Cabbage Roll Recipe

I am looking for a stuffed cabbage roll recipe that does not use rice, as my family does not eat rice. Thank you in advance for your help!

jmz2005 from Illinois

Cabbage Roll Recipe

I do not have a recipe, but you might be able to substitute bread crumbs or oatmeal for rice. Basically make a meat loaf mixture that has bread crumbs in it, wrap the cabbage around it, and proceed as you would for any other cabbage roll recipe.
Hope this helps.
By the way...does anyone have a recipe for stuffed cabbage that does not use a tomato based sauce? (03/01/2006)

By cosmic

Cabbage Roll Recipe

You could use couscous - I think that would work.

BOTH Cabbage Roll Recipe

Hi, That is one ethnic food I grew up with, and so I know how to make it a variety of ways, you can make the recipe with barley instead the rice. My grandma did that sometimes. Also, my mom is allergic to tomato, so my grandmother would use beef broth and add some paprika if my mom was coming, gave it a nice twist to that taste when you are use to tomato. RECIPE: sorry I do not use measurements, but, core your cabbage head as well as you can, steam if for a few minutes, till the leaves are a bit transparent, pull out of water and peel leaves off as whole as you can, mix: I use beef and bit of ground pork for the filling, with just a very little bit of basil, some garlic, and pepper, I use minute rice (uncooked), but like I said you can use barley. rolling: make sure you put meat in the "cup" part of leaf, and fold the edges in as you roll so they stay tight, I use tomato juice for the sauce, and get a small can of sour kraut rinse very well put in your roaster, add your rolls, if there is left over meat you can make them into balls, kids don't seem to like the cabbage part. Add a tad of sugar

and roast for like 2-3 hrs on 325, check frequently to make sure rolls are staying moist, (covered almost completely) add water if needed, make sure its not scorching on the bottom, and enjoy (03/02/2006)

By Gina

Cabbage Roll Recipe

I use regular saltine crackers when I make cabbage rolls. First I boil my cabbage and cut the leaves off. Then in a big bowl I combine hamburger, eggs (1 egg for each lb. of meat), onion soup mix (1 pack for eack lb. of meat) & pack of saltine crackers crushed. Mix it all up and stuff your cabbage. I pour a couple of jars of spaghetti sauce over the cabbage rolls (enough to almost cover them and add a little water). Bake for a few hours depending on how many cabbage rolls there are. I always get compliments on my cabbage rolls. (03/02/2006)

By luv2craft

Cabbage Roll Recipe

I don't put Rice in my cabbage rolls either.I just use saltine Crackers,some times I just make up the mixture for a meatloaf and roll it up in the cabbage works just fine.the reason I use the crackers is to give the meat a binding agent and that's what the rice is there tastes just as good and I think you'll be happy with the results. (03/03/2006)

By Georgia Peach

Cabbage Roll Recipe

Try ouzo which is a rice shaped pasta. Or any tiny pasta. You could even break up spaghetti noodles into very small pieces. (03/05/2006)

By thriftyboo

Cabbage Roll Recipe

try cooked pearl barley or maybe couscous (10/28/2006)

By Thelma

Cabbage Roll Recipes
Cabbage Roll Recipes
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 21, 2016 at 6:32:39 PM on in 947 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.