Buying Tires

Category Maintenance
New Tires
Tires are an important and expensive auto maintenance purchase. Knowing how to select the best tires for your vehicle and its usage will make this a more positive experience. This is a guide about buying tires.

When we go to a store to buy tires, we think we are buying new ones, right? We may not be. As it turns out the date the tire is manufactured is on the inside part of the tire. If you check the date on the tires, you may find they are five years old or even sixteen! These tires are sold as new, because they have never have been used! Check the date on the inside of the tires; I know we will from now on.

Source: This was sent to us by a close friend of our family.

By Bev S. from Chilliwack, BC

Product: Michelin Tires

Manufacturer: Michelin

Michelin tires are about the best tires you can buy, my husband says. The last time he bought tires, he got the GoodYear brand, but had so much trouble with them, he took them back and the tire store swapped them for Michelins. All we had to pay for then was the road hazard warranty.

By Terri from NV

This is a tip if you have a job that requires using your own vehicle on the job or do a lot of driving. When shopping for tires for your vehicle, tell the salesman what kind of driving that you do and that you don't want to have to come in 6 months to buy more tires. Tell the salesman, if you've bought all kinds of tires in the past, the ones that don't last long. Have him make a suggestion as to what kind you need.

By Terri from NV

High mileage tires are made of a harder rubber and will be a bit noisier, but will last longer than the average tire. Go into a tire store and you'll see they have tire warranties that usually start at 40,000 miles but can be as high as 75,000 miles. The 75,000 miles warranty is a "high end tire".

By Terri from NV

When buying new tires or having the ones that are currently on your car rotated, ask to have the rims installed by hand, instead of with an impact wrench. With an impact wrench, sometimes they'll cross thread them. If this happens and later on you have a flat tire out on the roadway, you'll not be able to get the wheel off to change it. Or, the next time you have your tires rotated they'll have to break the bolts off to get your wheel off. (this is from experience)

By Terri H.

We bought a lot of tires from agency of Good Year. They were produced in 2003. I wanted to know if these tires are still suitable for using or not.

Ali

Answers

If the tire does not show dry rot and can be balanced with little difficulty it is probably a good tire. If nothing else they are perfect for a spares.

Seven year old GoodYear tires are not safe for highway speed, but you can easily get another five years of slow farm work out of them. If you have to use them to get home, put Fix-A-Flat into them. The solvent in it makes them a little bit less brittle.

Have fun!

DearWebby

I have found information on the web by the Straregic Safety Adm. that states retailers should not sell tires that have been in storage more than 6 years from date of manufacture. The tires will rot from the inside. If you look on Google.com you will find other links to your question.

You can also go to www.goodyear.com click on "passenger tire", scroll to the bottom and click on "contact us" and state your concern about tires made in 2003.

Anonymous

I remember reading about this subject a few years ago. I found these links regarding the subject for info about the age of tires and safety:

http://www.safe  s-tire-age-bill/

http://hubpages  d-Driving-Safety

http://www.cbsn  main698335.shtml

The date of manufacture is on the inside of the tires, not easy to find and hard to understand if you don't know how to read it.

It is not recommended to ride on any tires that are older than 6 years. I saw the story of the young man who was killed in his parents van from this very problem.

The date would read something like this: 1232003

Which means it was made on the 123rd day of 2003. I might not have it spot on, but it's close.

The rubber degrades even when it is sitting new on the showroom floor.

Don't take the risk. Not even for a spare...

Here is what I found when I googled "tire expiration dates".

http://www.goog  oq=&gs_rfai=

I need information on good winter/summer (all season or all terrain) tires for my F-150 super crew pick up. I am in the market for four new tires and they can be spendy (up to 200 dollars per tire). So I want people's opinion on the kind of tires they have and why they like or dislike them. We live in an area that gets a lot of snow and also slushy, freezing type precipitation. Has anyone used Nokian Vatiiva All Purpose Passenger, SUV, and light truck tires or Firestone Destination All-terrain tires as those are the two types we are looking at buying.

jho from Chassell

Cooper mud and snow radial made in east Tennessee, are top quality, with good traction, and long tread life. They cost more but are well worth it.

Required by law, all tires are branded with a rating and other useful information such as the date they were manufactured. My suggestion is to visit the government website for tire ratings, www.safercar.gov. It will tell you how the tires are rated and you can compare your choices. It will also educate you on how to read the information that is contained on every tire. It has certainly helped me to identify old "new" tires and to avoid purchasing an inferior tire. Good luck!

Do your research at safercar.gov NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has rated 2400 models of tires at this site. Then go to a BJ's or SAM's club to purchase them making sure to look inside the tire for the date of manufacture.

All season tires are not actually intended for winter. If you get temperatures lower that 7 C (about 42F) you should be using winter tires. Winter tires are worth the investment, and since you use them only in the winter, they really are not any more expensive. Save the all-seasons for spring, summer, and fall.

I just bought Fortera triple tread any weather tires. Rain,Ice,dry They Are the best tires I drive a Tahoe SUV and live in Florida lots of rain these tires go through water so smooth I'm glad I spent the extra money on these tires. (Goodyear)