Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

I have two English bulldog puppies that are 5 weeks old. The mother has nothing to do with them. I have been bottle feeding since they were 1 week old. How often and how much should I feed them and when can they eat regular puppy food.

Josie from El Paso, TX

Editor's Note: Here are some other posts about feeding young puppies on ThriftyFun

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

At five weeks they could/should be eating dry puppy food. Mine started on their own at 3 1/2 weeks (08/02/2007)

By Glenda

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

If you can't find a source of fresh goat milk (ask at the feedstore or go to the American Dairy Goat Association online to find a goat person near you) then there is canned or powdered goat milk in the stores. Feed very tiny amounts and then feed water between times, at first. Never dilute milk with water as is commonly recommended. It is very important for the milk to react with stomach acids and form a solid in the stomach in order to be digested right and not cause diarrhea. With water dilution it won't set right. Your vet will have a very expensive formula to use if you are completely desperate. (08/02/2007)

By kimhis

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

You can start teaching the puppies to eat dog food at 2 weeks of age. I would put a little bit of the can dog food (this is mushy and easier for them to eat) on my finger and put into the puppy's mouth. I would do this twice a day for about a week to a week and a half as it takes about this long for them to learn to eat. At about the age of 2 weeks the mother does not constantly feed the puppies. By the time the pup is 4 weeks old, I would be using dry dog food with water on it so it is easier for the puppy to eat the dog food. You must remember the mother usually starts to wean her puppies about 6-7 weeks old. By the time she weans the puppy it can eat dry dog food with no water on it. I do not know how often to feed milk to the puppy. I have not had to do that in a very long time.

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

You must ask the vet. He will tell you exactly how often and what to feed. He might even have a formula for them or he will tell you what to feed them. If you can't afford a vet, an English Bulldog rescue will probably take them off your hands and give them good care until they can find them a loving home. If you need to find a rescue, you're local animal shelter or SPCA can help. (08/11/2007)

By Stngray

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy

I have a five and half week old pit bull who wouldn't eat. I tried baby food and wet Eukanuba mixed together (it's very messy but he ate it). I wanted him to eat something more so I bought baby dog Royal Canine which he likes (but doesn't eat on a regular basis). What I found most helpful and what he guzzles down is newborn puppy milk that you can buy from PetCo (it's on the same aisle as the vitamins). Good luck! (03/22/2008)

new puppy

I am about to be given a 3 1/2 wk old puppy half Wiener dog, half mix of who knows what. I know it is probably too early to take the puppy away from her mother, but the family is just getting rid of all the puppies. Will someone please give me some suggestions on what to do to take care of such a young puppy? ex: food? environment?

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Way too early to take a puppy away from it's mother. 6 weeks is a minimum and 8 weeks is much better. Your pup will have a much better start if you can convince the owners to keep the pups longer.

By Nickie

Caring for a 5 Week Old Puppy
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman Weighing Herself
Losing 5 Pounds in a Week
Photo of a lady yelling at a driver.
Avoiding Road Rage
5 Week Old Chihuahua Puppy
Training a 5 Week Old Puppy