Buying Pants Without Trying Them On

Close-up of a pair of jeans with a measuring tape curled on top and through the belt loop against a wooden background
Trying on clothes can sometimes be more of a chore than an adventure. Save time by learning to measure pants for a good fit without trying them on. This is a guide about buying pants without trying them on.

Ladies, want to find the correct size pants when shopping? There are so many different name brands of women's pants in the market place; at times it is almost impossible to find your size quickly without a hassle. I learned a trick that works for me and maybe will work for you also.

1. I picked out a pair of my pants at home that I really like the fit. I usually have to hem my pants because I am petite and have short legs.
  2. I laid them flat, and then I measured the hips from side to side, not the waist. Most stretch pants have a not so tight waist.
  3. I measured from the crutch up to the waist.
  4. Then I measured the width of the top of the leg. Example: 18 inches from side to side hips. 10 inches from crotch to waist body. 8 inches top width of one leg.
    Make sure the leg length and loose fit or whatever is what you like. For me: This measurement can run from size 6 to 10.
  5. Then carry a small measuring tape in your purse or pocket when shopping.

Anonymous

Great idea. I'll try it.

Good idea. Some dressing rooms don't have a seating area. I'm 75 and sometimes find it hard to get pants on and off without sitting down.