Buy and Freeze Overripe Bananas

I make a habit of buying overripe bananas whenever I find them at a significant savings. Don't let the dark skins fool you! I've actually brought them home to find out they are as nice as the regular bananas. We eat what we can and then freeze the rest for banana bread or cake later on. You can mash or chop them for freezing or freeze them whole in the skins.

If you peel and mash them, stir in a little lemon juice, then freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. I freeze them whole if freezer space allows, then just remove 2-3 for a recipe. (That's the general amount needed in most recipes.) You can defrost the bananas briefly in the microwave or at room temperature until they can be peeled, then mash and use in your recipe. Once defrosted, use in breads, muffins, cakes, puddings, smoothies, or add to yogurt, etc.

By Earth Heart from Polk, Ohio

Answers:

Buy and Freeze Overripe Bananas

Lucky you! I can't even buy ripe bananas, all the ones for sale are still green. I can't remember the last time I saw a ripe banana on sale (01/22/2008)

By Myrtle May

Buy and Freeze Overripe Bananas

We use them for smoothies in the morning and can't seem to keep enough on hand. (01/24/2008)

By susanmajp

Buy and Freeze Overripe Bananas
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
mashed bananas in baggie
Freezing Overripe Bananas
overripe bananas
Using Overripe Bananas
🎉
🎄