Burnt Sugar in a Stainless Steel Pot

After leaving a pot unattended, the sugar I was trying to boil burned to a cinder. The entire pot is coated with black "tar." It is a standard stainless steel pot (sauce pan) with a lid, it has a double clad bottom. I hate to throw it away. The pot alone would be $40 to $50 to replace. Any suggestions?

By BobbyC from Marlboro, NJ

Answers:

Burnt Sugar in a Stainless Steel Pot

According to what I googled, boiling hydrogen peroxide in the pan seems to work wonders. (07/30/2009)

By Noella

Burnt Sugar in a Stainless Steel Pot

Put it back on the stove containing baking soda and vinegar. It will loosen a good part of it. Then, scrub with a scrubber. (07/30/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

Burnt Sugar in a Stainless Steel Pot

Also, soak with automatic dishwasher detergent and hot water overnight. A lot of it will come right up in the morning. That stuff dissolves everything. (07/30/2009)

By Beth

Burnt Sugar in a Stainless Steel Pot

Thank you one and all for your advice. I can tell you honestly that the hydrogen peroxide worked, with very little effort. When I said that the pot was covered with a "tar" like coating, that was really an underestimation. It was more as if you took a spray machine and coated the pot with a thick coating of black, hard epoxy. Impossible as it seemed, I tried the peroxide, only because so many others said that it would work, and it did. Once again, many thanks. (08/02/2009)

By BobbyC

Burnt Sugar in a Stainless Steel Pot

I'd just like to say to everyone who tried the hydrogen peroxide method that you are very lucky to be alive today. Boiling HP is extremely dangerous. It is highly unstable at high temperatures and can explode if the boiling becomes too vigorous. In addition, no matter how many windows you have open, just looking into the pot to scrub the stuff from your pot has exposed your lungs to acid fumes. (04/15/2010)

By bubo10

Pot with burnt residue on the left and the same pot cleaned on the right
Cleaning Burnt Sugar from a Stainless Steel Pot
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Cleaning a stainless steel dishwasher.
Cleaning Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel
🎄