Buying Bread in Bulk to Freeze

Category Baked Goods
Buying in bulk can be a great way to save money on staple items like bread. To prevent spoilage, excess bread can be placed in the freezer. This is a guide about buy and freeze bread in bulk.

When our household purchases bread (usually wholesale from Costco), it's just too much for our family to finish within the week, before the bread goes bad!

Immediately after purchasing, we will set aside the bread that we know we won't finish and place it in the freezer. You can use the ziplock freezer bags if you have that or, two plastic bags and seal tight!

Once you finish your bread, and need the one from the fridge - you could let it thaw at room temperature usually within a few hours and the bread is new like you just bought it! No freezer burns or mold!

I don't have any brown paper bags! But glad that works too! Thank you for sharing with us!

Buy several loaves of bread at a time and freeze them. It saves many quick trips to the store just to get a loaf of bread.

To prevent the bottom of the loaf from being soggy or hard, DO NOT place it on the counter to thaw. Place it in the dish rack, or on a baking rack, or somewhere so the air can circulate around the bottom of the loaf. If thawed correctly, it should taste like it just came out of the oven.

Source: Learned this by accident when there was no room on the counter to place a loaf of bread so used the dish drainer in the sink.

By Clynnaltemus from Inglis, FL

Good idea!

Saving time is saving money, and that means less trips to the grocery store to pick up a loaf of bread. I buy six loaves of bread at a time and put the in my freezer.

Bread placed on the counter to thaw will be soggy on the bottom and will get hard and unusable.

The big secret is, when you remove a loaf from the freezer, place it on a dish rack, or across a cooling rack of some sort so the air can circulate beneath the loaf. When it is thawed, it tastes like it is right out of the oven.

By Clynn A. from Inglis, FL

Answers:

Buy Extra Bread and Freeze

Do you leave the bread in the bag or take it out to thaw? I've not had good luck with freezing my bread! thanks (08/28/2009)

By HalfWhit

Buy Extra Bread and Freeze

I love your idea about buying extra bread but the biggest secret is in how you freeze the bread in the first place. It's best to freeze and thaw bread tightly wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and then thaw still wrapped whether on the counter (about four to six hours) or in the fridge (about twelve hours). The reason bread gets soggy after thawing is because it was placed in the freezer in a bag and water/ice granules end up collecting inside the bag because there's air in it. If you've already frozen it in a bag just be sure to remove it from the bag and wrap tightly in the foil or wrap before thawing :-) Hope this helps :-) (08/28/2009)

By Deeli

Buy Extra Bread and Freeze

I do this all the time and never have trouble with soggy bread. I just leave the bags of bread in the plastic sack that I got them in and put it in my freezer. Or if I don't have room, I put them on the door of my fridge freezer. I don't do anything special to thaw them out. I don't leave them in there forever though, maybe a month at the most. (08/29/2009)

By wendiesioux

When I get a excellent buy on bread I buy several, then when I get home I slip the bag of bread into one of those long orange bags my Sunday paper comes in (I save then for this purpose) then I use a twistie or tab to close it and put it in the freezer. I always thaw it out on the counter and I have never had soggy bread at all, just fresh soft bread.