Canning Your Leftover Soup

Do you have the proper method for canning leftover soups?

Carolyn from Hampstead, NC

Answers:

Canning Your Leftover Soup

Putting your soups in fruit jars and leaving a ample space in the neck area , then you can go ahead and freeze . It's cheaper than using freezer bags. Saving cottage cheese containers and re-using them for freezing is cost effective too. The ideas on canning is great, as it's so easy to just open , pour into a bowl and heat in the microwave. (09/10/2007)

By czechlady

Canning Your Leftover Soup

Definitely don't can soup without properly sealing it. You could get sick with botulism! Canning is relatively easy. Just make sure to sterilize your jars, get some inexpensive canning lids from the store, and heat them in hot (but not boiling) water on the stove. Fill up the jars, leaving enough head space, then put the canning lids on with rings. I would put them in either a canner, or a pot large enough to have at least an inch or two of water above the bottles when placed in the boiling water. Boil the jars for about 10 minutes. Good luck! (09/10/2007)

By thriftymomof2

Canning Your Leftover Soup

I can my home made soups all the time, I put them in sterized jars up to one inch from top, then I can them in a water bath canner for 25 minutes. ( canner has a tray in bottom ) and make sure you cover jars with water . when done lift out of canner and cool completely (09/10/2007)

By WRogers52

Canning Your Leftover Soup

According to the Ball Blue Book all soups they listed (some w/ meat, some without), must be processed in a pressure cooker at 10 pounds for up to 1.5 hours. Water bath canning isn't enough to kill all the bacteria etc. that could not only make you sick, but actually cause death. Lids sealing doesn't necessarily indicate a safe canned product. Canning guidelines are safety issues. Please visit w/ your Extension Office and/or check a Ball Blue Book to be safe. (09/12/2007)

By

Canning Your Leftover Soup

I would definitely only pressure can homemade soup. Canning in a water bath canner is not sufficient enough to kill all the bacteria especially if you use any root vegetables like carrots, onions or garlic. Do check with your county extension agent or google home canning on the web. It is best to be safe than sick. (09/14/2007)

By viki

Canning Your Leftover Soup

Hello, I am completely new to canning and from reading the above it sounds as if there are mixed opinions on how to properly can soups. I had thought about freezing the soups but I have an old fashioned fridge with a tiny little freezer. What would be the best way for canning soups w/o poisoning myself? Thanks (06/01/2008)

By Felecia

Canning Homemade Soup
Canning Homemade Soup
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Mason jar of canned soup
Why Did the Lids Pop on My Canned Soup?
Several jars of processed soups with lids covered in decorative burlap
Canning Soups Without a Pressure Canner
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
🎉
🎄