Buying Frozen Rhubarb

Frozen rhubarb on a white background
It can be difficult, for some consumers, to find frozen rhubarb at the store during much of the year. This is a guide about buying frozen rhubarb.

Where do I find frozen rhubarb in Los Alamitos/Long Beach, CA area?

By Bonnie D.

I have never seen frozen rhubarb. However go to vermontcountrystore.com every now and then they have canned rhubarb. I think it is rather expensive, but to me it is worth it because anybody that I know doesn't seem to grow it and living in an apartment complex I can't raise it. The canned does taste good right out of the can.

Where do I find frozen rhubarb in Ontario, Canada?

By Patricia K

I don't know if there is such a thing. None of the grocery stores where I live in the US have it. I did find a source where I can buy canned rhubarb. It is a catalog. Go to vermontcountrystore.com and see if you can find it there otherwise ask for one of their catalogs. It isn't in every catalog, but in most of them. It is the only solution I have found for rhubarb, because I don't know anybody that grows rhubarb.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to buy some frozen rhubarb? Or fresh would be better. Could it possibly come dried? I live in California's San Joaquin Valley and have searched and searched for rhubarb. It apparently won't grow around here, and I haven't found it for sale anywhere. Seems that Dole used to offer it frozen, but I can find no reference to that at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

wondernana from Clovis, CA

Answers:

Looking For Frozen Rhubarb

Fresh rhubarb has just started appearing in our fresh fruit/vegetable section in the stores as well as the farmer's markets (Indiana). I would suggest an ethnic grocery store if you haven't already. As for frozen, try closer to Thanksgiving at the grocery that has a good selection of unique/odd items. Another thought is to ask at the customer service desk if they can order it frozen. Our local grocery will do this, especially with items that will last on the shelves. Maybe try a restaurant supplier. Sorry that this doesn't help you right now. I went through the same dilemma last year at Christmas. I was going to make a rhubarb pie for my husband and voila my main ingredient (which had been in the fresh and frozen section up until 2 weeks before I needed it!) was nowhere to be found. (08/31/2008)

By afrohardt

Looking For Frozen Rhubarb

Here in Michigan, I've always thought of rhubarb as an early spring crop, not fall. But as I watered my little rhubarb patch today, I saw one lovely new leaf, so maybe it can be a fall crop too. How about Whole Foods? or Trader Joes? I see it frequently at Meijers (and am astounded at the price of something that grows like a weed once the patch is established), but that is a regional chain, far from California. (08/31/2008)

By Holly

Buying Frozen Rhubarb

I just found a place you can buy frozen rhubarb. It's frankfarms.com. It's a place located in Michigan and they deliver all over the United States. (09/13/2008)

By tiff

Buying Frozen Rhubarb

Try Amazon.com, click groceries, search "Rhubarb frozen".

It will take you to Williamette Valley Fruit Company in Oregon. Amazon will notify you when available. (08/11/2009)

By Bunker Hill

Buying Frozen Rhubarb

Thanks for the info about Frank farms. The prices seem somewhat more reasonable than others have described and they have a good selection of other fruit. Thanks (02/14/2010)

By ithilien