Caring For Pet Guinea Pigs

A tan and white guinea pig.
Native to South America, these lively rodents are a fun pets. This guide is about caring for pet guinea pigs.

With buying guinea pig food, hay, bedding, etc., my family and I are always looking for ways to save money. I discovered the use of fleece for bedding while browsing on YouTube. It saves you money, plus you can get really cute fleece that will look great in your cage.

Here's how to use it.

1. Make sure to lay a towel down underneath for more absorption, to avoid urine stains on the cage.

2. Get a hand dust pan and broom, and sweep the fleece daily.

3. Wash fleece once a week. Do not use fabric softener, it affects absorption. Give give the cage a thorough cleaning.

4. Enjoy your big savings!

Source: YouTube

This is LuLu, in her cylinder. I recycled an oatmeal canister for my guinea pig because they like to go into and hide in little hidey holes. I have seen them at pet stores and they are just cardboard cylinders. I go through four or five of these every week.

I had just put it in the cage a couple of hours earlier. I go by the cage in the laundry room all the time, and I could not locate her in the huge bunny cage. I looked in the cylinder and there she was, resting and having a good time in her hidey hole.

I will put some more pics of her so you can see her beautiful face!

I have found a great use for my shredder. My 8 year old daughter has a hamster and a guinea pig. It was getting expensive to buy various items to use as cage litter. I had always lined the cages with newspaper and then put the litter on top. I still line them with newspaper, but now I use shredded newspaper, ads, and junk mail. I've been using this for almost a year with no ill effects to the animals.

By Nancy

Caterine Forman0 found this helpful

Like ferrets, guinea pigs are happier in groups. But choose your guinea pigs carefully! More than two males together may result in some fighting. Two females together are usually safe... and if you're housing one of each, watch out for baby piggies!

You may think a guinea pig will be an "easy" pet because it is small, but small pets need just as much care as big pets!

Make sure your guinea pig cage provides ample room for moving around. The bigger the cage, the more active your guinea pigs will be! The cage should be at least 18 inches wide and 25 inches deep. The cage floor will need to be lined, because their feet are very tender and wire can be painful. Line the cage with ink-free paper or buy commercial nesting material at your local pet store. The lining material will be bedding, bathroom, and occasional snack.

Did you know that guinea pigs' teeth are constantly growing? They will chew on anything and everything to keep their teeth worn down to a manageable length. Everything in the cage must be nontoxic.

Offer plenty of hay for nesting and nibbling. Your guinea pig will also need a branch to gnaw on -- try an untreated fruit tree branch.

Despite their small size, guinea pigs will need a lot of help with cleaning. Though they groom themselves frequently, your guinea pig may need frequent brushing -- especially if you picked a long-haired breed. And because their cage lining is both bedding and bathroom, you will need to change the litter frequently.

Make sure your guinea pig has access to water at all times. A water bottle with a sipper tube will attach nicely to the cage, but be sure to clean the bottle and tube daily to prevent the growth of bacteria. Food and water bowls should be heavy enough to resist tipping. And make sure your guinea pig gets a lot of fresh veggies in her diet -- kale and cabbage are rich in Vitamin C. She may also like an occasional slice of melon or apple. Just be sure to remove the seeds first!

Last but not least, your guinea pig home needs some entertainment! They may like platforms to climb on or tunnels to crawl through.

Small bugs, like gnats, can be an irritation to you and your pets. This is a guide about dealing with gnats around guinea pigs.

A cute guinea pig in a cage.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The guinea pig is believed to have been domesticated around 5000 BC. These cute, social rodents make good pets. This page contains guinea pig photos.

A guinea pig eating a leaf.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

With patience and gentleness most guinea pigs will enjoy being held. They do however, have more trepidation about being picked up. This is a guide about getting a guinea pig used to people.

A cute guinea pig being held.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

According to some pet owners, guinea pigs can be easily trained to use a specific spot as their toilet. Similarly, litterbox training is also possible. This is a guide about litter box training a guinea pig.

A guinea pig in its cage.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Just like people animals often mourn the death of a companion both human and animal. This is a guide about guinea pig not well after casemate died.

A boy cuddling with a sad guinea pig.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you feed your guinea pig beets you don't want to give it a lot because then their pee will turn red. Beets are sweet, so they really like them and can eat too many; mine did. So, do give them beets in moderation as well as the beet tops.

I have a guinea pig in a wired, open cage. My guinea pig frequently chews the metal bars and it is rather a nuisance. I was wondering if it was safe for him to chew on that and if it is detrimental if I spray his nose with a spray bottle when he does it to get him to stop.

Thank you,
Michele from Bronx, New York

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I'm sure it's annoying to listen to that all day long, but as opposed to spraying him to stop the behavior, I'd look at what's causing the behavior to begin with. Does he have sufficent play toys, tubes and wheels to run in, and possibly a mate to to keep him entertained? Solitary pets in confinement are often lonely and bored and develop nervous ticks and habits as a way of expressing it. (Bears have been known to swim continuously till exhaustion without proper stimulation when in captivity.) Perhaps a more central location or extra human attention would help also.

Just a suggestion! I know from experience that if an animal's bad habit is caused by the above problems, "punishment" makes it worse, and while they may stop THAT habit, they will quickly develop another...

Good luck!

A guinea pig chews cause it needs to. Their teeth are always growing and they need to chew hard things to wear them down. One of my old pigs teeth started to grow in a circle almost back to the roof of its mouth befor I noticed it. His mouth wouldnt close right, they had to be filed at the vets. He was in a wood sided cage and had no place to chew. Maybe if you put in a large piece of branch or make him a wood house that he can nibble on and hide in too. I know that annoying sound you mean, my guinea now tattles her tip of the water bottle and it goes thump against the cage. Good luck.

I have raised guinea pigs for many years. We even had a mother /daughter set that lived to be 10 and 9 1/2 yrs old.what mant people do not realize is that guinea pigs have two sets of teeth both which grow constantly, they need to chew all the time so that the teeth do not grow into each other causing the pigs to not be able to eat. They are not chewing to be annoying, they need to hone their teeth down. giving them chunks of wood to chew on..placing a brick in their cages,and giving them hard foods like carrots all help somewhat..Always make sure they have something hard to chew on, and do not feed them things like iceberg lettuce which is nothing more than feeding them water...it has no nutritive value.Also adding liquid vitamin C to their drinking water helps keep them healthy. I hope this is somewhat of a help to you

Your guinea pig needs a nice chunk or branch of

fruit wood (never wood which has been treated) so

that he can keep his teeth worn down enough to

continue eating. The teeth never stop growing, and

if they are not worn down, they will actually cause

your pet to starve to death.

If you find this is not the case, then he just needs

more attention, something or someone to play with and maybe a wheel for exercising as well as some

nice interesting toys. They have feelings too.

Good luck.

Julia in Orlando, FL

My two guinea pigs chew on their cage alot. Should I do something about this?

Hi people, i have had my guinea pig for 2 years and although he plays with my little dog, he still seems very lonely. Do any of you know what i could put in his cage to cheer him up, because sometimes he looks so fed up and i feel pity for him. i do let him out, but he makes so much mess, as you can imaging. I dont know if he will go in a wheel, to be honest he probably wouldent know what to do with it.

Any suggestions???

im planning on getting a guinea pig can anyone help me!

I actually let my guinea pig chew on doggie treats and he loves them that's how he wares down his teeth. I also use hard toys that he chews on.

i have six guinaepigs i love them well we starded with one and she was nice but i felt that she was lonely so we fond some guinaeapigs for sale and they said it was a girl so we got it and put it with the other guineapig and about three weeks later we sow that she was very big and about two mounths she had three babys and so we was not hopeing for some guineapigs and we don't know that a hour she could try to have anther liter so before that we don't put them in different cages so we gave two a way and keped one and she had some more about two mounth later and she had six babys and one was dead at borth and two died some days later but we love the ones we got we love them so much thay are part of the family

When you have a male and female guinea pig and she is going to have babies, do you have to remove the male from the cage? Or will he not eat his young?

CarrieLeeann from Kansas City, MO

Answers

yes u have to remove the male pig

You will definitely want to take the male out. This isn't so much for the safety of the babies as for their welfare. The male and female may be agressive to one another with baby pigs around and it will just add a lot of stress and danger to their environment. Everyone will be happier if you keep them seperated.

YES! and do not touch the babies for 2 weeks. remove from mom at 1 month or you will get more babies. also if you put the male back just know that the female can get pregnant at just 1 hour after giving birth. and the babies can start to get pregnant after 2 months. i use to breed them so if you need to know anything more write me at tlcdsfit AT yahoo.com i am a bird, rodent and reptile expert and i run a rescue for them too. darcey

I have one male guinea pig, and i am planning on getting another male one. I am woried if i put the other male one in the cage they will fight. What do u think I should do?

My family has 3 guinea pigs, well, that was until one of them had three babies. I know which one had the babies, but now another guinea pig had two babies and I don't know which ones the mother. I separated the babies from the two but I don't know if the babies will die without their mother. How can I find out which one is the mother and how do I save the two babies?

I need help with my 2 adopted guinea pigs. First of all, I know nothing about them.

They are both very shy, will this get better? Also, I put their cages in my daughters room, and they were just cleaned, but they smell. It's not an offensive smell, but not very good either. Would Marshall's By-Odor be good to take care of this? Is it safe for the pigs? I want to litter train them, any tips ? Lastly, when I bring them out of their cage to roam around, they never move from the spot that I put them in. Is this because they are not used to being out of their cage? They were owned by two boys that brought them to Petco to be adopted because the boys wanted lizards instead of the pigs. Any help would be greatly appreciated !! Thanks!

Sherri from Parsonsfield, ME

I have some links I hope are helpful to you. I too have a new guinea pig. I've had her about 2 weeks now. I have found out everything I know from these sites..

http://www.geocities.com/gpigluv/

http://www.didd  care-housing.htm

http://www.exot  s/guineapig1.htm

I am not a Guinea pig owner so this is just from knowing a few. Guinea pigs I've known like to have a place to hide. It is normal for them to look for a place to burrow, especially if they are feeling insecure. A friend of mine had one that liked to hide in the wood pile. That's just how they are. Anytime they are out in the open, they will not feel safe so it might be a natural thing for them to freeze. Try to find places where they can feel protected.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I had six guinea pigs. They were fun wonderful pets. First you should know that they tend to be cautious by nature. You cannot litter train a guinea pig. They will go wherever they are whenever they have to go, and that includes in their food dish (I know, yuck.)

Using cedar chips will help with the odor, but they have to be changed no less than once a week.

They need lots of fresh fruit and vegetables (they are vegetarians) and something to chew on all of the time, or they will chew on your wires, your shoes, your furniture, etc. Fruit tree branches are excellent if you have any available. And don't forget to check the water bottle every time you refill it to be sure those little balls in the sipper tube are working properly. They can get stuck and your little ones won't be able to get any water.

The rest is a lot of common sense and figuring out as you go what they like and don't like. Have fun! If you want more information, just let me know.

Since you got your Guinea pigs from Petco I would go there and ask questions,lots of them. Since they have guinea pigs they must understand what they need to be healthy.

OK first, NO CEDAR chips. The resins from cedar is toxic to ALL animals. Use pine shavings or the newer paper based littler. Orange juice in water bottle once a week. G Pigs need the vitamin C. Veggies along with pellets and hay. Do not let them jump off of any height. Keep nails trimmed, feet clean. NO BATHS ever, no drafts. They are prone to respritory problems. They squeak and 'purr', squeal too. Nice little pets. Average life expectancy, 5 years. Be gentle and loving and they will love you back. Males can be neutered. Check the sexes, make sure you have the same sex of both or seperate them. Unless you want babies. Val

I have read my guinea pig handbook a few times and I now have two sweet female guinea pigs (or cavy sows). Mine were shy as well for a bit but I discovered that if you spend a lot of time with your Cavy, even just sitting on the couch watching TV with them resting on your chest petting them and speaking gently, they develop trust in you.

When they make a low purring noise and vibrate a little don't be afraid! This is a good thing. Stop petting after a few and let the roam at arms length (just in case they try to jump!) They should sniff the air and hopefully make little chutting noises. If the get scared they usually run back to you and cuddle up.

Some Cavys will never litter box train but you can try! Get a special Cavy litter box and fill it with bedding (NOT KITTY LITTER!) put some of their waste in and hopefully they get the hint. PLEASE don't punish them in any way if they are unable to train! Again, some never will. Don't freak if you see them tasting their poo, its normal and necessary for nutrition and health. Strange but true!

As for the smell, well thats their urine! They have the ability to concentrate it into a thick and creamy substance thats 2xs the smell! Try putting newspaper under the bedding to avoid crusty urine deposits on the pan. Don't forget to clean their cage AT LEAST once a week! Also the sipper tubes should be cleaned and refilled everyday, not just when empty. Bacteria can grow and cause illness otherwise. Check to see if the ball is working (with a clean finger) often.

I know that's a lot of stuff to remember but soon it will be routine. Buy a copy of The Guinea Pig Handbook by Sharon L. Vanderlip, D.V.M from your local pet store =] Hope this helped!

I have got my piggie in a large cage. When I try to touch him he hides in one corner and makes noises; is that normal? Also he makes noise when I touch his rump should I be concern about that?

By Danielis

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My guinea pig bites me. Any ideas why?

Victoria from Wales

I bought two Guinea pigs and they are "so" scared of me. They hide whenever they hear footsteps and they barely eat. How can I get them to warm up to me? Help.

By yayforcats from Duncansville, PA

Is it possible to train Guinea Pigs to poop in one part of cage?

My guinea pig keeps biting my shirt and doesn't let go when I go to put him in his cage. He has a brother that fights with him sometimes and they're the same age as each other. Why would he do that?

I have a bin cage which is connected to my old hamster cage. I wanted to ask if during the day can I keep the cage door open so he can get out of it and roam in my room and at night close the door of the cage so he can sleep. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

I just recently have become the mini guinea rescue in my town. I somehow became the lucky owner of 7 piggies, 4 males and 3 females. I'm trying to figure out the best way to house them using the grid cages. I am not sure of their ages and really would like to let them all "see" each other, but would prefer to separate the girls and boys that people have already had paired. I am trying to avoid fighting and babies and cages taking up too much room. Please help.

By Kelly

I just got a Guinea pig, my first one ever. I have noticed that he likes to stay in one corner of his cage, he also uses the bathroom in this same corner, is this normal? I'm worried he's going to get sick from being in his own waste? I clean that area more than once a day, but why is he sitting in his own pee like nothing's wrong?

By Ashley

About a week ago we got two Abyssinian guinea pigs, who are about 3yrs old. I would like to know what kind of fruits and veggies can I give them?

By luciere100

I just got two guinea pigs yesterday and I want to know how long I should wait before holding them.

By Lulu

How long is the Guinea pig supposed to be fed and how much? Does a Guinea pig need a shower before and after it awakes. Does it need a bath in the night?

By Valentina

About a week ago we got two Abyssinian guinea pigs, who are 3yrs old, and I would like to know if giving your Guinea pig a bath is optional (since I don't want to traumatize the poor things!).

By luciere100

I just got a pet baby guinea pig, Bitsy, and she has been nibbling on everything! Do guinea pigs need to be in groups? My dad said that they are better in groups. Is this true?

By Chloe S.

I've had my 2 Guinea Pigs for 2 months now and they still seem new to me. I've read up on them, I get them out almost every night after school. I try to handle them and I love them lots, but they just don't love me back.

Every time I pick them up now they jump off my hand, every time I go to stroke them they run off, even when I'm just walking up to the cage. Also one of them bites. I don't know whether to take one or both back and to get a new pet altogether, maybe a rabbit. What should I do?

Livi from England

Answers:

Guinea Pigs Seem Skittish

Do not worry. Some Guinea Pigs are just not as "expressive" as other type of pets. They surely like you and love you, they just do not show it that much, as a dog or some cats would. If you are looking for a more loving pet, a dog or a kitten would be a better choice. With cats it usually works from the beginning, I mean: If a cat or kitten likes you since the first time you see each other, it will be like that from that moment and forever. (10/15/2008)

By Paula

Guinea Pigs Seem Skittish

The guineas may be frightened of some scent you have on you. Especially if you've pet other animals earlier on. Wash you hands before going to play with them. If you think a scent is on your clothes, change your shirt as well.

Getting rid of one pet won't train the other to welcome you. It would also leave the remaining guinea very lonely and bored for all the time you're in school, out playing, etc.

Instead of you trying to pet them at first sight; try coaxing them to come to you with a treat they love like celery or carrots. Hold the treats just close enough to them so the guinea has to stretch to take the treat. Allow them to retreat when they feel the need and gradually try extending the distance they have to move each time. Don't play games with the treats by holding them out and moving them once the guinea approaches. That will only teach them to distrust you.

Make them work for their food instead of leaving plenty of food for them to eat, after they've trained you to leave them alone. Of course make sure they have plenty of water and a super clean cage. You can leave them some food, but after they take some treats from you. A hungry rodent is much easier to train than one who eats their fill before you get home from school.

Keep your voice very soft and calm; praising them gently for every positive thing they do and rewarding with a treat at the same time. You also have to be completely calm and relaxed when dealing with them. They can sense anxiety a mile away and it frightens them. No jerky movements of any kind. Move calmly, but quickly if they move to bite, but no shouting, shoving or dropping them.

Everyone else at home needs to avoid doing anything that may make them nervous. You may be calm and quiet, but if Dad is shouting at the football game; they will still be very stressed and more difficult to train. If some family isn't willing to be helpful with this; think of moving the guineas to a place where they have more calm and quiet. Building a relationship takes work and patience no matter what kind of relationship it is. Training is a slow process to start as you both get to trust one another.

Younger guineas are usually a little easier to get used to human contact, but the training is the same. Rabbits are very similar in terms of feeding and training/behaviours so working with what you already have is a good place to start. When they get more social and learn to accept treats from you; you can really have fun with continued training by setting up little obstacle courses for them and things like that.

Training a pet is always harder than it seems before you have the pet in your home. That's part of the learning responsibility aspect of having pets. Be patient and persistent. We'd all like our pets to shower us with affection on demand, but it takes time and effort to reach anything close to that. One may always be more independent than the other. Accepting some basic things about your pets is part of being a good pet owner.

Make sure you're handling them properly, also. You should place one hand firmly (but gently as possible) on their shoulders to prevent them from leaping forward and scoop their rump up with the other hand. Guineas don't usually bite so they may be frightened of something you're doing that you don't realize is scary to them. Hold for a few seconds to start then put them down gently and praise them along with offering treats.

As a kid, we had very little money, but I worked at the local produce shop sweeping up to get the veggies my guineas liked. It might be an idea for you if you don't otherwise have many treats for them.

Good luck and be persistent. (10/16/2008)

By Shelter Worker

Guinea Pigs Seem Skittish

What I have started doing with our "new" Guinea pig: I approach his cage slowly, reach in slowly, and when he runs, I slowly follow him with my hand, pet him and talk to him calmly and gently, then slowly pick him up. I have a carrot ready for him to eat when I get him out of the cage, (carrots are his fave), and he is usually calm and relaxed while he eats his carrot from my (or my DD's) hand.

We can pet him more now. He doesn't run as much, knowing he will get that carrot when we get him out. He is only 6 months old and we have only had him for 1 week, so when he bites, I tap his nose and firmly tell him "no". He was biting my buttons last night, and I did this 3 times, and then just saying "no" (without tapping the nose), he would look at me and stop.

I talk and pet him the whole time I am holding him. I talk to him without approaching the cage just to get him used to my voice. Seems to be working. Just need to be patient. We keep his cage in the living room so he gets used to our voices, and sees us daily, as we go about our day. We got ours from a pet shop, and he needs to get used to being handled and being around people. Good luck with your loved little pet. Just remember to be patient, firm, and calm with your voice. We tell him we love him and won't hurt him. Sorry this is so long, but these are some tips that helped us with our new pet. (10/17/2008)

By jmz2005

Guinea Pigs Seem Skittish

The way to a Guinea pig's heart is its stomach. As for the biter, distract his teeth with food. Remember not everybody has love at first site. Keep trying and always use a flat hand or the biter will think your hand is a carrot stick. They have poor eyesight, but excellent smell. By the way, shelter workers tips are good. (10/20/2008)

By RodentandFelinexpertgirl