Can't Locate the Source of a Terrible Smell In My Home

Is there a company who can use a dog or some device to find the source of the odor? I have the same problem as Ann on Aug 2005, we have searched an paid for vent cleaning and checked all the things in the article and its responders.

Jackie from Fredericksburg, VA

Answers:

I had a cat die under some steps outside the back of my house. It made my basement and dining room stink badly and there was nothing we could find inside the house.

So look outside too.

If it's in shrubbery or whatever, then the wind outside could be keeping the smell down while out there. If you get close (downwind) then you'll likely find it, if it's to be found.

(08/30/2006)

By Qryztufre

The sewer should be vented through the roof. Sometimes birds build nests in them or for some reason this gets plugged. A crawl onto the roof with a small stone in an onion bag or something similar should be dropped down on a string (so it can be retrieved).
This will tell you if it is open. (08/30/2006)

By siris

Have a skunk smell coming from inside our house have looked around and found nothing, can't smell a thing outside of the house any suggestions?

Editor's Note: If you have a crawl space, they may have sprayed down there. (11/15/2007)

By Tom

If you live in an older home, you may have a catch basin outside your home. If so, it needs to be "rodded" or cleaned out every few years or that smell (or worse, the sewage itself) will back up into your home. This is especially true if you have a tree in your front yard. Roots can grow in the sewer lines and clog it up.

Look in the yellow pages under "sewer" or "catch basin" or just ask you plumber for a recommendation. It costs about $150-200 to rod and $150-200 to clean out the catch basin. In the meantime, pour a half-bottle of Pine Sol and a couple of buckets of water down that basement drain and it will smell much better temporarily. (02/01/2009)

By Carrie

Can't Locate the Source of a Terrible Smell in My Home
A woman holding her nose.
Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House
Beautiful Flower Beds
Finding Free Flower Seeds
Refrigerator's Ice Maker
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄