Recipes Using Canned Salmon

Canned salmon is the main ingredient in many delicious and easy to prepare recipes. This page contains recipes using canned salmon.

August 18, 2013 Flag

canned salmon

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This page contains salmon squares recipes. A favorite seafood of many that can be used in a variety of delicious recipes.

October 2, 2012 Flag

Salmon Patty on a Plate

This page contains salmon patty recipes. You can enjoy scrumptious salmon patties without going to an expensive seafood restaurant.

April 23, 2012 Flag

Salmon Loaf

This page contains salmon loaf recipes. An economical way to enjoy the great taste of salmon is to make a loaf.

February 10, 2009 Flag

Ingredients

• 8 oz. uncooked noodles
  • 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
  • 1 1 /2 cups sour cream
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • dash red pepper sauce or cayenne red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 can salmon, drained (16oz.) or 2 cans tuna, drained
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Cook noodles as directred on package; drain. Mix noodles, cottage cheese, sour cream, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper sauce, salt and salmon. Place about 1 cup salmon mixture in each of 5-6 baking sheets (greased), or individual casseroles. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes. This could be baked in a greased 2 qt. casserole dish. Bake 40 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I didn't understand the '5-6 baking sheets' in this recipe. Could you explain?

I do enjoy Robin's recipes. Simple directions and simple preparation. Thanks.

Editor's Note: Robin is referring to one baking container per cup of romananoff.

October 2, 2008 Flag

Ingredients

• 1 can (1lb.) salmon
  • 1 Tbsp. instant minced onion
  • 1 tsp. parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
  • 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 cup milk and salmon liquid
  • 1 1/2 cup medium coarse cracker crumbs (about 30 soda crackers)
  • 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions

Drain liquid from salmon into measuring cup. Set aside to use as part of liquid. Turn salmon into bowl and flake. Add minced onion, seasonings, milk and reserved salmon liquid. Mix lightly. Set aside. Sprinkle a layer of medium coarse cracker crumbs in bottom and around sides of buttered 9 inch pie plate. Spoon in salmon mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter. Bake in preheated moderate oven (400 degrees F) 10-15 minutes or until crackers have browned.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2006 Flag

Not wanting my occasionally bored grandson to trade outside playing time with his friends for too much inside cooking-coaching, and being both limited in food choices/ideas for children who don't like canned salmon. I began to search my brain for an idea that might solve the number of problems this presents and provide an interesting project for a boy in his grandmother's kitchen. I challenged him to come up with a new idea for preparing this meat. He liked and took the challenge, "creating" a tasty and VERY acceptable new dish which I'll bet other boys/girls will like (all measurements are approximate.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Grease and salt glass pie plate.

Starting with 2 hand beaten eggs,

Add:

• 1 tsp. dill weed,
  • 1/2 tsp. salt/pepper
  • 1/8 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/8 cup chopped garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder

Pinch into fingernail sized pieces and add:

• 1 hamburger bun, mix well until blended.

Add:

• 1 can Alaskan Pink Salmon (minus skin/soft bones if desired)

Flake/break into pieces, mix with above in medium/large bowl. Form child-sized palm-fuls of the ingredients mixed together, into medium cone shapes, then roll lightly in bowl of 1/2 cup salt and peppered cornmeal.

Make the finished meat-cones "volcano-shaped" with a thumb-indented shallow hole in top of each for a "caldron", bottom flattened and placed on the greased/salted pie plate.

Bake at 350 degrees F, topping with 1-2 Tbsp. salsa, heated in microwave slightly, poured into the "caldron" hole, erupting over edges of meat-cone.

Optional: Spray lightly with spray Mesquite flavoring before baking for a "smoked "salmon taste. We have named this cooking time together/recipe, "Salcano Duo"

This recipe makes about 10 medium small meat-cones. He ate several and smacked a lot since he LOVES salsa, never complaining about the salmon flavor, well hidden and "smoldering" inside. We froze the rest in individual ziplock freezer bags, without the salsa, for other frugal meals.

Great protein meal/snack for active bodies! Great togetherness for those rare and cherished moments with children that turn out well, especially at this time of the year.

By Lynda from TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2007 Flag

I'm needing recipes using canned salmon. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Terri from NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i love to make salmon scramble. 1 can of salmon, 2 or 3 eggs depending on what you like. old bay seasoning again to taste. saute a pepper and an onion and a celery stalk and add the debonded salmon and the eggs. swish it all around. ummm it is so good. you can also put it in over a bit and get it all hot.

Just debone and get out the silvery skin and to a regular can of salmon add an egg, small onion, minced and a bit of minced celery with enough crushed saltines to bind...I would say 8 or 10. Fry carefully to a golden brown. Serve with a simple tartar sauce of mayonaise, minced onion and a little pickle relish. We usually have boiled potaotes with parsley or chive butter and a green salad. One of our favorite meals ever!!

Salmon Stew

Serving Size: 8 to 10

Preparation Time: about 30 minutes

8 average sized potatoes

1 large onion

1/4 cup of butter

1 Tbs. salt

pepper to taste

2 cans of salmon (cleaned)

1 can evaporated milk (Pet brand)

1 cup ketchup (optional)

Tabasco sauce to taste (optional)

Fat free saltines or oyster crackers

Preparation:

Peel and dice potatoes and onions. In 8 quart pot fill to half with water add salt, pepper, butter, potatoes and onions. Boil for about 25 minutes stirring some, turn off heat and add salmon, ketchup, Tabasco and milk last, stirring to blend. Get out your favorite bowl, add crackers and stew, eat.

*Variations:

~my mom lightly sauteed the salmon & chopped onion in a bit of butter before adding them to the stew pot.

~you can omit the ketchup & tabasco entirely, and the potatoes too if you like. personally, i prefer it without the ketchup.

I have used boxed stuffing mix (chicken or turkey, not cornbread) with an egg and warm water - the amount called for on the box, to mix with my canned sallmon patties. My family loves them and we even eat the leftovers for breakfast the next day. By the way, my mom told me not to remove the bones. Just crush them and mix in with the above recipe for added calcium in the diet.

Here is an easier one if you have a computer go to the website allrecipes.com and put in salmon patties and it will give you a bunch even ones that say use can or bagged salmon. Good Luck!

April 22, 2007 Flag

Anyone have recipes for making tasty fish-balls or a fish meal from canned (not fresh) salmon?

Thanks,
YT in London

Answers:

Recipes Using Canned Salmon

My mother makes the most amazing and delicious salmon patties on the planet! She uses canned sockeye, one or two eggs (depending on the size of the can: 2 for a 15 ounce can,) thoroughly chopped parsley and scallions (I love onions, so I probably go overboard,) lemon juice and bread crumbs. She recently started using Japanese bread-crumbs called Panko bread-crumbs, and they are available at Whole Foods Markets, and probably at Asian food stores. I used regular bread crumbs until she sent these Japanese ones to me. Mix everything together and form into patties. Fry in ordinary vegetable oil until they are just barely browned. To finish cooking them, place on cookie sheet and cook in preheated low oven (maybe 300 degrees for a few minutes -- until done. Use toothpick to check.) They are quick, easy and delicious! Use fresh parsley; it makes a huge difference! Bon apetit! (03/18/2005)

By skbeal

Salmon Patties

In medium mixing bowl combine salmon, onion, egg, crackers salt, pepper, and celery. Mix well. Make patties out of salmon and roll in cornmeal. In large frying pan over medium high heat oil for frying. Place salmon patties in oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain well. Serve warm

These are delicious I make them for my family all the time and they love them. (03/18/2005)

By Adele

Salmon Loaf

Flake salmon. Beat eggs and milk together. Combine all ingredients. Place in greased loaf pan and bake 1 hour at 350. (03/18/2005)

By klawrence34

Salmon Cakes

I love making these salmon cakes, I even use the jack mackerel sometimes. But, guess what? I hate the smell of fish in the house. Even tho' i pretty much follow the above suggested recipes, I always put on a pot of homemade potpourri while the fish is cooking to keep out that fishy smell. Use a small pot, add cinnamon, vanilla flavoring, ginger, cut an orange in half, and add some cloves in the water, and just let it simmer. Your house will smell like it's thanksgiving or christmas. And no fishy smell. I even taught my son how to do a fried fish with grits breakfast. Showed him how to do the potpourri while frying the fish. He said it was like taking " home Ec". The only difference, when I was taking Home Ec... They sure didn't teach us that trick. Oh, and when I'm feeling too lazy to stand over the stove and fry the salmon cakes, nothing beats baking them in the oven. Nothing! (03/18/2005)

By PATRICA

Recipes Using Canned Salmon

Al la king -- de-bone and skin canned salmon. Heat in skillet with 2 tablespoons margarine or oil until heated through. Add 1 cup low-fat or skim milk mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and bring liquid to a boil. After one minute, reduce to simmer. Add 2 cups cooked peas or peas & carrots. Salt and pepper to taste. (I add a teaspoon of dill -- optional.)

Serve over toast or rice. Makes 3-4 servings. (03/21/2005)

By gannon

Fish Pie

I invent a lot of meals containing tinned salmon as I love it. One I make a lot is a type of fish pie. There are no proportions as I just throw in what I feel like.

Make a savory sauce with butter, flour, (I use stone-ground whole-meal), and milk and season with vegetable spice powder rather than salt, and ground pepper. Toss in the salmon, I don't bother removing the skin, (very tasty), or bones, (good source of calcium). You can add herbs to taste if you want. Add some sautéed veggies - onions, peas and corn are good, or zucchini, (courgette), cucumber, red capsicums, snow peas, (mange tout) - whatever you fancy.

Place in a deepish dish or it may bubble over when cooking. Top with creamed mashed potato. Make up some sage and onion stuffing with water - but mix it on the dry side - and sprinkle a layer on top. I substitute stuffing mix for bread-crumbs in a lot of recipes - very tasty. The meal is basically already cooked but pop it in a hot oven for 15 minutes to brown/crisp on top.

You can also just use the salmon and veg mixture over noodles, rice or cous cous. I cook for one and make 2 or 3 dishes up at a time then separate them into individual portions and freeze for quick microwave meals. (04/04/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Salmon Patties

My salmon patties are so lazy... equal parts fish (any kind) and spuds. Bind with an egg. Salt and pepper to taste and some flavorings. A little sweet chili sauce and coriander is nice. Or even use parsley. I just throw in different things each time. You can crumb them as well but they are nice plain. I always have them with a nice big green salad. (04/20/2005)

By Sonya_82

Salmon Pie

I like salmon patties, but when I moved to the UP I learned a new recipe. Salmon Pie: Just take a pie shell or make your own pie crust. First you need to boil some potatoes till they are soft. Drain the potatoes then mash them just a little not all the way so there is some pieces, add some onion, salt and pepper, and some drained canned salmon. Mix it together put it in the pie shell put pie crust on the top with some slits in it so the heat can escape. Bake till the pie crust is done. We eat it with catsup on it. It's good and it stretches one can of salmon and the potatoes makes 2 pies... and it's very filling. (03/03/2007)

By crystal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Recipes SeafoodMarch 14, 2014
Salmon Loaf
Salmon Loaf Recipes
canned salmon
Salmon Squares Recipes
Smoked Salmon on Toast
Smoked Salmon Recipes
Salmon Patty on a Plate
Salmon Patty Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 6:24:04 PM on 10.0.0.119 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.