Carving Pumpkins for Halloween

It is pumpkin carving time, a few helpful tips and tricks can help make it a fun experience for all. This is a guide about carving pumpkins for Halloween.

October 22, 2012 Flag

First time carving a pumpkin, and I thought I'd done an awesome job! The next day, I brought my mom out to the front porch to brag about my masterpiece, and it was certainly nothing to brag about anymore.

By Alygator from Louisville, Ky

A pumpkin that sagged after being carved

I like the "bad" one

Not your fault. Obviously a substandard pumpkin. Jack o 'lanterns should last about a week. It might do this if it had been frozen, but I don't think that is going to be a factor where you are.

October 30, 2014 Flag

Pumpkin decoration of my favorite subjects - cats!

Total Time: 1 hour

• 4 pumpkins
  • black tempera paint
  • knife for cutting pumpkins
  • tiny string lights
  • 8 toothpicks (2 for each ear) to hold on the cats ears

1. Carve out two cat faces, your choice of expressions and use the scraps and a toothpick to hold the ears in place.
  2. Carve out the insides of the two pumpkins.
  3. Paint all four pumpkins black.
  4. Let dry.
  5. Add tiny lights inside......ooooouuuu.... Happy Halloween everyone!
  6. Ad

October 25, 2011 Flag

I just came across this website a minute ago and I wanted to share it with all of you! It's

They offer hundreds of downloads of pumpkin carving stencils and patterns for free! I just flipped through them, and I want all of them. I'm going to use a lot of these stencils for other art projects in the future. Go check them out! Have a fantastic Halloween! :)

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Yea well you get what you pay for,

Check out, Patterns are Cheap and incredible.

October 24, 2006 Flag

Each year my husband adds a couple of carvings to his collection. We light the pumpkins each evening during the month of October. I really wish all of you could bring your children and grandchildren by to see them.

Beautifully carved pumpkins

October 31, 2008 Flag

This is the jack-o-lantern that I carved for my 8 month old son. It is a real pumpkin and was hand carved using only wood carving tools and a rotary tool. My family and I carved an additional 4 pumpkins the same way, each to reflect on the persons interests.

By Amy J from Oak Grove, KY

Dregan's First Pumpkin

What a wonderful idea; a truly special memory for your little guy. Happy Halloween! Thanks for sharing.

Wow, I'm impressed! Those pumpkins look great!

November 1, 2008 Flag

When we asked my 3 yr. old grandson how he wanted his jack-o-lantern's face to look, he told us he wanted an "Oh, no! pumpkin" and made the face. This is what it looks like.

Carved pumpkin

October 9, 2008 Flag

Halloween has become a huge holiday. According to a survey conducted by the National Retail Federation, consumers spent $3.29 billion dollars on Halloween in 2005. Of that $3.29 billion, $840 million was spent on decorations-second only to Christmas in holiday home decor. Talk about frightening! Even with all newfangled lighting effects, fog machines and animatronics designed to create hair-raising effects, a carved pumpkin is still the best and least expensive way to create a haunting Halloween scene.

Here are some tips for selecting and carving the perfect Jack-O-Lantern.

Selecting the Perfect Pumpkins

Carving Tips and Tricks

Jack-O-Lantern Lighting

Keeping Pumpkins Fresh

Pumpkin As Planters

pumpkin centerpiece

Preparing and Freezing Pumpkin Meat

Roasting Seeds

Preparation: Wash the seeds well and stir with oil in bowl. Spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle salt, garlic salt or Italian herbs on top if desired. Bake at 250 degrees F. until slightly brown, turning them over every half hour. When they're done, they'll be crunchy. Variations include soaking the seeds in butter, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for 1 hour prior to roasting.

Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils

A quick search on the web will turn up lots of links for free carving stencils. Here are a few to get you started:

My favorite pumpkin carving tool is a wallboard saw. We have used the same one for years. Makes carving the big ones quick and easy and seems safer than a knife. It is certainly much faster. They cost a couple dollars.

October 31, 2008 Flag

Here are two pumpkins carved by Aiden (7) and Avery (4). Aiden carved a killer robot and Avery carved a rabid mouse. We used stencils that we purchased for $3 at Fred Meyer and it made it super easy to carve something neat.

Carved and lighted pumpkins

October 13, 2005 Flag

Halloween is right around the corner. This page contains some Jack O'Lantern carving tips and resources. Feel free to post your own tips.

* Cut the hole in the bottom of the pumpkin instead of the top. It makes it easier to deal with the candle.

* Sprinkle cinnamon in your pumpkin for a great smell.

* If you make a mistake carving, use a toothpick to reattach pieces.

* Create elaborate designs by carving with a pattern.

Find some great patterns online at

* You may want to consider painting or drawing a face on your pumpkin. Then you can can eat the pumpkin after Halloween.

* Be sure to compost your pumpkin after Halloween.

* Save the seeds and bake them for a delicious snack.

Pumpkin Seed Baking Instructions:

They are quick, easy, healthy and delicious.

1. Preheat oven to 350 F

2. Rinse seeds until they are clean.

3. Let the seeds dry

4. Coat a baking sheet with vegetable oil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Once cooked, you can eat the seeds with the shell on or off. Sprinkle salt or other seasoning on the seeds before baking, if desired. For saltier seeds, boil the seeds in salt water for 5 to 10 minutes before baking.

What great ideas, I wish I had thought of this 40 years ago.

It is great to see such creative minds. Barb

October 5, 2009 Flag

Templates for dog breeds pumpkin carving for Autumn decorating can be printed and photocopy for the size that you want for the pumpkin to be carved with your favorite canine friend(s)

My dog Jess is a Jack Russell/beagle, and since her face looks more like a beagle, the beagle template looks the most like her for carving. There are lots of other templates, and the author of the templates will also ask others for more ideas for dog breeds as well as she will do cat ones too, though it looks like there will be more templates for next year ready, not this year. Some of others here can probably make their own templates for their pets too, and this would be a great place to add into for templates for carving pumpkins!

Source: my friend sent this link to me this morning on Facebook

By Kathi from Grand Rapids, MI

This site is on Better Homes and Garden, and when you click on the pictures of the dogs and templates, BHG will put an ad for itself covering everything, so, just scroll down to the bottom right of it, and turn the ad off, then you can see all of the dogs and templates then. :)

I don't know, it may just be a problem with a cookie blocked, but, prior before, I could sign in to Better Homes and Garden, and I could download the template. I keep signing in, and it keeps saying that I'm not signed in. I sent for the password, which they did, and it was the one I used before, and it's still not working. Then I changed the password, and it's still is not letting me log in.

I'm wondering if anyone is having any problems with it too? I guess the next thing I have to do now is to go checking to see if the cookie is possibly blocked, and fix that. . .but, if it's still ok, I don't know what else to check then. It could be their site the problem, and not me.

I can still go everywhere in the site, except for downloading the template. Is anyone having any problems with it too? It could be their site with the problem.

October 10, 2007 Flag

Think outside the box when crafting pumpkins. Note: this one is a fake pumpkin which lasts forever

Hickory dickory dock pumpkin decoration.

Load More
Holidays and Parties Halloween Pumpkin CarvingOctober 16, 2012
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
painted pumpkins
Decorating Pumpkins Without Carving Them
Cupcakes decorated as pumpkins.
Making Pumpkin Cupcakes