Can I Serve Banana Splits in Paper Hot Dog Boats?

I need a dish to serve banana splits in for my Red Hat party. Does anyone know if the paper/light-weight cardboard "boats" (like the ones hot dogs or fries are served in) are waterproof enough to serve an ice cream dessert? If not, any other ideas of a dish to use? I need about 25 for our group, but the plastic banana split boats at the restaurant supply come in stacks of 250 - way too many for our use.

By Melody from Oak Ridge, TN

Buy a package of plastic bowls for your banana splits. You can buy them very cheaply at one of the dollar stores. I wouldn't take a chance with the paper/light weight serving trays that are used for hot dogs and french fries. If the ice cream starts to melt the person eating it will have a big mess to clean up. I'd stick with the bowls.

Yeah, I'd probably go with bowls because, just in case.

My ice cream shop is family owned and for banana splits they just use Styrofoam hot dog holders and they work great! If you can find those, they are awesome!

Is there an ice cream shop in your area that would sell you just the bowls in the quantity that you need? Maybe a Dairy Queen or Frosty Freeze? The other suggestion would be to buy all different types of bowls at a thrift shop for practically nothing, and send the bowls home as a favor (after they get washed of course!)

No, they are to thin. It will soak through! They do sell plastic hotdog containers at the dollar stores and Walmart for either 2 for a dollar or 4 for a dollar. I also like the previous post of getting random bowls at a thrift store!

Why don't you do some research and find out for yourself? You'll get to eat both ice cream and hotdogs.

Thanks for all the input. Did get some sample paper boats and they held up pretty well for anywhere from 5 minutes to about 15+. It was very individual and they were all the same company, too. This might work well for a kids party where they inhale the food, ice cream included but not for my Red Hat ladies - we talk too much while were eating to finish in 5 minutes (and the talking is the best part! :-} )