Caring for a Dog After it Vomits

Category Health
You should always consult your veterinarian to be sure you are giving your dog proper care. This guide is about caring for a dog after it vomits.

When your dog is vomiting it can be very scary. Once you've eliminated any serious issues such as bloat or poison contact, the best way to get the problem under control is Stop - Slow - Bland.

Stop all food and water for at least 6 hours. Slowly begin with crushed ice chips or a small amount of salt-free broth. If that is held down after 3 hours, repeat. After 3 more hours, give a very small amount of boiled chicken. Repeat 3 hours later. If the problem is still gone, slowly start back on regular diet, giving 3-4 small meals per day instead of 1 large one for at least 2 days. If vomiting is accompanied by lethargy, fever, shaking, or obvious signs of discomfort see your vet immediately!

Source: Lebanon Animal Hospital gave us this advice for our dog, Rogue (in pet contest!) and the STOP SLOW BLAND method got her back on track in 2 days.

By blackbeararts from Lebanon, TN

Some good ideas, but our vet cautions that if home remedies aren't working and the dog is still having bouts of vomiting after 12 hours, time for a trip to the doc,whether other symptoms like lethargy or tremors are present or not.

Often, dogs will not obviously show evidence of pain, even if it's there and dehydration can onset quickly even after one day of vomiting, which can put the dog at risk for system shutdown.

My dog is not feeling himself. He is vomiting, has a lack of energy, and is not eating much. What can I do for him? Also his poo is dry.

It is important to keep him hydrated. If this were my dog I would call the vet.

I believe that if your dog is vomiting then you shouldn't feed it food until it settles down. Also vomiting is a sign that something else is wrong. You should consult a vet. There may be a blockage in the dogs intestines which could be dangerous.

Definitely dehydrated... Get him hydrated and if it doesn't clear up soon, you need a vet

PLEASE READ! DOG IN NEED!

I have a Siberian Husky who is a little over a year old. She was hit by a car almost a month ago, I took her to the vet, she had two major surgeries. Her stomach can only hold liquids, and she vomits everything else, and she is very skinny and still losing weight. The vet and I are trying several things, but I am afraid for her. Is there anything I can give her to help? Please reply if you have ANY ideas! Thank you!

Shayne from Sandy, UT

you can actually try to cook potato mixed with carrot and chicken. made it into porridge (rice) and let him drink the broth. it is very nutrition. it doesnt matter if he doesnt eat the chicken. Nutrients from the potato, carrot and chicken has gone into the broth. do it everyday and i hope your pet would love the taste. normally i would let it boil on low fire until the carrot, potato and chicken are soft.

Science Diet sells a canned food that is used for both dog and cats,its called AD. It can be liquidfied and put into a IV tube if nessacary. They use it to feed animals that are recovering from tramua or surgery. See if your Vet can find this for you. I agree with everyone else. find another vet and get your pets medical records, Good luck.I lost my yukon 2 years ago due to posion.Huskys Rule!

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby! My inlaws' dog had a bad reaction from knee surgery and can now only have liquids. Theirs is a lifelong thing - I sicerely hope yours is not. They have to put all of his food in a blender. It consists of the AD food previously mentioned along with rice, boiled chicken, and water.

I believe the high calorie stuff in a tube previously mentioned is called NutriCal or VitaCal or something like that. I had to give it my cat when she had lost more than half her body wieght from an overactive thyroid. We got it from the vet, but I did see it in the Dr. Foster's catalog a few years ago. "It's kind of sweet, high in calories, and they love the taste. Good luck!

My Dog is coughing or hacking and has a clear or sometimes foaming vomit. Are there any home remedies out there?

Jeff from Lubbock, TX

My puppy did the same thing. I took the rawhide away and haven't had any problems

hey people, thanks for the comments... most were from people that I would call overly worried. "omg, go to the vetttttt! Well in my opinion vets suck ! 99% of them are just about the money and they tell you more things are wrong with your pet than there really is. I know there are times when vets are needed but thats not what were talking about here. Heres what I did, I read post from this site, and tried one that sounded good that made sense. It worked wonderfully. Dogs are doing great and there as happy as ever. What did I do? you ask! I gave my dogs 1 vitamin c 500mg 1 garlic 500mg and 1 enchinacea 125mg... thats it. one time by the next morning they were not hacking or votiming at all. saved me a 100bucks just from a office visit right there! not to mention shot fees or other fees they would of had. So the next time I need a vet, Ill look online first! Thank you

Don't take this lightly! My dog began doing this for two days and I thought maybe she just ate something bad. On the third day when I came home at night, I found her DEAD in my kitchen! I had an autopsy performed and she was negative for parvo. The vet said she had a swollen liver and an engorged gallbladder. When I asked what caused this she said it could be a severe form of acute hepatitis, possibly a bacterial infection from which she could not recover, or possible accidental ingestion of a poison. I beat myself up for not taking her to the vet.

This was a ten year old dog in perfect health only days before. I had raised her since she was a 12 week old puppy and my heart is broken. Often dogs might vomit a little which happens to almost every dog at some point. If your dog continues to do this for more than a few hours, don't take a chance and risk losing your beloved companion. Better to shell out the cash for an exam and it be nothing than to lose your best friend.

And 99% of vets are not in the business to take your money or defraud. They are there to help animals. The majority of vets make under $85K and could make a lot more money than that with 7 years of college! The internet is a great resource, but there is also a lot of misinformation from so-called experts as well. When you want an expert opinion, hire an expert! Call the vet.

Lastly, NEVER feed your dog garlic in any form. It is poisonous to dogs. See the article at http://www.pets  e.com/Garlic.htm which has research supporting this claim by veterinarians and researchers

This was one of the symptoms my dog had before she died. She had a condition called mega esophagus where the esophagus could no longer send food or fluids to her stomach. The fluid got into her lungs and she contracted pneumonia. Unfortunately her little body couldn't fight it off. Please don't take this symptom lightly. It could indicate a much more serious problem.

My little Pug had a few area's where she had spit up a foamy vomit. I though her stomach was up set. Then she was straining to have a bowel movement. As well as seeming as she was extremely tired. Almost like she couldn't walk back to the house. So I picked her up and carried her. We went to my mom's for Easter, for only three hours. She didn't come to greet me when we came home. She was sitting in the living room...kind of in a daze. I laid on the floor with her all night. I feel to sleep for a little while, and when I woke up; I didn't see her. Some how, she struggled to the kitchen. She was laying almost where she laid waiting for me to come home. Looking up at me, laying close to her was a foul smelling runny stool. I picked her up and held her and talked to her; waiting for my son to get home and the vet to open. I got her there; but all to late. She passed within 15 min. I wish I would of taken her as soon as she started acting different. It all started when she wouldn't sleep in bed with me. Like she was to hot or something. Even though the fan was on.

For what ever reason, I never researched any of this, until after the fact, and now I must live with myself; blaming myself...that I only got to have little Puggie Pie, Snookie, Amber Bamber for ten years.

Our little chihuahua contacted Parvo in a pet clothes shop. The dear Lord spared him, but now he has a lot of trouble with nausea and vomiting. Is there some way to treat this? He is not dehydrating, and seems healthy other than his wimpy stomach. I'm looking for suggestions.

Deborah from CA

There's a product called Parvaid that is suppose to work and your vet should be able to sell it to you.

My dog gets panicky if she wakes up hungry, and runs around licking up lint, dog hair, toilet paper, grass and so on. Usually I feed her whatever people food is the most tempting and gentle on her stomach, and then she's fine. When I had to take her for a sedated exam recently, she had to be fasted out. Sure enough, she woke up vomiting repeatedly, and after trying massage, music, hugs, and everything to calm her, I tied her to the leg of my big desk so she could only sit there and calm down. Immediately, she was no longer vomiting, looking unhappy but calmer. God bless you and your second-best friend.

Have you tried feeding him plain cooked rice? It helps to settle the stomach some, it's very inexpensive, and he should be able to keep it down. You can also use pepto bismol/kayopectate, not fun trying to get dogs to take, or Tums/calcium carbonate (I use the white peppermint ones) put on a cracker or you can pill them too. I've used both on dogs, both are safe for dogs to use, and I've gotten decent results from both. Tums also provides a little calcium.

http://www.pete  m?articleid=1456

Keep check on his gums make sure they are pink or reddish. If they are pale, get some corn syrup and wipe his gums with it from your finger also get a medicine syringe {without the needle} and give him pedialite being very careful to put it in the corner of his mouth toward the back and go slow and gently rub his throat so he swallows. Also chicken breast no skin, white rice, boiled and mashed potatoes, cottage chesse all with no seasoning just bland diet for 3 days about a teaspoon of it every 3-4 hours. And pepcid get the 10mg and break it in 2 and give him half in the morning, you can mix it in his cottage cheese or a little piece of the chicken. If he is not eating then put the pill in his mouth just over the hump of his tongue in the back and hold his mouth shut and gently rub his throat till he swallows.

These are all things I am doing right now for 2 of my dogs. The mother is Manchester terrier and the baby is mixed with her and Chihuahua. o just remember to not give up and keep him from stress. Also the vet gave me some flagyl 250mg pills that I break in 4 pieces and this is for infection in the stomach. Also penacylin is good..Pepto is not all that great because it masks the signs and it turns the poop black. So I hope he gets better and you all will be on our prayers. Blessings. If you need any more help you can email me at cornerstoneacdmy at aol.com. Blessings and huggies.

If your dog is otherwise healthy, try a 24-hour fast. After 4 to 8 hours of fasting, you can give him some broth. If he can keep the broth down, give him a bit more food after another 8 hours. You can add a bit of well-cooked meat, and some well-cooked grains such as oatmeal or rice to the broth. If your dog starts vomiting again, resume just feeding him broth for another 12 hours or so and try again.

Herbs (such as alfalfa, ginger) can also help dog vomiting. Please see this page for more info: http://www.natu  ng-remedies.html

Good luck!

My dog lately has been going off and getting into other peoples garbage. When she returns she vomits up some food she has ingested. To curb this problem we no longer allow her outside unless we are with her. She is 9 years old and until recently she would never leave our yard. The problem now is that she is intermittently vomiting up bile. It does not happen everyday.

I believe her behavior is because our youngest daughter is a freshman in college and away from home for the first time in the dog's life. The dog is very active and playful and nothing else is different. Should we be concerned, what can we do?

Shay from Ewing NJ

I wouldn't take any chances. You should take her to the vet.

I agree you should check with your vet. Out Basset Hound was vomiting bright yellow bile, usually happened overnight. She was diagnosed as having a form of acid reflux, and the problem was solved by dividing her feeding into 3 times a day, one of them right before bedtime. It was a simple fix and worked like a charm.

I agree you should check with your vet. Our Basset Hound was vomiting bright, yellow bile, usually overnight. Tokk her in to the vet, and he diagnosed it as a form of acid reflux. We fixed the problem by dividing up her feedings 3 times a day, with the final one right before bed. Worked like a charm!

If you can have this vet-checked it would be best. Bile is not a sign of a happy digestive system. Your daughter would not want to hear bad news about the dog, would she?

I took her to the vet. She has an infection of the bile duct, the vet give her IV antibiotics, steriod shot for inflammation and oral antibiotics. She goes back for follow up in 2 weeks. Thank you to everyone who responded.

My dog was throwing up and now he does not want to eat. What can I do?

Dennis from Bronx, NY

Dennis, this type of problem can turn so serious so quickly, I suggest calling your vet right away. There are many different things that might be causing it, but guessing wrong could endanger your dog's life. If you don't have the money, beg or borrow enough to get him to the vet ASAP. Good luck, and keep us posted on his recovery.

This just happened to us recently. Our dog ate cat poop and some of the litter got stuck. They did some tests, put her on antibiotics and fluids. Yes, it was about $600, but worth it! If you have to, just have them do an xray to see if there is pancritis or a blockage, then decide what to do from there. That was only about $100.

Take your pet to the vet! It could be something serious! If you really love your pet, you don't want them sick and suffering, GO TO THE VET ASAP! :)

Take your dog to the veterinarian. Could be very serious!

I have a black pug. From time to time she vomits her food. Not often. Is there anything out there my pug can eat that won't upset here already upset stomach.

Jane

Your dog may have a food allergy. Your best bet is to contact your vet and make an appt to get your dog checked out.

Hi Jane- I've referred to this website from time to time and it's helped. Hopefully it will help you out as well. http://www.veti  om/dogindex.html

Have you tried changing the food at all? If your pug is getting older, her stomach might be more sensitive than it once was... Hope this helps!

try tinned rice pudding. It must be tinned - home made doesn't seem to work!

We have a Pekingese with the same problem. We have found that Chicken flavor Pounce hairball treats help greatly. He has stopped vomiting as long as I remember to feed them to him.

Hope that helps