestions?
By BobbyC from Marlboro, NJ
According to what I googled, boiling hydrogen peroxide in the pan seems to work wonders. (07/30/2009)
Put it back on the stove containing baking soda and vinegar. It will loosen a good part of it. Then, scrub with a scrubber. (07/30/2009)
Also, soak with automatic dishwasher detergent and hot water overnight. A lot of it will come right up in the morning. That stuff dissolves everything. (07/30/2009)
Thank you one and all for your advice. I can tell you honestly that the hydrogen peroxide worked, with very little effort. When I said that the pot was covered with a "tar" like coating, that was really an underestimation. It was more as if you took a spray machine and coated the pot with a thick coating of black, hard epoxy. Impossible as it seemed, I tried the peroxide, only because so many others said that it would work, and it did. Once again, many thanks. (08/02/2009)
I'd just like to say to everyone who tried the hydrogen peroxide method that you are very lucky to be alive today. Boiling HP is extremely dangerous. It is highly unstable at high temperatures and can explode if the boiling becomes too vigorous. In addition, no matter how many windows you have open, just looking into the pot to scrub the stuff from your pot has exposed your lungs to acid fumes. (04/15/2010)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!