General AdviceConsumer Advice

Buying a Sling for a Fractured Arm

Where do I find a sling/cast for fractures?

By Alyssa L.

If you or someone you know has what may be fracture and has not received medical treatment, you need to seek it immediately. The short answer to your question is that casts are applied by medical personnel. They cannot be purchased as so many medical supplies can be. I'm not sure slings are available like that either. This is not something you want to try to treat yourself. Broken bones are not something to play around with.

If you need an actual cast for a fractured arm, I assume it has been medically diagnosed, and then physicians would apply the cast. There again, if your arm has been medially diagnosed, your physician would have sold you a sling.

If you just think it is fractured, you should have a doctor look at it, because if you don't you could end up with a bigger mess. If you actually need a sling, as an extra, most pharmacies have them.

That being said I got by with one sling, obtained in the emergency room when I fractured my arm, for nine weeks. When my daughter laundered it for me, I made sure I kept the arm bent at the elbow and close to my body. Fractures just aren't something you should self-diagnose.