Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

My grocery store sells bulk spices which I love because I can buy as little as I want and I find it to be cheaper too. I find that when I buy the packaged spices they go stale before I can use it all up and I end up throwing it out which to me is a big waste of money!

I store the bulk spices in tiny canning/jam jars, write on a label what is inside the jar and stick it to the top of my jar. I put all the little jars in a shoe box and store it in my cupboard. When I need a spice or two I pull out the box and look for it and I can see what is in each jar from the label instead of pulling several out to look at their contents.

By Lisa from Mission, B.C. Canada

Answers:

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I store my spices also in jam jars,but I like your idea of using a shoe box and pulling them out of the cupboard. (01/16/2008)

By tamook

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I store mine in the fridge, they will keep longer if kept cool. (01/16/2008)

By

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I love the marking and shoebox idea, which I am going to do. However,I use the re-sealable sandwich,gallon or snack bags.and store in the freezer and or frig. They last much longer. A hint: spices like parsley or oregano, in clean hands put the amount you want in your hand and it opens them up more.. (01/16/2008)

By keeper60

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I have read that all seed type spices, ex. -sesame, poppy, fennel, etc. should be kept refrigerated or for long term storage, in the freezer. This also includes paprika, ground red pepper, chili powder, etc.
(01/17/2008)

By Mike