Cake is Too Dry

When I make a cake, the directions are to bake for a certain amount of time or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. When I wait until the toothpick comes out totally clean, the cake is very dry. Can the toothpick be a little wet, and the cake still be okay to take out of the oven?

Thanks for any and all replies.

P.J. from Delaware

Answers:

Cake is Too Dry

I take my cakes out when there is a small amount on the toothpick and they are just fine. Another thing that I do is frost the cake when it is still a little bit warm. I think the frosting helps trap some of the moisture in the cake. Mine almost always turn out moist. Good luck! (12/12/2005)

By dpcw

Cake is Too Dry

If there is a little of cooked cake on the toothpick, that's OK. What you're supposed to check with the toothpick is to make sure there's no "wet" or "uncooked" batter. If the cake cracks a little on top, you know it's done (unless batter is oozing out, which means your oven is baking too hot). Baking any longer will give you a dry cake. (12/12/2005)

By susanmajp

Cake is Too Dry

Some other ways to tell if your cake is done: (1) look along the edges - if they have come loose from the side of the pan, your cake is done. (2) Use your clean index finger and press lightly on the top of the cake near the center, it should spring back up immediately. (3) If you can smell the cake from other areas of your house, it's either done or just about done. :-) (12/12/2005)

By Teri

Cake is Too Dry

If you are using the new silicone baking pans, I have noticed they turn out the baked goods on the dry side. (12/13/2005)

By cookwie

Cake is Too Dry

I make wedding cakes periodically and like to frost and decorate them while frozen. I usually freeze the cake layers while they are still warm. This seems to lock in the moisture. (12/13/2005)

By crystal

Cake is Too Dry

One of the ways to see if your cake is cooked properly is to press the center of the cake with your finger if it springs back that means that your cake is cooked well. Another way is to insert a skewer or tooth pick in the cake if it comes out clean or just a little mixture on it then it is well cooked. (05/04/2007)

By Elisha

Cake is Too Dry
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Making a boxed cake mix.
Baking a Cake With Boxed Cake Mix
🎄