Caring for My Dog After It Has Been Spayed

My little pug a poo, Molly, is going to be spayed in a month. She's 6 lbs. Any advice for a quick recovery and for dealing with her incision? I'll take her to the People for Animals here and she comes home the same day. What about pain? Any advice would would be appreciated.

Valery from NJ

Answers:

Use Q-tips with peroxide on them to keep the incision clean after she has gone outside to do her business. As pollen can not be seen, but is everywhere this time of year and could get into her incision. Even particles of dust and dirt can enter "it" while she is doing her business.

But animals are very good about licking themselves and that will help to clean and heal the wound too. So do not scold her for continuing to lick it over and over again. (04/18/2006)

By Paula Jo C.

My dog never had a collar put on her and she did lick a lot. It seemed to hurt my male dog much more than my female dog. Some places send home pain relievers for the pets. I hope your little love comes through it well. If you are at all unsure, please ask a lot of questions of the pet care provider. It is their job to provide the answers you seek. (04/19/2006)

By smcarney

Keep her calm and quiet. Only apply to the incision what your vet tells you to. Maybe get her a toy that you are sure she will be quiet with. (04/19/2006)

By Sandy

Becki, call the vet and he will tell you what you can give her. Feed her lightly and give lots of love and tender care. They bounce back quickly so if you don't see improvement in a day call the vet. You can usually give aspirin, but the vet needs to tell you how much according to the dog's weight. Val (02/15/2007)

By valery

Dog With Her Puppies
Caring for a Dog and Her Puppies
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
Deaf Dog
Caring for a Deaf Dog
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
🎉
🎄