Caring for Duck Eggs

Maintaining the proper temperature and humidity is important when incubating eggs. This guide is about caring for duck eggs.

A duckling being hatched.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 29, 2016 Flag

Yesterday my little brother and I were at a local park with a lake/pond. Well there's geese and ducks there and my little brother was feeding the ducks while they were laying down, he got too close and they jumped into the water. After they swam away he found an egg in shallow water. We grabbed the egg and took it home and put it in blankets and under a lamp that lets off a lot of heat. It also has small crack. I need to know what I need to do. Also when I candle the egg, you can see the embryo at the top.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm sorry.

With the small crack the egg will not hatch. It is best to discard it before it begins to rot and smell really bad.

Read More Answers...

June 2, 2016 Flag

This guide is about incubating duck eggs. If you don't have a broody mother duck, an incubator can help you hatch poultry eggs.

Baby ducks hatching in an incubator

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 10, 2016 Flag

I found a cold egg in a park and I family visited. It had been there for about 5-6 hours. I've been keeping the egg fairly warm and still. The egg had been laid that day and I'm not sure if it has even been fertilized, but now my siblings and I are so exited to maybe have a little duckling.

Duck Egg

If the egg has been cold for several hours, any inhabitant was most probably dead long before you found it. Also, even if there was a living embryo inside when found, it would have died as the embryo requires specific temperature and humidity over time to survive.

September 6, 2015 Flag

I found an egg the size of a chicken egg lying in a creek today. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of egg it is and how to look after it. It was really cold so I ran it under some warm water. I hope it's okay. Now I just have it in a blanket under a lamp.
      I don't know what to do next!

Kind Regards.

When an egg comes out of a chicken, it comes out "wet". That fluid is a protective covering, which when dry (it dries almost instantly by the way), keeps a lot of bacteria from entering the egg, because the shell is porous.

If you found the egg in a creek, it is most certainly dead. Not only is the protective fluid washed off of it but even if there were a fertilized embryo in there it asphyxiated from having been submerged in the creek...sorry about it but there it is. You should pitch it because soon it will start to smell bad.

Sadly, I agree with the previous posters. I think it is very likely that the embryo in that egg is dead. If it was in water and very cold, that would kill it. I have hatched chicken eggs in an incubator in a school science lab, and they need a constant warm temp, a fairly high humidity, and need to be turned twice a day. It takes about 22 days, if I remember correctly, maybe longer.

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2011 Flag

I noticed this morning that a mallard hen made a nest in my backyard. This afternoon I had a yard service put mulch down. When I got home the duck was gone and the eggs were covered with mulch. I uncovered them and I really hope she'll come back! Do you think she will return? How long will the eggs be OK without her setting on the nest?

By Monte from Overland Park, KS

You could try to find out how to incubate the eggs yourself or contact a wildlife carer or vet

I agree, please contact your local fish and wildlife office, they may have some ideas. Good luck

Read More Answers...

March 14, 2012 Flag

Yesterday I found 4 duck eggs and I have been watching them. The mother hasn't come back, so I took them into my house and I am keeping them warm. I need to know when they are going to hatch, which then leads me to needing to know how old they are. Does anyone know how to tell how old an egg is?

By Gracie

Hold them up to a light and see if there's any development going on, that's called candling! This site is for doing chicken eggs, but, will give you an idea!

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

Take a toilet paper core, the egg and a flashlight into a dark closet. Egg in one end flashlight at the bottom and you will see if there is a youngster developing in there. Call wildlife rescue in your area as there are all sorts of things that are needed for developing eggs. They have to have proper temperature, proper moisture, proper turning.

Should they hatch, do not help them by peeling shell away. That kills them as they bleed very easily. Please call wildlife rescue if you want them to live. Ask at your local feed store if they know someone to help you.

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2014 Flag

My 6 year old son found an egg, a duck egg. He brought it home. We have it under a light. But we want to know how long would it take for it to hatch?

By Anthony D.

If you just have it under a light, it most likely will not hatch. They have to be kept at a stead 99.5 degrees and with a humidity of 55%. They also have to be turned at least 4 times a day. Then, if all conditions are just right, most breeds hatch in about 28 days. The humidity sometimes needs to be changed as well, depending on the duck breed.

June 23, 2011 Flag

We live on a golf course, and a few weeks ago a duck laid its eggs in a neighbor's empty clay flower pot filled with some dirt on her front porch. She has been sitting on them, but today it rained all afternoon, and when we went over to check, the eggs were floating in water in the pot. We removed the eggs, put in fresh warm potting soil and moved the pot under the porch awning where the pot would stay dry.

At first the mother would not come under the porch. She stayed where the pot had been in the rain. i showed her the pot with the eggs, and she immediately hissed at me and jumped in the pot and my husband moved it back under the porch. She stayed in the pot while he moved it, of course hissing and trying to bite the whole time.

Will she continue to lay on these eggs even though the pot has been moved? We have checked from a distance several times, and she is still there.

By Leslie S

I found this online, hope it helps!

If the nest is in potentially dangerous location:

"Guess" when the eggs will hatch based on observations. How long has the female been seen on her nest full time? It is important to have a general idea of when the ducklings will hatch.

If the nest is in a residential area mom and ducklings can be chaperoned on their walk back to the water if there is a concern about vehicular traffic in the neighborhood. Use the guesstimated date to plan for this walk. Also get the assistance of a couple of neighbors, but discourage bringing children along because the mother duck may view them as a potential predator.

If the nest is separated from the water body by a major road, the following should be done:

Find out what body of water the female utilizes. Try to observe her as she leaves the nest for her early morning or late evening feedings. If intervention is needed, taking mom and ducklings to the wrong water body will only make matters worse. In other words, you can not guess (you must know where she is headed). Once she begins incubating, the female can be seen flying to the water source where her mate is waiting (once or twice a day - early morning or late afternoon), for food and water. The water body is usually within 200 yards of the nest site. Even if the exact location is not know, the direction which she usually heads is needed.

Based on the "guesstimate" of when the eggs should hatch, approximately one week before the due date erect a 12-24 inch tall wire or mess fence around the nesting site. The openings should not be larger than 1 inch, otherwise the ducklings can escape, but the diameter should be wide enough to allow mom to fly in and out. This fence will prevent a mom from moving the ducklings until assistance can be provided. However, this only be done if the nest is in a location where someone is observing it daily and the move can occur on the same day (otherwise the ducklings could die from dehydration, starvation, or predation).

Once the ducklings hatch, they can be moved into an escape-proof pet carrier and walked to the water body. Only one person should do the "walk"; a crowd of people or too much activity will deter mom from staying nearby. Mom must be able to hear and preferably see the ducklings throughout the move so she does not get too discouraged and abandons them. If mom flies away, set the carrier down until she returns (usually within a matter of minutes) then resume the "walk". Once you arrive at the water body, set the carrier down then back away and let mom and babies vocalize with one another for a minute or two. If you open the carrier before they have identified their mom, they will scatter.

http://wildliferehabber.com/modules/wildlifesection/item.php?itemid=7

We get ducks nesting in the yard often, and I believe she will continue to sit on them. I am very surprised she sat in the pot while your hubby moved it. LOL. That must have been a sight. When the babies hatch, she will most likely have them moved before you will ever get a good look at them. That's usually what happens to me. They always seem to hatch while I'm at work. :(

June 16, 2013 Flag

About 6 hours ago, we found 9 duck eggs in front of our house in our flower bed under our bush. When we opened the front door the duck mom left, she did not come back. We are worried. I have a small basket and I've put a soft blanket underneath and we've put all 9 eggs in the basket. I covered them with a tea towel and two soft table cloths. The basket is now in the garage. Our questions:
        What do we do now?
        How do we take care of the eggs?
        Will the mom come back?
        Do we put the eggs back?
        Please give us some answers, it is urgent.

By Victoria

I would suggest putting the eggs back where they were. The mama may come back to them. Do not leave the blanket or anything with the eggs! If she doesn't come back in the next day or so,put the eggs back in the basket with the blanket. You will need to hang a light of some kind (for warmth) about a foot or so from them.

Also, turn the eggs over at least twice a day.That's what we did when we found our duck dead.We had about 12 eggs in all. All of them hatched out in about two weeks, except for one. We gave them away to our farmer friend. LOL

There is a chance that the mama will come back! Give her a chance first before you do anything else. Good Luck, Kathy

May 3, 2012 Flag

We had a mallard hen lay 11 eggs, 1 was broken. She sat and hardly ever left. We thought they would start hatching about the 4th. We've been checking off and on. She was there Monday! Today she is not there and 3 shells are broken there is down in the nest.

By Teri

I don't know for sure, but I get Birds and Blooms Magazine and read it cover to cover every time. If I remember correctly, one of the articles said that they do come back. She may be coming back at night and leaving in the morning to eat. You can try taking one egg and try hatching it yourself but these efforts usually do not come to fruitation unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing. So if you try it, don't be too disappointed if the egg does not hatch.

March 30, 2007 Flag

I found a duck egg. I don't know how to tell if it's still alive. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Chaeda from Columbia, MD

I found an egg. I do not know what to do and I do not know if it is alive or not.

December 2, 2010 Flag

I found a duck egg. I don't know how to tell if it's still

alive. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Chaeda from Columbia, MD

Answers:

I Found a Duck Egg

Try to find a bird rescue site that's local online. They will

take it and take care of it if it's alive. (03/30/2007)

By <a href="http://www.thriftyfun.com//profile/index.lasso?

profile=thr416933">Lily 59

I Found a Duck Egg

I know freshly laid eggs can last up to 10-14 days cold and

still hatch. They seem to go dormant then once put under a bird

or in an incubator they start to grow and take the usual days to

hatch.

Nicki from England (03/31/2007)

profile=thr882351">Baa-me-chick

I Found a Duck Egg

It doesn't matter what kind of egg (curious how you know it's a

duck egg:-), but all above tips are correct. They remain non

fertile until the hen begins incubating them. Once incubation

begins they will be dead in shell if the process is interrupted

(lack of heat) for more than a a few hours. You can "candle"

them by cutting cardboard circle to cover a flashlight with a

hole in the center (place the egg) going in a dark room, place

egg in hole and see if there are red veins). If you decide to

make a homemade incubator temp 100 or 101 degrees, be sure to

provide moisture and softly turn the egg periodically. Good

luck! (04/01/2007)

By macawmadam

I Found a Duck Egg

From what I've been reading online, wild duck eggs, if touched

by humans, may never be taken back by their mothers. Consider

carefully before you pick up wild duck eggs, the mother may just

be off the nest getting some food. (05/01/2007)

profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

I Found a Duck Egg

Eggs don't get fertilized by something sitting on them.

Here is the bird side of the birds and the bees from

enaturalist.com, by Jim Berry:

"After mating, inside the female, sperm swim up a tube called

the oviduct, at the end of which there is an ovum, inside which

resides the female sex germ. If the ovum is mature, it's already

equipped with yolk, the yellow part of the future egg. The sperm

may now fertilize the ovum by penetrating it and uniting the two

sex-cells' genetic material.

After fertilization, the ovum with its yolk begins its own

journey down the oviduct, a process lasting about 24 hours.

During the first three or four hours, moving at about one tenth

of an inch (2.3 mm) per minute, albumen (egg white) is added

around the ovum and its yolk. The yellow yolk will serve as food

material for the developing chick; the white will mainly keep

the yolk from drying out, and will give the yolk physical

support

Now the future egg slows to about 40 percent of its earlier

speed, and membranes are added around the yolk and egg white.

Finally the shell is put in place, taking 19 to 20 hours. Then,

the hen Mallard lays her fertilized egg!"

(05/01/2007)

profile=thr715957">the Oracle

I Found a Duck Egg

I use to have a duck. If any of your have a store called

Southern States near you, that is where we used to buy our duck

food. If not, check with some local farms, they should be able

answer your questions. (06/03/2007)

By Paul

I Found a Duck Egg

I found a duck egg too and you just have to put it in a cup with

a wash cloth underneath it and put a light over it, but not too

close. Spray it with warm water every hour and turn it 3-5 times

a day. To see if it is alive just put it under a flashlight in a

dark room. (06/24/2007)

By moogan

I Found a Duck Egg

First see if it's warm. If it it is cold, throw it out. If not

take a egg carton and shine a light through it and put the egg

on top if there is a embryo inside. Keep it warm (not hot) and

find someone who can incubate it. (05/11/2008)

By Janelle

June 6, 2010 Flag

My dog found a duck nest and gently brought home 3 eggs. We saw the ducks on the lake this morning so the eggs haven't been abandoned for long. How do we care for the eggs?

By Jodie from Balsam Lake, WI

Answers:

Caring For A Duck Egg

The ducks probably didn't abandon the nest. Your dog took the eggs while they were away from the nest. If you have kept them warm, find the nest and put them back. They might still be viable. The smell of you and your dog on the eggs won't cause them to abandon the eggs. In the rare chance that they were abandoned already, they were probably dead when the dog found them. (05/09/2010)

By schyresti

May 9, 2010 Flag

I found a duck egg. How do I know if it's alive and how do I take care of it?

Pets AdviceFebruary 3, 2013
        Mallard Duck swimming in a lake.
        Mallard Duck Information and Photos
        Duck Dinner
        Recipes Using Leftover Duck
        Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
        Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
        Duck eggs in a nest.
        Moving Duck Eggs
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:35:25 PM on 10.0.2.187 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.