Caring for an Air Plant

Caring for an Air Plant
If you have a location with bright indirect light you might want to try growing an air plant. They are fairly easy to care for. This is a guide about caring for an air plant.

Air plants are easy to care for and fun to have. While air plants don't require any soil, they do need bright, indirect light. They can also thrive under fluorescent lights making them a good office plant.

Air plants don't need to be planted the way other plants do. You can display them in numerous creative ways. Suspend them from the ceiling by gently attaching a string to the plant, set it inside the opening of a pretty shell, lay it on a piece of driftwood, or get creative and tuck it somewhere interesting around the house. If you chose to put it in some type of container, it is best to fill the bottom of the container with sand, gravel, rocks, etc. to ensure that the plant doesn't sit in any standing water. I used crushed glass and tucked a little piece of moss in to add some color. :)

Air plants have to have water to survive. The easiest way to keep your plant well watered is to give it a weekly dunk in a bowl of room temperature water. To do this fill the bowl with water just deep enough to submerge the plant (avoid getting blooms wet). Allow the air plant to soak in the water for about 20 minutes, then return it to its home. If you live somewhere that is very dry you should also mist your air plant between waterings. Simply use a spray bottle to get the plant dripping wet.

If you do not have any luck with keeping plants alive or you do not have the time to maintain indoor plants, and want some green in your office, or home - an air plant will be ideal for you!

Ideally, air plants only need to be watered once a week. Dip your air plants into water for about 10 minutes and allow the plants to dry before putting the air plant back into its environment. In my case, I like to display my air plants on top of rocks in a glass square vase. Or, you can mist the plant once in a while, if needed.

Honestly, I only dip my air plants once every other week and when I remember, I will mist. So far, still green and looks beautifully displayed.

Add an airplane to your troll doll in place of its original hair to give it a little more personality. This is a guide about how to make air plant trolls.

Air Plant Trolls - trolls with plants added

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes