Caring For Baby Fish

My fish just had babies. I don't remember what kind of fish it is, but I think it's a type of guppy. There are about 10-15 tiny babies swimming around my tank and I have 2 other fish in this tank. It is a 10 gallon tank. How should I care for them? I am kind of worried about the other fish eating them. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Aimee

Answers:

Caring For Baby Fish

First you need to either mover the big fish to a different tank or the babies. You need to buy fish food for baby fish. You can find the special food at any pet store. Make sure the baby fish have things like plants, or ceramic castles and to hide in. If you plan on keeping the babies you're going to need a bigger tank. If not you need to get rid of the baby fish because 10-15 fish need more room then a 10 gallon tank. Good Luck ! (10/06/2004)

By Smilez28

Caring For Baby Fish

My name is Robert and I am 13 years old. One of my fish just gave birth, I don't know what kind she is but she had six babies. I have put my babies in a cradle so they don't get eaten, maybe you should try this? They are available from all pet shops. I don't know what type of food to buy can anyone help me with this? Good luck and I hope your babies survive! (03/10/2005)

By Robert

Caring For Baby Fish

Hey I'm with you. My goldfish just laid eggs and 1 hatched. All I did was get a 5 gallon tank. I already had a 2.5 gallon tank. I left the eggs in the 2.5 gal. tank and put the older fish in the new tank. Just feed them crushed fish flakes I'm hoping mine will be OK. You can listen to me or not, because I'm a beginner too, but this is their 2nd batch of eggs. I hope it works for you too. (10/24/2006)

By Sydney

Caring For Baby Fish

You don't need to remove baby fish from the main tank. From my experience, the babies aren't stupid. They will hide from the larger fish. All you need to do is make crevices in your gravel. Buy larger, polished rocks and place these, covering 85-90% of the designated crevice. Make sure the gap that is uncovered is large enough for the fry to swim under. As these fry hide they will wait for falling food to get close enough to their position and will snap out and grab a bite and return to their hiding place. The only way this will work is if you crush the food in a plastic bag or buy actual baby fish food. So I hope I helped! (02/15/2007)

By Brian

I have about 4 to 8 baby fish, the other fish keep trying to eat them. I have a 25 gallon tank. If anyone who sees this knows what to do, Help! Please.

Editor's Note: You need to either move the babies to a separate tank or get a divider for your original tank. Go to your local pet store and they should be able to help you. Good luck.

(06/16/2008)

Adult and juvenile guppy with aquatic plants against black background
Caring for a Baby Fish
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄