Can This Split Tree Be Saved?

Can this tree be saved? Please see the picture.
Thanks.
Hardiness Zone: 9b

Pi Sheng Chang from San Jose, CA

Split Tree

Answers:

Can This Tree Be Saved?

Is there a way for you to tie several bands around the trunk to hold both sides of it tightly together. The trunk just might heal, like a cut finger. It's not a guarantee, but it's worth a try. (11/15/2007)

By MCW

Can This Tree Be Saved?

I once saved a tree that was in just this condition. I got a couple of strips of wood to use as splints and used (don't laugh) masking tape to hold it all together. My husband looked at what I'd done and just shook his head. He said "Honey, that's never going to work." But it did. That was about 10 years ago and the tree is still going strong. (11/15/2007)

By June in Hayward, CA

Can This Tree Be Saved?

It looks like the problem may have developed because of the way the tree is bound to the stakes.

It looks old enough to not have the ties or just one or two below the branches, if you're located in a windy area. Trees over a year old, shouldn't be tethered.

This what our tree guy tells us.

(11/15/2007)

By Anonymous

Can This Tree Be Saved?

Here's the thing- I agree that it can be "saved". The only thing that I would worry about is the resulting strength of the tree joint. There's always a possibility that it will start to rot inside the injury and cause the tree to split again, possibly when it's old enough to drop a limb onto a car. Is this your tree? It looks like it's part of a city's right of way. If it is, I would ask that the city cut it down and plant a new one. It just seems like it's going to be a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. (11/15/2007)

By Beth - MA

Can This Split Tree Be Saved?

My husband said to put a few big bolts, I think he said lag bolts through it. Anything is worth a try. I agree to remove the supports (11/17/2007)

By fauxpaslover

Can This Split Tree Be Saved?

Ask at a nursery for a spray treatment to prevent rot so the split can heal better. (11/17/2007)

By kimhis

Can This Split Tree Be Saved?

I would not spray it as this might stop the natural process of it knitting back together - I would just bing it together - you have nothing to lose. I will have a search and see if I can find any info.
Kindest Regards - BORASIC LINT (11/21/2007)

By Borasic Lint

Can This Split Tree Be Saved?

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/treatment_construction.aspx

This might be of help. (11/21/2007)

By Borasic Lint

Can This Split Tree Be Saved?

Just suggestions:
At some level above the split, wrap a ratchet type belt clamp around the tree and commence tightening to partially close the split. Inject construction adhesive into the split to seal it from rot. (It should be totally filled with adhesive.) Drill perhaps three evenly spaced holes through the tree with the top hole at the top of the split. Insert all thread of appropriate length and diameter through the holes so that large washers and nuts can be placed on both ends. Tighten the assembly, commencing at the bottom but assisting with the ratchet clamp. The split should seal snuggly and be held together with the all thread bolts. Remove any excess adhesive that seeps from the split. Eventually the tree should heal over the split and in time (years) become solid. The bolt ends too will eventually be overgrown with new wood. (04/16/2008)

By art

Can This Split Tree Be Saved?
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Banana Split
Making a Banana Split
🎉
🎄