Caring for a Dog After it Vomits

Category Health
Golden retriever puppy not feeling well.
You should always consult your veterinarian to be sure you are giving your dog proper care. This guide is about caring for a dog after it vomits.

PLEASE READ! DOG IN NEED!

I have a Siberian Husky who is a little over a year old. She was hit by a car almost a month ago, I took her to the vet, she had two major surgeries. Her stomach can only hold liquids, and she vomits everything else, and she is very skinny and still losing weight. The vet and I are trying several things, but I am afraid for her. Is there anything I can give her to help? Please reply if you have ANY ideas! Thank you!

Shayne from Sandy, UT

Have the vet do bloodwork to ensure there is not an infection taking over. Also check her electrolytes.

Keep her fluids up. Do the broth routine with water as well.

I went thru a similiar situation after surgery 3 years ago . If it was not for continious IV fluids, I would've died.

Sorry to hear about your poor baby.

Hopefully your vet can fix this or consider seeing another vet.

There is a product you can get from the vet. It's in a tube, has lots of great nutrition and apparently tastes yummy for dogs.

It's very rich and expensive and he cant live on it but it might at least give him some strength to heal what he needs to heal.

Does anyone else know the product I am speaking of? People often use it for dogs that are sick and dont feellike eating.

Best of luck and love to you both.

try fast track from conklin it is probiotic and will help her stomach and has other forms that will help your poor baby. email me for info if you would like.

mitchells 96 @ hotmail. com

I would ask the vet to be in touch with the nearest vet college, they are the top of the industry. Hope she's doing better today!

The vet college is good but if you don't have one FIND ANOTHER VET!! This person is incompetent!!

Go out and get a couple cans of Iams canned puppy food...and a box of Gerber baby RICE cereal. Don't get the oatmeal or mixed..it needs to be the rice cereal. Use about 1/3 of the can of the puppy food and mix in 1/2 cup of rice cereal. It's bland, but has tons of carbs. Using hot water, mix it until its thin enough that she won't throw it up. She should be able to keep it down. Feed her this at least 6 times a day. Some dogs have a very sensitive stomach after a trauma. If she can keep this down, she will be able to eat regularly again later on. Give her time to adjust, but keep the meals small and frequent. Good luck!

If this vet has no answers get one that does without haste and never go to him again!

get another vet first. how about gatoraide. ally will drink anything if she sees me drink it. or chicken broth.

I feel very bad for your dog. I had a little beagle that started vomiting ALOT and was in the hospital for awhile. They tried all kinds of stomach meds and finally gave him CENTRINE. It calmed his stomach and stopped the vomiting. I hope this helps and I hope your little fur baby gets better. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

How about a drink of ENSURE it comes in

vanilla, strawberry and choc. flavor and it has

a lot of nutrients. I give this to my mom daily

at least one bottle and she feels better as

she does not always eat a lot of food.

Ask vet if it is ok for doggie to have it.

I wish your dog well. Let us know, prayers for

doggie and you.

you can actually try to cook potato mixed with carrot and chicken. made it into porridge (rice) and let him drink the broth. it is very nutrition. it doesnt matter if he doesnt eat the chicken. Nutrients from the potato, carrot and chicken has gone into the broth. do it everyday and i hope your pet would love the taste. normally i would let it boil on low fire until the carrot, potato and chicken are soft.

Science Diet sells a canned food that is used for both dog and cats,its called AD. It can be liquidfied and put into a IV tube if nessacary. They use it to feed animals that are recovering from tramua or surgery. See if your Vet can find this for you. I agree with everyone else. find another vet and get your pets medical records, Good luck.I lost my yukon 2 years ago due to posion.Huskys Rule!

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby! My inlaws' dog had a bad reaction from knee surgery and can now only have liquids. Theirs is a lifelong thing - I sicerely hope yours is not. They have to put all of his food in a blender. It consists of the AD food previously mentioned along with rice, boiled chicken, and water.

I believe the high calorie stuff in a tube previously mentioned is called NutriCal or VitaCal or something like that. I had to give it my cat when she had lost more than half her body wieght from an overactive thyroid. We got it from the vet, but I did see it in the Dr. Foster's catalog a few years ago. "It's kind of sweet, high in calories, and they love the taste. Good luck!

I agree with the folks who say find another vet. Not that your vet is bad, but another vet may have different training and experiences and be better able to figure out what's going on in this particular case. Since she's not eating and losing weight, I would go promptly to another vet or pet ER. In the meantime, be sure she his getting plenty of water.

My Dog is coughing or hacking and has a clear or sometimes foaming vomit. Are there any home remedies out there?

Jeff from Lubbock, TX

You need to find out what is causing this to happen. It could be a virus, bacteria, etc., you need to find out what causes it in order to treat it. It could be something simple or something life threatening, best to check it out at the vet.

Clear, foamy vomit (like a frothy egg) usually is an indicator of colitis. A viral or bacterial cough, however, could also cause vomiting.

If coughing/vomiting continues beyond 24 hours and/or if you notice a runny stool, take your dog to the vet.

In the meantime, put your dog on a very bland diet, consisting of cooked rice and a tablespoon of yogurt (small portions, 3-4 times a day)

I do recommend you at least call the vet, however. A phone call is free.

Your dog could just have a tonsillitis. Does it scoot his hiney on the carpet?

I would say take your dog to the vet.

This happened to my dog years ago and my dog was poisoned by hunters.

My dog had foamy vomit too.

My dog had a serious bowel obstruction (twist) which can be fatal

I suggest calling the vet at the very least

I just got a puppy a few days ago took her to the vet and found out she has kennel cough.Get your dog to the vet now!(my puppy was doing the exact same thing)

If this is an ongoing thing he has to go to the vet! If its only rarely or once in a while, try a teaspoon of cooking or olive oil. Could be he's choking on a piece of his rawhide chew?

In any case, that you have to ask, ask a Vet. The first call may be the last.

Sounds like kennel cough; he coughs until he gags and then vomits. Take him to the vet. He probably needs antibiotics, sometimes cough syrup can help, but check with the vet before giving him anything.

My puppy did the same thing. I took the rawhide away and haven't had any problems

hey people, thanks for the comments... most were from people that I would call overly worried. "omg, go to the vetttttt! Well in my opinion vets suck ! 99% of them are just about the money and they tell you more things are wrong with your pet than there really is. I know there are times when vets are needed but thats not what were talking about here. Heres what I did, I read post from this site, and tried one that sounded good that made sense. It worked wonderfully. Dogs are doing great and there as happy as ever. What did I do? you ask! I gave my dogs 1 vitamin c 500mg 1 garlic 500mg and 1 enchinacea 125mg... thats it. one time by the next morning they were not hacking or votiming at all. saved me a 100bucks just from a office visit right there! not to mention shot fees or other fees they would of had. So the next time I need a vet, Ill look online first! Thank you

Our little chihuahua contacted Parvo in a pet clothes shop. The dear Lord spared him, but now he has a lot of trouble with nausea and vomiting. Is there some way to treat this? He is not dehydrating, and seems healthy other than his wimpy stomach. I'm looking for suggestions.

Deborah from CA

Have you tried feeding him plain cooked rice? It helps to settle the stomach some, it's very inexpensive, and he should be able to keep it down. You can also use pepto bismol/kayopectate, not fun trying to get dogs to take, or Tums/calcium carbonate (I use the white peppermint ones) put on a cracker or you can pill them too. I've used both on dogs, both are safe for dogs to use, and I've gotten decent results from both. Tums also provides a little calcium.

http://www.pete … m?articleid=1456

What does your vet say? And if you do give the above check w/your vet first to make sure it's ok for YOUR dog, & what dose you should give.

Ask your vet. I presume that you're having your vet treat him for Parvo.

This advice was given by my vet when my cat (not dog) was throwing up, but it could work for dogs too. Remove all food, but not water, for 24 hours. Then buy skinned chicken breasts.. steam.. not roast or fry-- allow to cool, cut up and feed small amounts at a time.

The ironic thing to this is that I paid $9 for the chicken breasts, faithfully followed the vets advice, and the little she-devil would not touch them!

She did get better though!

I read on the Internet that Papaya juice and acidolphilus heals so MANY things with many pets.

I use it for my bunnies, mice, and cats, if ever they seem sick or have diarrhea, and it works quickly with only one or two doses over a few hours. If they will not drink it voluntarily, you may have to wrap your pet in an old towel to secure it and hand spoon small amounts into the front side corner of their mouth, holding the lips back and open, where the teeth don't meet. Talk gently and reassuringly to them as you do this and they most often accept it. I also ran out of papaya juice and substituted apple juice once, which also worked.

Good luck and God bless you and your pet. : )

There's a product called Parvaid that is suppose to work and your vet should be able to sell it to you.

My dog gets panicky if she wakes up hungry, and runs around licking up lint, dog hair, toilet paper, grass and so on. Usually I feed her whatever people food is the most tempting and gentle on her stomach, and then she's fine. When I had to take her for a sedated exam recently, she had to be fasted out. Sure enough, she woke up vomiting repeatedly, and after trying massage, music, hugs, and everything to calm her, I tied her to the leg of my big desk so she could only sit there and calm down. Immediately, she was no longer vomiting, looking unhappy but calmer. God bless you and your second-best friend.

http://www.pete … m?articleid=1456

Keep check on his gums make sure they are pink or reddish. If they are pale, get some corn syrup and wipe his gums with it from your finger also get a medicine syringe {without the needle} and give him pedialite being very careful to put it in the corner of his mouth toward the back and go slow and gently rub his throat so he swallows. Also chicken breast no skin, white rice, boiled and mashed potatoes, cottage chesse all with no seasoning just bland diet for 3 days about a teaspoon of it every 3-4 hours. And pepcid get the 10mg and break it in 2 and give him half in the morning, you can mix it in his cottage cheese or a little piece of the chicken. If he is not eating then put the pill in his mouth just over the hump of his tongue in the back and hold his mouth shut and gently rub his throat till he swallows.

These are all things I am doing right now for 2 of my dogs. The mother is Manchester terrier and the baby is mixed with her and Chihuahua. o just remember to not give up and keep him from stress. Also the vet gave me some flagyl 250mg pills that I break in 4 pieces and this is for infection in the stomach. Also penacylin is good..Pepto is not all that great because it masks the signs and it turns the poop black. So I hope he gets better and you all will be on our prayers. Blessings. If you need any more help you can email me at cornerstoneacdmy at aol.com. Blessings and huggies.

If your dog is otherwise healthy, try a 24-hour fast. After 4 to 8 hours of fasting, you can give him some broth. If he can keep the broth down, give him a bit more food after another 8 hours. You can add a bit of well-cooked meat, and some well-cooked grains such as oatmeal or rice to the broth. If your dog starts vomiting again, resume just feeding him broth for another 12 hours or so and try again.

Herbs (such as alfalfa, ginger) can also help dog vomiting. Please see this page for more info: http://www.natu … ng-remedies.html

Good luck!

You might try giving your baby peptobismol. We find in dog rescue that this works very well for upset stomachs, and the vet recommends it, too.

My dog lately has been going off and getting into other peoples garbage. When she returns she vomits up some food she has ingested. To curb this problem we no longer allow her outside unless we are with her. She is 9 years old and until recently she would never leave our yard. The problem now is that she is intermittently vomiting up bile. It does not happen everyday.

I believe her behavior is because our youngest daughter is a freshman in college and away from home for the first time in the dog's life. The dog is very active and playful and nothing else is different. Should we be concerned, what can we do?

Shay from Ewing NJ

I wouldn't take any chances. You should take her to the vet.

I agree you should check with your vet. Out Basset Hound was vomiting bright yellow bile, usually happened overnight. She was diagnosed as having a form of acid reflux, and the problem was solved by dividing her feeding into 3 times a day, one of them right before bedtime. It was a simple fix and worked like a charm.

I agree you should check with your vet. Our Basset Hound was vomiting bright, yellow bile, usually overnight. Tokk her in to the vet, and he diagnosed it as a form of acid reflux. We fixed the problem by dividing up her feedings 3 times a day, with the final one right before bed. Worked like a charm!

My dog was throwing up and now he does not want to eat. What can I do?

Dennis from Bronx, NY

Dennis, this type of problem can turn so serious so quickly, I suggest calling your vet right away. There are many different things that might be causing it, but guessing wrong could endanger your dog's life. If you don't have the money, beg or borrow enough to get him to the vet ASAP. Good luck, and keep us posted on his recovery.

This just happened to us recently. Our dog ate cat poop and some of the litter got stuck. They did some tests, put her on antibiotics and fluids. Yes, it was about $600, but worth it! If you have to, just have them do an xray to see if there is pancritis or a blockage, then decide what to do from there. That was only about $100.

Take your pet to the vet! It could be something serious! If you really love your pet, you don't want them sick and suffering, GO TO THE VET ASAP! :)

Take your dog to the veterinarian. Could be very serious!

I have a black pug. From time to time she vomits her food. Not often. Is there anything out there my pug can eat that won't upset here already upset stomach.

Jane

Your dog may have a food allergy. Your best bet is to contact your vet and make an appt to get your dog checked out.

Hi Jane- I've referred to this website from time to time and it's helped. Hopefully it will help you out as well. http://www.veti  om/dogindex.html

Have you tried changing the food at all? If your pug is getting older, her stomach might be more sensitive than it once was... Hope this helps!

try tinned rice pudding. It must be tinned - home made doesn't seem to work!

We have a Pekingese with the same problem. We have found that Chicken flavor Pounce hairball treats help greatly. He has stopped vomiting as long as I remember to feed them to him.

Hope that helps

My dog is not feeling himself. He is vomiting, has a lack of energy, and is not eating much. What can I do for him? Also his poo is dry.