Cat Digging in House Plants

How do you keep a cat from digging in house plants?

By Joey from NY, NY

Answers:

Cat Digging in House Plants

DO NOT USE any kind of pepper or mothballs! Mothballs are poison to animals. Pepper burns their eyes so badly that they will actually scratch their eyes right out to get rid of the pain. Use citrus scents. Cats don't like the smell of citrus, oranges and lemons, or cover the dirt up with crumpled foil, a paper plate with double sided sticky tape on it, or coffee grounds. I cut the top off a 2 litre bottle, wrapped it around the plant stem, and the cats can't get at the soil. You use the top with the pouring hole. Slit it up one side and put it around the stem with the spout up and the cut part over the soil, like a tent! (10/31/2009)

By catastrofy

Cat Digging in House Plants

I used to have cats that did that. I took some large rocks and placed them on top of the soil. You don't have to cover every inch, just enough so they have no room to dig. Make sure they are big enough that the cats can't move them. There is enough air space for the plant and the cat can't find room to dig. This worked great. Bricks would work, but the rocks were really nice looking and did the job well. (11/01/2009)

By c t

Cat Digging in House Plants

I also use pebbles in my houseplants, it keeps my cat from digging plus it looks good, too. NO mothballs, they are bad to breathe the fumes for you and the kitty. (11/01/2009)

By foxyroxy

Cat Digging in House Plants

I use seashells. You can find them at any craft store. They are pretty and the cats don't want to stand on them. (11/02/2009)

By Bethmom1961

Cat Digging in House Plants

Use the mesh bags that onions come in to cover up the soil. Cats don't like it because their claws get caught in it. (11/03/2009)

By PICO

Cat Digging in House Plants

Do not use mothballs and please, do not use black pepper. It is fatal to cats. (06/17/2010)

By Maryeileen

A cat in a house plant.
Keeping Cats Out of House Plants
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Brown squirrel eating
Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants
Dog digging at the beach.
Training a Dog to Stop Digging
🎉
🎄