Cakes Sticking to the Pan

My cake stuck to the pan. I greased and floured the pan (Wilton 9 inch round). I just started cake decorating class and thought baking would be the easy part, I guessed wrong. How do I stop the cake from sticking? Now I have a clumpy mess of cake so I will have to make a new one. Any hints or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Janet from Ontario

Answers:

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

I found if I wait for about a minute before I try to "depan" the cake it's less likely to stick. (01/26/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

After your cake comes out of the oven lay the hot pan onto a wet dishrag and let the cake cool completely before attempting to remove it from the pan. (01/26/2009)

By theseamstress

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

You need to let it cool in the pan for about ten minutes before you take it out. If you leave it in too long, it will stick; but if you put it back in the oven briefly (to heat the pan), you should be able to get it back out.

Another trick is to line the pan with foil or parchment (just the bottom if you use parchment), and grease and flour that. Then if it doesn't slide out, you can lift the foil out and peel it. (01/26/2009)

By Jilson

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

Before putting the batter in the pan, make sure you lightly grease the pan (I've always used Crisco) and then lightly flour the pan. The key is lightly so you don't add extra grease or flour to the batter itself. This works every time. (01/26/2009)

By me13

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

I grease and flour the cake pans and I also cut two round pieces of parchment paper which I line the bottoms of the pans before I pour in the cake batter. (01/26/2009)

By

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

The easiest way to be sure the cake won't stick is spray your pan with Pam cooking spray, not the olive oil spray it does not work for baking. Once you have sprayed your pan just pour in your cake batter. You don't have to flour the pan, it won't need it at all. Let your cake cool about 10 minutes before turning out of the pan. Works every time. I bake a lot. (01/26/2009)

By Tiffany

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

The parchment and then letting them cool in the pans is the key. I let mine cool about 10 minutes. After they're cool, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze. They're easier to frost. A cake baker taught me this. Happy baking, and don't get discouraged. (01/27/2009)

By keeper60

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

I always line my cake pans with wax paper. Just trace an outline of the pan and cut out. I still grease and flour the pan. A nice trick for flouring is to use flour for light cakes and cocoa for dark ones. (01/28/2009)

By piki viki

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

I use a can of spray called Baker's Joy and have never had a problem with a cake sticking. Works great. (01/28/2009)

By Joyce

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

I have been making wedding cakes for many years and I also use the waxed paper rounds on the bottom. I also use the Pam Bakers Spray which has the flour in it. Spray the pans over the sink so it doesn't get all over everywhere, let the cakes cool on baker's rack. Then run a moist knife around the inside edge and flip over on the plate. Now peel off waxed paper and you have a clean, crumbless surface to frost. (01/28/2009).

By Virginia Pride

Cakes Sticking to the Pan

I also took a cake decorating class and was told to spray my pans and then put a paper towel (with no design imprint) in the bottom. When you get ready to dump your cake, all the crumbs stick to the paper towel. (02/05/2009)

By L Ward

Two chocolate cake layers in pans on a cooling rack
Preventing Cakes from Sticking to a Cake Pan
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes
🎉
🎄