Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I have loads of those plug in air fresheners and I have been trying to find ways of refilling them with my own scents. I have tried using water, oil and water mix, oil, scented perfumes, etc. and none of them seem to work. Has anyone found a way of re-filling these with their own scents?

Thanks
Margaret from Swansea, UK

Answers:

How to Refill Your Plug-in Air Freshener Refills

You can easily reuse any kind of refills that previously had scented oil in it. Use only essential oils (purchased from aromatherapy shops) and avoid preparing your own scents unless you
know and tested the composition (not recommended). Essential oils contain highly volatile compounds: (1) and are used in aromatheraphy in various ways, including electric heat diffusers (2). Regarding the fragrancers, they are safe from fire unless they are not held in proper position (3). It diffuses effectively, when not using essential oils that appear too thick.
From my experience, I can tell you that I reused tens of refills successfully, and they smelled just like new. Depending of what brand and type of electric fragrancer you have,
I can teach you something:

• for Ambi Pur scented oil (and Evolution), simply remove the white plastic lid that connects to the bottle. With it, you will also remove the fragrance filter.
    Use a clean syringe or put essential oil directly from source into the bottle.
    Put the lid back.

• for Glade scented oil (Wisp and others), there is a little problem, but we'll pass it.
    Glade has assured their refills with an additional membrane covering. We'll need to heat the thin needle point of a syringe with a lighter, until it gets red. Quickly pierce the additional membrane in the deeper part until your needle reaches the interior of the bottle. It must be somehow parallel to the fragrance filter. Load some essential oil into your syringe, and using the previously made hole, fill the bottle. That's it. Never use any electric fragrancer with refills held upside down.
    (available for all refills)

• for any other brand of refills, associate it with the two described above.
  1. and other compounds: http://www.nature-helps.com/infopage/engels/component.htm
  2. http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/diffu.asp
  3. The electric diffuser is produced in such a way that the electrical outlet does not to have any contact with the oil vapors. The fragrance filter is heated with temperatures supportable to human touch.
(12/26/2007)

By scentrefill

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I was looking this subject up merely to find some recipes, but I have been to this site frequently and love it, so I thought that I would share that I have refilled the Glade Plug-In (with night light) myself, safely. No fires. No bad or odd smells. Just pure essential oil (8 drops total) and the rest filled with extra virgin olive oil. It smells fantastic. I was even able to pop off the white top with a butter knife, though I would be careful to that end. It is easy to crack the top, rendering it useless. (01/24/2008)

By Pursuer

Plugged in air freshener
Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
🎄