Browsing: Carving Pumpkins for Halloween

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Carving Pumpkins for Halloween

It is pumpkin carving time, a few helpful tips and tricks can help make it a fun experience for all. This is a guide about carving pumpkins for Halloween.

Carving Pumpkins for Halloween
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 30, 2014 Flag

Pumpkin decoration of my favorite subjects - cats!

Total Time: 1 hourtwo black cat pumpkins made from a smaller carved face pumpkin on top of a larger one

• 4 pumpkins
  • black tempera paint
  • knife for cutting pumpkins
  • tiny string lights
  • 8 toothpicks (2 for each ear) to hold on the cats ears

1. Carve out two cat faces, your choice of expressions and use the scraps and a toothpick to hold the ears in place.
  2. Carve out the insides of the two pumpkins.
  3. Paint all four pumpkins black.
  4. Let dry.
  5. Add tiny lights inside......ooooouuuu.... Happy Halloween everyone!

October 22, 2012 Flag

First time carving a pumpkin, and I thought I'd done an awesome job! The next day, I brought my mom out to the front porch to brag about my masterpiece, and it was certainly nothing to brag about anymore.

By Alygator from Louisville, Ky

A pumpkin that sagged after being carved

October 25, 2011 Flag

I just came across this website a minute ago and I wanted to share it with all of you! It's http://www.pumpkinpile.com/

They offer hundreds of downloads of pumpkin carving stencils and patterns for free! I just flipped through them, and I want all of them. I'm going to use a lot of these stencils for other art projects in the future. Go check them out! Have a fantastic Halloween! :)

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

October 24, 2006 Flag

Each year my husband adds a couple of carvings to his collection. We light the pumpkins each evening during the month of October. I really wish all of you could bring your children and grandchildren by to see them.

Beautifully carved pumpkins

October 31, 2008 Flag

This is the jack-o-lantern that I carved for my 8 month old son. It is a real pumpkin and was hand carved using only wood carving tools and a rotary tool. My family and I carved an additional 4 pumpkins the same way, each to reflect on the persons interests.

By Amy J from Oak Grove, KY

CoolPumpkins605x630.jpg

Dregan's First Pumpkin

November 1, 2008 Flag

When we asked my 3 yr. old grandson how he wanted his jack-o-lantern's face to look, he told us he wanted an "Oh, no! pumpkin" and made the face. This is what it looks like. We carved the top opening zig-zag and we lifted it up, turned it a little and set it on top to look like a hat.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Carved pumpkin

October 9, 2008 Flag

A flower or sun pattern carved into a pumpkin.Halloween has become a huge holiday. According to a survey conducted by the National Retail Federation, consumers spent $3.29 billion dollars on Halloween in 2005. Of that $3.29 billion, $840 million was spent on decorations-second only to Christmas in holiday home decor. Talk about frightening! Even with all newfangled lighting effects, fog machines and animatronics designed to create hair-raising effects, a carved pumpkin is still the best and least expensive way to create a haunting Halloween scene.

Here are some tips for selecting and carving the perfect Jack-O-Lantern.

Selecting the Perfect Pumpkins

Carving Tips and Tricks

Jack-O-Lantern Lighting

Keeping Pumpkins Fresh

Pumpkin As Planters

pumpkin centerpiece

Preparing and Freezing Pumpkin Meat

Roasting Seeds

Preparation: Wash the seeds well and stir with oil in bowl. Spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle salt, garlic salt or Italian herbs on top if desired. Bake at 250 degrees F. until slightly brown, turning them over every half hour. When they're done, they'll be crunchy. Variations include soaking the seeds in butter, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for 1 hour prior to roasting.

Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils

A quick search on the web will turn up lots of links for free carving stencils. Here are a few to get you started:

October 31, 2008 Flag

Here are two pumpkins carved by Aiden (7) and Avery (4). Aiden carved a killer robot and Avery carved a rabid mouse. We used stencils that we purchased for $3 at Fred Meyer and it made it super easy to carve something neat.

Carved and lighted pumpkins

October 13, 2005 Flag

Halloween is right around the corner. This page contains some Jack O'Lantern carving tips and resources. Feel free to post your own tips.

October 5, 2009 Flag

Templates for dog breeds pumpkin carving for Autumn decorating can be printed and photocopy for the size that you want for the pumpkin to be carved with your favorite canine friend(s)

My dog Jess is a Jack Russell/beagle, and since her face looks more like a beagle, the beagle template looks the most like her for carving. There are lots of other templates, and the author of the templates will also ask others for more ideas for dog breeds as well as she will do cat ones too, though it looks like there will be more templates for next year ready, not this year. Some of others here can probably make their own templates for their pets too, and this would be a great place to add into Thriftyfun.com for templates for carving pumpkins!

Source: my friend sent this link to me this morning on Facebook

By Kathi from Grand Rapids, MI

View This Page

This page is not on ThriftyFun, but we had to share it. Be sure to come back and rate it.

October 10, 2007 Flag

Hickory dickory dock pumpkin decoration.Think outside the box when crafting pumpkins. Note: this one is a fake pumpkin which lasts forever

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

I decided to go outside the box and do hickory dickory dock.

1. I took a faux pumpkin and I had a clock with a removable face clock and cut hole halfway to fit the clock piece. If you don't have one, you can either buy new clock pieces at craft store or, cheaper, buy used clock at a yard sale or consignment shop.
  2. I took brown paper and cut out shape of clock leaving a space where the pendulum goes.
  3. I bought a cheap wooden balsa wood unfinished piece from Michael's for $1.00 and took it apart and used brown marker to paint it brown. I used this piece for top ornamental piece on clock and bottom part to give it a 3 dimensional effect.
  4. I bought mice patches and used 2 to add to clock.
  5. I cut out brown craft paper to make pendulum and used yellow marker on wooden circle and glued them on.
  6. I cut the pumpkin to show pendulum and put a faux battery operated tea light as a real flame would melt the faux pumpkin.

Use your creative juices and think outside the normal Halloween realm.

By Carol from MA

November 16, 2015 Flag

My son and I had so much fun with this. It was a little harder than we thought and both of us messed up our patterns but in the end it was the time spent together that I remember when I see these now.

Family Pumpkins 2015

October 5, 2004 Flag

After you have carved your Halloween Jack o'lantern light him up with a set of twinkle lights set inside. You can use the battery operated kind or cut a hole low in the back and run the cord thru to the outlet.

By Debra in CO

October 30, 2014 Flag

My favorite local diner has a customer that brings in an awesome Jack-o-lantern each year. The diner has a golf theme and so does the pumpkin. I love how detailed it is!

Golfing Jack-O-Lantern

Load More
Holidays and Parties Halloween Pumpkin CarvingOctober 16, 2012
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
painted pumpkins
Decorating Pumpkins Without Carving Them
Cupcakes decorated as pumpkins.
Making Pumpkin Cupcakes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:18:00 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.