Carving Pumpkins for Halloween

It is pumpkin carving time, a few helpful tips and tricks can help make it a fun experience for all. This is a guide about carving pumpkins for Halloween.

October 30, 2014 Flag

Pumpkin decoration of my favorite subjects - cats!

Total Time: 1 hour

• 4 pumpkins
  • black tempera paint
  • knife for cutting pumpkins
  • tiny string lights
  • 8 toothpicks (2 for each ear) to hold on the cats ears

1. Carve out two cat faces, your choice of expressions and use the scraps and a toothpick to hold the ears in place.
  2. Carve out the insides of the two pumpkins.
  3. Paint all four pumpkins black.
  4. Let dry.
  5. Add tiny lights inside......ooooouuuu.... Happy Halloween everyone!
  6. Ad
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cute!

October 25, 2011 Flag

I just came across this website a minute ago and I wanted to share it with all of you! It's http://www.pumpkinpile.com/

They offer hundreds of downloads of pumpkin carving stencils and patterns for free! I just flipped through them, and I want all of them. I'm going to use a lot of these stencils for other art projects in the future. Go check them out! Have a fantastic Halloween! :)

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yea well you get what you pay for,

Check out stoneykins.com, Patterns are Cheap and incredible.

October 24, 2006 Flag

Beautifully carved pumpkins

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Each year my husband adds a couple of carvings to his collection. We light the pumpkins each evening during the month of October. I really wish all of you could bring your children and grandchildren by to see them.

October 9, 2008 Flag

A flower or sun pattern carved into a pumpkin.

Before you select your pumpkins, decide on your carving design and your Halloween decorating goals. Do you need several pumpkins of a uniform size to line your walkway or a trio of pumpkins to create a display on your porch? Make a list of your needs before you go shopping so you can select pumpkins in the sizes and shapes that best fit with your decorating plan.

October 13, 2005 Flag

Halloween is right around the corner. This page contains some Jack O'Lantern carving tips and resources. Feel free to post your own tips.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2009 Flag

Templates for dog breeds pumpkin carving for Autumn decorating can be printed and photocopy for the size that you want for the pumpkin to be carved with your favorite canine friend(s)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2007 Flag

Hickory dickory dock pumpkin decoration.

Think outside the box when crafting pumpkins. Note: this one is a fake pumpkin which lasts forever

October 5, 2004 Flag

After you have carved your halloween Jack o'lantern light him up with a set of twinkle lights set inside. You can use the battery operated kind or cut a hole low in the back and run the cord thru to the outlet.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2012 Flag

I felt a shock when touching a neighbor's pumpkin which used lights in the pumpkin. Caution is advised.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2005 Flag

When using those pumpkin carving kits that poke holes for you to carve over, rub some flour over the holes to make them more visible to you.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2004 Flag

Are you ready to carve those pumpkins? You may have already but with Halloween landing on a Sunday this year there is always time to do more. Here are some sites with lots of information on pumpkin carving:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 26, 2006 Flag

Today's poll asks: Are you carving a pumpkin (or pumpkins) this year?

Feel free to post feedback about this poll below.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

October 22, 2012 Flag

First time carving a pumpkin, and I thought I'd done an awesome job! The next day, I brought my mom out to the front porch to brag about my masterpiece, and it was certainly nothing to brag about anymore.

By Alygator from Louisville, Ky

A pumpkin that sagged after being carved

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Not your fault. Obviously a substandard pumpkin. Jack o 'lanterns should last about a week. It might do this if it had been frozen, but I don't think that is going to be a factor where you are.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

October 31, 2008 Flag

This is the jack-o-lantern that I carved for my 8 month old son. It is a real pumpkin and was hand carved using only wood carving tools and a rotary tool. My family and I carved an additional 4 pumpkins the same way, each to reflect on the persons interests.

By Amy J from Oak Grove, KY

CoolPumpkins605x630.jpg

Dregan's First Pumpkin

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Wow, I'm impressed! Those pumpkins look great!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

November 1, 2008 Flag

When we asked my 3 yr. old grandson how he wanted his jack-o-lantern's face to look, he told us he wanted an "Oh, no! pumpkin" and made the face. This is what it looks like. We carved the top opening zig-zag and we lifted it up, turned it a little and set it on top to look like a hat.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Carved pumpkin

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

very adorable !

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

October 31, 2008 Flag

Carved and lighted pumpkins

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Here are two pumpkins carved by Aiden (7) and Avery (4). Aiden carved a killer robot and Avery carved a rabid mouse. We used stencils that we purchased for $3 at Fred Meyer and it made it super easy to carve something neat.

October 30, 2014 Flag

Golfing Jack-O-Lantern

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

My favorite local diner has a customer that brings in an awesome Jack-o-lantern each year. The diner has a golf theme and so does the pumpkin. I love how detailed it is!

November 16, 2015 Flag

Family Pumpkins 2015

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

My son and I had so much fun with this. It was a little harder than we thought and both of us messed up our patterns but in the end it was the time spent together that I remember when I see these now.

November 9, 2007 Flag

Scary Pumpkin

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

This scary pumpkin won a prize! He is pretty scary, huh.

November 1, 2010 Flag

Carved jack-o-lanterns only last a little while. You can extend the life of the lil'Critter by taping (double sided tape) black construction paper cut into eyes/nose/mouth shapes until just a day or two before Halloween. When ready to carve, just remove, and have fun : )

By Doggy from SA TX

Skip the Mask and Use Makeup Instead

Skip the mask this Halloween and use makeup instead. Masks are hot and uncomfortable and they limit kids vision. They also really scare the little kids. Use your cosmetics or Halloween make-up and everyone will be more comfortable and safer!

By Linda L from Vista, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Holidays and Parties Halloween Pumpkin CarvingOctober 16, 2012
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
painted pumpkins
Decorating Pumpkins Without Carving Them
Cupcakes decorated as pumpkins.
Making Pumpkin Cupcakes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:07:27 AM on 10.0.2.237 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.