Canning and Preserving Pears - Recipes

I'm trying to find recipes for canning and preserving pears. My Mom had several recipes that I loved as a kid, but unfortunately she's gone now and no-one seems to know what happened to all her canning recipes.

The ones I'm really interested in are as follows;

Pear Relish (sweet): better than any sweet pickle relish I've ever tasted.

Pear Butter: just like apple butter, but with a very unique and delicious flavor.

Mom also had a way canning pears in their natural juices just like you'd buy in the store. My attempts do duplicate her method have all failed miserably.

Thank You and God Bless.

Magicsmom from Tn

Answers:

Canning and Preserving Pears - Recipes

I have a pear tree that is loaded every year. This past year I would peel, core, and slice. Cook for a short time and add cinnamon candies (red hots), stir until dissolved. The red hots make it a pretty pink and has good flavor. This is good to eat right away or freeze in containers. (03/28/2005)

Canning and Preserving Pears - Recipes

Preserving fruit:

For preserving fruit, one of my favorite ways is to have a fruit and syrup. That preserves the look of the fruit and its nature and color and its shape, sometimes way better than a jelly or a marmalade in terms of having something unique and special. So we're going now to prepare the syrup.

We have two basic kinds of sugar that we can use for making a syrup. You can use white sugar, you can use brown sugar. You will choose either one depending on whether what you care about is looks or if you care about flavor. White sugar will give you the perfect shape and look of your fruit and so on and it will look wonderful in the jar and it will be very, very good. But if you really care about the flavor and you don't care so much that the jar looks a little bit dark, then you will go for dark sugar.

For this instance, we will use white sugar. And basically the mix will be about one cup of sugar for every two cups of water. And you will want to make enough syrup to fill completely the canning jars that you are using so you'll want to prepare a lot.

The most common condiments for fruits will be cinnamon and most people enjoy having a dash of cloves. Be careful with cloves though, it can be too strong for many people.

(06/26/2006)

By Eric

Canning and Preserving Pears - Recipes

Pear Butter

Wash pears. Do not peel. Slice. Add small amount water to start cooking. Cook until very soft. Press thru sieve. To each cup of pulp add 1/2 c. sugar and spices as desired, such as 1/2 tsp cinnamon to each 3 c. pulp. Cook until thick, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Pour into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

This is pretty bland for me so I use the same recipe as I do for apple butter.

• 16 cups thick pulp
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 8 cups sugar
  • 4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves

Core and slice apples, but do not peel. Cook in very small amount water until soft. Run through sieve. Process same as above. My family is addicted to this apple butter and the pear is just as good. (08/22/2008)

By Joy

Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Growing Quince, Canning Quince, Freezing Quince, Peeling Quince, Storing Quince. Selecting Good Quince. Holding Out a Ripe Quince
Canning Quince
Freezing Artichokes, Storing Artichokes, Canning Artichokes
Canning Artichokes
Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets
Canning Beets
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
🎄
🍂