Buying Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
A nontoxic natural insect killer that is completely safe for humans and animals. This is a guide about buying food grade diatomaceous earth.

Where can I buy fresh water food grade diatomaceous earth in Houston TX Area? I want to use it as a wormer for my horses and dogs. Thanks.

Jean from Bellville, TX

Best Answer

Hi!

I buy food grade diatomacious earth at the feed store. Delilah500 is right. Absolutely do not use the DE meant for swimming pool filters for your animals.

Best Answer

Jean,

Fresh water food grade diatomaceous earth is unlike other forms of DE because it is safe to pets and people. This is for information.. not a cheap plug. You can also buy food grade diatomaceous earth inexpensively ONLINE. I own a company called Earth Works Health, and we distribute Permaguard Fresh Water Food Grade DE products with the best prices on the net. You can find us at Earthworkshealth.com.

Larry Smith

For those of you who are interested in this and wonder what the difference is, food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is safe to eat and spread around the house, etc. Pool grade or the kind in pool filters, and is not safe to be around at all and is dangerous.Here is where to order food grade DE:

This is used for a wide variety of pest control needs, mainly fleas, etc, but also worms and other parasites, lice, etc.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Food grade is also available in "better" pet supply stores just for this purpose.

Cool website. Thanks Robyn.....just in time for ant season here!

You can buy food grade DE at most garden shops and feed stores. It can be used on/around pets, the only precaution is that it is a dust and should not be breathed in. Our local ch 3 Garden Guy spreads it with a 'puffer' that blows it easily.

Pat

Food grade diatomaceous earth is a wonderful asset for any home. As for myself, I have successfully used it to eliminate insect pests. I have also added small anounts of DE to cat food to rid them of any possible internal worms. DE is easy to apply to pets coat to prevent fleas & ticks.

Where can I buy diatomaceous earth?

By Debbie A

I've purchased it thru Amazon.com.

Check out your local feed stores. I bought a 50 lb bag for under $25. You can purchase it online at pet supply places, but it will be a smaller quantity and will cost more. I don't like using the chemicals that you put on dogs for flea control and this is a natural product that I dust my dog with for flea control and then also spread in the yard. It can also be put in the animal's food to help with internal parasite control.

Where, in Canada, can I purchase food-grade diatomaceous earth?

By Nadine

Where can I find a retail outlet that supplies food safe diatomaceous earth?

By Arthur from Bronx, NY

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?

What food use is there for diatomaceous earth? (02/23/2011)

By lindal

Check out your neighboring auto parts stores. The bags of 'stuff' they sell to absorb spilled oil are maybe just what you're looking for. Just make sure you read the content label. I did and diatomaceous earth was on the label.

I bought a bag to spread on sidewalk ice. It worked fine -- and Mourning Doves ate it! They know what's healthy. (02/23/2011)

By tomatohanger

earthworkshealth.com is where I ordered mine. Reasonable, When I bought mine lots of it was for sharing with dog and cat people so I bought 4 of the 2.5 pound gallon jugs for $23. Shipping/ handling was $15.32. That was in 4/10. Good people. They care and that stuff is amazing. I take it. Give it to my dogs, cats and birds. I even put it in squirrel and raccoon food. Read up on its benefits. It is a gentle fix. Don't expect overnight miracles. (02/23/2011)

By muttmom

I buy mine from a seller on eBay. Very good prices and almost any size bag. Just put Diamotaceous earth in the eBay browser and check out the sellers. (02/23/2011)

By cybergrannie

If it is a pet you are looking to give it to, I have seen food grade sold in better pet supply stores, (not Petsmart or Petco) if you have any in your area. They are usually privately owned and not chain stores. (02/24/2011)

By Beth

Where can I buy food grade diamotaceous earth?

By Brittney from San Diego, CA

Answers:

You should be able to purchase at any large hardware store. I purchased a 3lb. bag at Lowe's for just under $10 with tax. It has lasted for a very long time! I have also seen it available at smaller hardware stores and online. Lawn and garden stores also carry it. It is fairly inexpensive and yet so useful for many things. Please be cautious when purchasing that you don't pay more than necessary. Since bed bugs have become such an issue many companies are selling the DE powder in special packaging advertising for the use of killing bed bugs and charging 3 to 4 times more. Also, be cautious not to get pool grade. The 2 are often sold at the same store on the same shelf. Good luck to you! (10/24/2010)

By Tonimarie1

I would order it online:
http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Blessings.

(10/24/2010)

By Robyn Fed

I got my food grade DE from a local store in Austin, TX and this is the contact info. on the bottle of DE. They're out of New Mexico. Perma-Guard.com. 505-243-1460. (10/27/2010)

By slayergrrl

Earthworkshealth.com. 1 800 228 5836. It comes with directions, uses, etc. The price is reasonable and they have fast shipping. They are a concerned for health company. My gallon jug, I think was $9. I had enough to share. I took it myself and found I had worms. There were no symptoms, but I had found that about 75% of our population has worms. Kids can't go through school without pinworms. The eggs are on the doorknobs. What a blessing huh? (10/27/2010)

By muttmom

Animal feed stores carry it along with pet stores that sell higher quality food. I have used it on my dogs and cats for fleas and though messy, it eradicates fleas. (10/27/2010)

By Ms Frugal

Check eBay if you cannot find locally. This is where I buy my supply. (10/28/2010)

By cybergrannie

Where can I find Diatomaceous Earth?

Starla

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Go to any swimming pool supply store.
We used it to put around our flowers and plants that slugs love, it stopped them in their tracks. I'm reading that it is good for other pests as well.
(07/12/2004)

By Nrsnice1

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

I buy it at the nursery, but before I could get it locally I bought it on-line. I buy the 25 lb. bag. (07/12/2004)

By Vicki

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Diatomaceous Earth is used in some types of swimming pool filters, therefore it is readily available at swimming pool supply dealers. (07/12/2004)

By Debbie

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

They sell it at health food stores with the pet supplies. (07/12/2004)

By Shirl

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Home Depot has it, check the garden department. They did warn us that it also kills the good bugs such as earthworms. We decided not to use it. (07/13/2004)

By Caima

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

I didn't know it killed the good bugs, thanks for the info. But I just sprinkle it on ant hills & around the perimeter of the outside of my house. I haven't seen any dead good bugs or worms. It's also one of the few things you can use inside safely. (07/13/2004)

By Vicki

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Warning! I just read on another site that you don't want to use diatomaceous earth that is for swimming pools: "DE sold for swimming pool filters is ineffective for insect control because it has been heated and chemically treated. It won't kill insects and it is very dangerous to breathe."

Also, if you are using DE for garden insect control, be careful, because it will kill beneficial insects too! Don't use it too often. (07/19/2004)

By Alicia

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

You should not use swimming pool DE. It is heat-treated, which causes a change to the powder that makes it more dangerous for humans. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

(07/29/2006)

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

dirtworks.net has diatomaceous earth - you can buy the freshwater, food grade, it comes in small or large quanities, along with puffer bottles for insect control. (10/14/2006)

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

sorry, here's the link:

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html (10/19/2006)

By Dirtworks

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

I'm going to go buy some at home depot. (12/30/2006)

By tim

Good Bugs, Bad Bugs

You can use "beneficial nematodes" for the yard. I read that they eat the larvae of bad insects, not the good ones. I'm planning on using that in the yard and DE in the house! (01/18/2007)

By Shannon

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Is diatomaceous earth readily available in Central Mexico? Is it a locally produced material, or must it be imported?

Editor's Note: The Aztecs used to use it so it must be available in Mexico.
(12/02/2007)

By George

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

WARNING: Please make sure you distinguish the difference between
"Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" and "Pool Grade Diatomaceous Earth".

Food-grade Diatomaceous earth is safe to use around pets and children and indoors with animals, while pool grade is toxic to pets and even humans!
(08/11/2008)

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

You can buy food grade diatomaceous earth online at:
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Or retail stores:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/de_retailers.html
and here:

http://www.allnaturalhorses.com

http://www.holisticlivestock.com

http://www.wolfcreekranch.net

If you can find a retailer near you, the best place to find "food grade" diatomaceous earth is at a feed store.
(10/24/2008)

By healthy pets

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

You can buy food grade diatomaceous earth at
http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/product/diatomaceous-earth-de-food-grade
(11/19/2008)

By jsmith

Where Can I Buy Diatomaceous Earth?

Make sure that if you plan on ingesting diatomaceous earth, that it is labeled as "food grade". Otherwise, it is larger shards and can tear at the intestinal lining. (02/01/2009)

By joe