CD Jewel Case Décor Ideas

Category Decor
CD Jewel Case Décor
This is a guide about cd jewel case décor ideas. You can reuse these CD cases for a variety of photo displays.

Ok, AOL - make my day. Send me as much CDs as you like. I can now use those Jewel Cases you send. (I know other uses for those CDs too - but that is another article). And if AOL is not the culprit but that other person who lives in your house who wants to put all the CDs in an album-like container, leaving those CD Jewel Cases behind - craving to be placed into the trash can...cry no more! Here is a great way to transform them into lovely decorations or frames.

Ingredients

Method/Instructions

• A. Preparing the CD Jewel Case

1. Open the Jewel Case and remove the top cover. The best way to do this is to gently lift the top cover male connection until it separates from the bottom female opening. Be careful as prying them too wide cracks the top cover. Remove the CD title paper on the top cover.

2. Remove the middle plastic attached to the lower cover; ie the plastic part which has the circular shape to hold the CD. Depending on the type of Jewel Case, it can be removed with varying degrees of difficulty. For the difficult ones, the best way to remove the middle part is to flex the back cover so that the back cover and the middle plastic separate where you can place your finger between them. Pry open where there is only 1 connection first (each side has 3 connection - 1 in 1 edge while 2 in the opposite edge). When that has separated, pry open the other 2 connections on the same side or the other 1 connection on the other side, whichever pries more easily first. Remove the CD title paper on the back cover.

3. Replace the top cover to the back cover. This time, however, place the top cover on the opposite direction such that it won't close. You now have a slanted surface with the CD title clips facing back.

4. Depending on the theme you would like to do, cut and shape your papers, cards, giftwraps, photos etc. Take note of the Jewel Case's internal dimensions so that you can lay-out accurately. Typical dimension available for décor is 4 3/4" wide and 5" high.

1. For Valentines', I uses 4 Jewel Cases to place the 4 letters of the word "love". You can do calligraphy or use the PC/Printer's Edwardian Script. I used scrapbooking paper I bought from the Dollar Tree. Miss Elizabeth's Sugar and Spice is $1 for 5 pages and it is already acid-free and lignin-free.

2. For Spring, I used 3 Jewel Cases and formatted photos we took from the Skagit Valley's Tulip Festival.

3. You can use these as photo frames. As an example, these are our Christmas photos. I edged it with some Christmas symbols I got from the same old Christmas card box I used on the Sample Credit Card "Piggy Bank".

4. A variation of "a" above is to use your kid's name for décor in their rooms.

5. Insert the decors/photos you have prepared in B into the top cover such that the CD title clips are securing them. Adjust accordingly.

6. Use a cardboard for backing the papers or photos so that they look firm from the front.

Arrange them in your display area and you've got personalized décor you can change over and over again as the mood changes or as the season changes. No need to repaint the house every season!

By Rela Ann