Caring for a Neglected Dog

Neglected Dog
Many of the rescue dogs up for adoption or foster have suffered from neglect with their former owners. This is a guide about caring for a neglected dog.

I recently got a dog a Pug/Boston Terrier mix she is a sweet girl. She will be 2 on March 17. For the first part of her life, till 2 days ago when I got her she lived in a outdoor kennel with no human socializing. She is a very scared girl. She is not aggressive or anything. She ate right away and does take treats now, but still runs when we move or get too close.

Any advice how to help her trust us and not be so scared? I love her already. She is in heat, so I am not even sure if she is pregnant or not yet. I am taking her to vet, but any advice will help. Thanks.

By Liz from Stuart, FL

Anonymous
Best Answer

I listened to part of what Robyn Fed suggested and I think it's really good! Beyond that, just talk to your baby in quiet and positive tones and reward her with lots of petting and cuddling when she does start coming to you for attention on her own. It may take a month or six months but she will come around once she's used to you and knows she can trust you :-) God Bless you for bringing her in to your wonderful heart and home!

Best Answer

How wonderful you are giving her a chance at a new and normal life. Hopefully she will come around in time for you. Just being kind, loving and patient with her will do wonders. Good luck, and for the life of me I cannot figure out or understand why someone gets an animal if they are just going to neglect it or abuse it. It makes me sad and mad. God Bless you and your newest addition. Thanks for sharing.

Best Answer

You need to watch the "Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic Channel. What he does for shy dogs is he sits on the ground, does not have eye contact with the dog and let the dog come to you. Do not force the dog to come to you. You may have to do this several times but eventually the dog will learn to trust you.

We just received a dog and she is thin. You can feel spine and ribs. I also noticed that her teeth are not in great condition. What should I do?

By Vicky from Grand Prairie, TX

Best Answer

Hello,

Your first step should be to a veterinarian. Have your fur baby examined and have her teeth checked. She might not be eating because she has dental problems, your veterinarian can recommend any treatment necessary to keep her healthy. He can also prescribe a healthy diet for her. You should also have your veterinarian do a blood panel on her to make sure she does not have any underlying problems. Good luck and thank you for being so kind and taking her in. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Sherri, Tucker, Bears & Punnie