Canning Fresh Salsa

I have a recipe for fresh salsa. Can I seal it up in canning jars without cooking the tomatoes beforehand or does it have to be cooked?

Thanks.
Wendy 23

Answers:

Canning Fresh Salsa

If you want the jar with fresh salsa with uncooked tomatoes in it, it must be refrigerated and will stay good for a few days.

Sealing the jar will require heating the salsa (I simmer mine in a big pot on the stove for a hour to an hour and a half) and packing the hot salsa into a hot jar and placing a lid on it. This will seal the salsa and you will then be able to place this sealed jar on your pantry shelf.

Raw tomatoes in a salsa, left uncooked and in a jar on the shelf in the pantry will spoil and you will end up throwing it out. (09/01/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Canning Fresh Salsa

I think canning fresh salsa defeats the whole purpose of making fresh salsa. If I want cooked salsa, there are many good ones in the grocery store. Right now is tomato season and I am making fresh salsa by the gallon. We are enjoying all we can eat freshly made.

I take leftovers each time I am ready to make a new batch, spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze. Empty each ice cube try into a sandwich size Ziplock. Expel as much air as possible and seal. Place as many packages as will fit into a gallon size Ziplock labeled "Fresh Salsa" and return to your freezer. You will be able to enjoy fresh salsa all winter. Just remove one small bag, empty into a container, thaw, and enjoy.

Harlean from Arkansas (09/02/2005)

By Harlean from AR

Canning Fresh Salsa

You have to pressure can salsa, you cannot simply put the hot salsa into the can and go. (08/02/2008)

By T

Canning Fresh Salsa

Tomato is acidic so you can use a water bath to can them. They will always taste like fresh salsa. Homemade is always fresher. (06/11/2009)

By Cheecky

Jars of Freshly Canned Salsa
Canning Tomato Salsa
Bowl of salsa surrounded by tomatoes.
Mild Salsa Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
Fruit Salsa Recipes
Fruit Salsa Recipes
A jar of homemade salsa.
Freezing Salsa
🎉
🎄