Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Just stumbled onto the site: wonderful. I spilled pink candle wax on my hardwood floor. The floors had been redone by pro about 2 years ago. Candle wax is not on top, I tried to scrape most of it. Outside of removing 3 layers of finish, any other suggestions? Only about 4" long, 1" wide. Thanks,

Sue

Answers:

Wax on Hardwood Floors and Walls

Use a hairdryer and nylon pan scraper. Also, Goo-gone, available at Home Depots. (03/17/2005)

By annielou

Wax on Hardwood Floors and Walls

Place brown paper over the melted wax and iron with a preheated iron (on low). The wax will melt and stick to the paper. Keep rearranging the paper and ironing until it's all come up. Don't leave the iron on the paper too long. (03/17/2005)

By Cathy

Wax on Hardwood Floors and Walls

I use Zippo lighter fluid or any lighter fluid that is on sale. Scrape off the wax, then put a little lighter fluid on a paper napkin and wipe off the wax residue that is left. It will not harm the surface of the wall (even wallpapered walls) or floor. I have used this for years at home and in the classroom. Candles like to drip on furniture and Children like to color on everything. (It takes crayon marks off blackboards, walls, computers, wood floors, and toys.) (03/18/2005)

By Irma_Lorraine

Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Freezing it with an Ice Cube might make it come off easier. (06/11/2005)

By Chevygirl

Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

I just saw this on Haley's Hints on the PBS station! Use your hair dryer to soften the wax and then you can easily take it off with a paper towel. (06/11/2005)

By Peggy

Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

I think a wore of caution on removing candle wax with any chemicals and heat could result in damage to sealer on hard wood floors. You might want to try on a spot that would be out of view first. Most chemicals and heat could cause your varnish to cloud or could remove the coating all together. Nothing was mentioned if the spot was in an open area where it would be seen if the procedure didn't work. I've used goo gone to remove paint a renter splattered on new varnished wood work and it took the varnish off-not a big deal because I did the staining and varnishing in the first place so a touch up with the original varnish was possible. Also I have used a heat gun to remove paint and varnish and like an iron the heat could chemically alter your varnish-dry it out and cause it to peel or buckle. I think before I'd try anything I'd ask the professional who did the finishing for any advice. (06/11/2005)

By little brown eyes

Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Mineral spirits will remove wax from wood but will not harm any floor finish. I'm a pro wood floor sander\finisher\refinisher 13 years. Spirits can be used to remove wax build up from wood floors if you use murphys or flax soap on your floors (07/05/2005)

By Steve

Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

I had a red candle drip all over a mahogany mantle, wall, and my hardwood floor. Tried the rubber spatula and Goo Gone. It worked like a champ! (12/11/2006)

By Karen