Buying a Mattress

Category Shopping
Locating the most comfortable mattress at the best price will help you have a good night's sleep. This guide is about buying a mattress.

When buying a mattress from one of the telephone/delivery mattress services, they all guarantee the lowest possible price. Try calling two, back and forth, a few times, and watch how they keep lowering their prices to beat the competitor!

By Jennifer M.

I compared prices and I bought a new mattress from Sam's Wholesale Club: top quality brand-name for the best price.

I'm in the process of buying a new mattress and I just need some input on the ones really worth the money. What are they?

Jenny from Milwaukee, WI

The best bed I've ever had and still own was recommended by my lil; bro who is a chiropractor. It's a Select Comfort. I.ve had it for 10 yrs and it's still like new, unlike conventional beds where the foam breaks down after a couple yrs. Disassembled you can move it in a car (no struggling with bulky mattresses) and you use regular sheet sets on it. I have lots of back and neck pain and fibromyalgia and this bed has been wonderful. It has dual controls , so your bed mate can adjust the firmness level also. I'd buy thi bed all over again, but next time I'd get a king size!

We recently purchased a TempurPedic bed. We'd surfed the net looking at them, we order the free video and sample of foam, we looked in the mattress stores at them, we asked around. We have not regretted purchasing this bed. I don't hurt when getting up in the mornings, with my back, like I had been for the last year with our old mattress. My husband doesn't snore as much as he did before with the old mattress, nor does he moan and groan in pain (had some vertabrae & cracked ribs a few years ago) when turning over in bed, as he did with the old bed. All in all we get a much better sleep. No regrets at all.

we swear by Stearns and Foster. Bought one 20 years ago and just had to replace it this year. A little more money, but well worth it. These babies are built to last.

The BEST BED I've ever had or slept on is a TEMPERPEDIC FOAM BED!!!! IT's wonderful!!!!! :) I'm spoiled now but, worth the money

ME TOO!!! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. Will never buy another kind again. Like sinking into a fluffy cloud. Well worth the money.

We have a serta. I go to bed & wake up in the same position where I use to toss & turn all night due to back pain from AS & FM. It was around the 2 thousand dollar mark but we got it on sale for 1500.00.

I bought a very expensive Denver Mattress double pillow top California King, it has been replaced 3 times. Each replacement was for a different kind of Denver Mattress bed, I am down to a Queen Drs. Choice which is going to be replaced because it failed. The only thing I can say good about Denver Mattress is the 15 year warranty, they just keep replacing the bed when it fails. I still have 7 years on my warranty.

I have a Sleep Number with a leak in the bladder and no way to fix it. The pump is cheap plastic made in China. Any air mattress with a pad on top would be just as comfortable. Sleep Number is a severely over priced gimmick.

We have a Sealy Postropedic with a 10 year warrently. We had it replaced after 2.5 years.... and it needs to be replaced again after another 1.5 years.

fox mattress in holly hill fl. nothing compares to the quality of this mattress. i've owned them all and this is by far the best ever, great price, great service

We bought an expensive Simmons 14 months ago. Within the last couple of months, it developed a 'divet' on my husband's side and is sagging at the foot about 2 inches. An inspector was sent out tonight and he was so informative.

First, the wood on the box springs (which we purchased with the mattress) is warped. The inspector told us that mattress/box springs today are built to last 2 maybe 3 years - that's it!

Don't spend more than $700 or $800 for the set, get a 10 year warranty, found out if the coils are 13 gauge in the mattress and 6 gauge on the outer edges, and don't buy pillow top - they are horrible.

Don't get foam - because everyone 'sweats' and after a few months that causes the foam to start cracking. I don't know if Simmons will honor the the 10 year warranty - I read online they make numerous excuses to avoid honoring the warranty. If Simmons doesn't honor the warranty - we are going to donate the bed to Catholic charities and go buy another at Sam's or Costco or Hobo's... per the inspector's suggestion.

How can I save money on mattresses?

By Fina from Tyrone, OK

Look for sales in the ads; call some stores. Where I live there is a store called something like Hotel Liquidators, they sell used furniture, mattresses, etc. from hotels. From what different people have told me hotels are required to change their mattresses before they start to show wear. The store here also sells new items, but I haven't checked the price. Look on Craigs List, freecycle, etc. A lot also depends on what you want in a mattress.

I wouldn't recommend buying a used mattress right now, when bedbugs are so rampant. Just keep your eyes open for a good sale, or do what I am considering - buy a platform bed of some sort. Then you only need a mattress and not a boxspring which would save some money. Something like this, for example: http://www.walm  en-King/10924588

A matress isn't something I'd suggest anyone skimp on. However, being poor myself, I understand about pinching every penny for all you're worth. I'd say check your most reputable thrift stores. We prefer our local St Vincent de Paul thrift shop, but I'm sure you could find something at your local Goodwill store, too. Keep your sleep habits and firmness preference in mind as you shop; you know what you want in a matress. Once you buy, consider buying a plastic matress cover and put it on before the matress comes in the house. If you'd prefer not to, please consider pre-treating for any hidden critters before you bring the matress indoors. Hope you find the perfect matress!