Caring For Baby Fish

I have a 29 gallon tank and have fresh water fish. I am not sure what kind of fish I have but I think they are tetras. One died so now I have 6 baby fish and one older one. I don't know if it is the mother. I have had these fish for three weeks my question is what should I do now?

James

Answers:

Caring For Baby Fish

6 baby tetras in the tank? How cute. They will be fine without the mother just continue to feed as normal, pinch food into small flakes if you want. Once a baby fish is born it no longer needs a parent. The only danger is older faster fish that could eat the fry (even mother). So I would wait until they get older before you buy more. Good luck. (03/07/2009)

By Starchild in VT

Caring For Baby Fish

First grind the food really small. Then go get a filter sponge to put over the tube of your power filter (if you have a power filter). This will keep them from being sucked up. They grow fast. And they don't need their mom. (03/07/2009)

By chammich

Caring For Baby Fish

As a breeder I can tell you this. No matter what type or just how big your fish tank is it'll never be big enough to keep all of the little guys based on the 1" per gallon rule. Know your fish and just how big they will be as adults then do the math. Example 10 x 3" fish would need a 30+ gallon tank to support them. Now remember that most females can continue to give birth even without a male in the tank once she does. Also babies mature rather quickly and can also become parents within 4 months on their own. Ask your local pet shop if they would take some of your babies or even trade from them for items you may use, but always keep a few babies where you could create your own eco-system and never ever buy another fish of the type you are raising ever again. Good luck all! (02/09/2010)

By GoFish

Adult and juvenile guppy with aquatic plants against black background
Caring for a Baby Fish
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄